Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alexandra, Countess of Fredensbourg - NEWS & EVENTS  (Read 86121 times)
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #180 on: October 27, 2017, 03:52:45 PM »

So if Alex had meant it as encouragement for women to choose whatever is right for them and for their family, great. But I didn't read it that way. I think it was a jab at being a divorced woman whose children have a second home base, and as such the "grass" mother could be accused of "having nothing efficient and productive to do".

I agree that it's more about Alex brushing the cobwebs of herself and her years of doing very little by suggesting she's been very, very busy mothering. She probably has been but not more busy than most other mothers, I'd think. But I think it's about her views of herself more that on mother's in general. As I said: we don't really have stay at home mothers in Denmark so I could easily see her ego be a little frail in that regard.
onar

Large Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: October 27, 2017, 07:28:36 PM »

This and the mothers who write of their facebook profile (in the section of occupation) "full-time mommy". Like what? A working mother isn't a full-time mother? Is she a mother only the hours she is at home with her children? Why fathers don't put "full-time father" in their profiles? Unfortunately this is a very usual phenomenon in greek society/greek profiles on facebook. I don't know about other countries.

In many countries being a stay at home mother is a possibility - in some it's not really - so it kind of makes sense to have it as part of your online profile, if it's something that means a lot to you and how you see yourself IMO. In Denmark you can't really be a stay at home mother so it's not something you see here, but I can certainly understand why a woman, who for some reason is a stay at home mother would want to emphasise that it's as good as a full time job Smiley
It's very usual here too, mothers quitting their jobs to stay at home. In Greece, many people still think that a woman should stay at home and raise her children and there's no reason or need for her to have a job and money on her own. Unfortunately, we're 50 years back in some matters.

Rebecca

Mini Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: October 27, 2017, 08:04:11 PM »

This and the mothers who write of their facebook profile (in the section of occupation) "full-time mommy". Like what? A working mother isn't a full-time mother? Is she a mother only the hours she is at home with her children? Why fathers don't put "full-time father" in their profiles? Unfortunately this is a very usual phenomenon in greek society/greek profiles on facebook. I don't know about other countries.

In many countries being a stay at home mother is a possibility - in some it's not really - so it kind of makes sense to have it as part of your online profile, if it's something that means a lot to you and how you see yourself IMO. In Denmark you can't really be a stay at home mother so it's not something you see here, but I can certainly understand why a woman, who for some reason is a stay at home mother would want to emphasise that it's as good as a full time job Smiley

I am a stay at home mother myself (in the US). I realize this is OT, but why is it not really possible to do that in Denmark? Is it a cost of living issue?
cordtx

Warned
Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: October 27, 2017, 08:13:06 PM »

I was kind of wondering the same thing. Most of my peers went to college and then worked a few years until kids. They stayed home if they could afford it. Also, childcare is so expensive sometimes it's cheaper to stay home.
I worked always because my mom didn't so she watched my kids, plus I'd kill myself if I sat around the house all day.
So is childcare cheaper in Denmark?
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #184 on: October 27, 2017, 08:16:28 PM »

I am a stay at home mother myself (in the US). I realize this is OT, but why is it not really possible to do that in Denmark? Is it a cost of living issue?

Yes. Youíd need one hefty income for a family to live comfortably and itís also not possible to get any kind of public income unless youíre available and willing to work so you would be stuck with one income (this would also have an impact on pension savings as theyíre organised through your income). Since we have no tradition for it, the whole system is minded for everyone working. This also means all children, more or less, go to both daycare and especially kindergarten so children not in kindergarten would probably have problems getting play dates and the support/proper preparation for school as itís all organised through kindergartens.
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #185 on: October 27, 2017, 08:23:14 PM »

I was kind of wondering the same thing. Most of my peers went to college and then worked a few years until kids. They stayed home if they could afford it. Also, childcare is so expensive sometimes it's cheaper to stay home.
I worked always because my mom didn't so she watched my kids, plus I'd kill myself if I sat around the house all day.
So is childcare cheaper in Denmark?

I believe it is. You can also get a lower price depending on your income.

Roughly speaking itís mostly women from non-Danish backgrounds that stay at home, sometimes claiming itís against their culture and/or religion to work. Itís a cause for social problems because their husbands rarely work in a higher paying job, then they will apply for welfare and wonít get it or will get it but in a lower rate and thus these families end up rather poor. In a society minded on everyone working signaling you wonít doesnít work well either.
Lots of women work part time though, I guess itís our version of staying at home.
Phina

Medium Member

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: October 31, 2017, 07:03:35 PM »

Alexandra has recently co-authored a book published by Stanford University Press:

The Sincerity Edge: How Ethical Leaders Build Dynamic Businesses

Recognizing their role as "corporate citizens," companies are seeking guidance on how to be true to their missions, principled in practice, and well regarded for their contributions to society. As this book reveals, the key lies in sincerity―the sum of values like authenticity, integrity, and trust.

About the Authors
Alexandra Christina, Countess of Frederiksborg is a board member of Ferring Pharmaceuticals International in Switzerland and Patron of Danish Parkinson Disease Association and the Danish Association of the Blind.

Timothy L. Fort is the Everleigh Chair in Business Ethics at the Kelley School of Business at Indiana University.

http://www.sup.org/books/title/?id=26476

You can see inside the book here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/...ing=UTF8&qid=&sr=
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: