Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grace Kelly's wedding gown  (Read 7069 times)
Katestolemyname

Micro Member

Norway Norway

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2016, 04:59:17 AM »

Hi all,

Sorry if there's a related topic, I couldn't find a thread regarding this wedding gown so here it goes. I'm interested in your opinions on this dress. I'm marrying my SO this year and I really love Grace Kelly's dress. I've been able to find out her designer and some vintage pieces made by that designer which looks alike in her dress in so many ways.

So, what do you guys think about the dress;

http://orderofsplendor.bl...ng-dresses-2-hsh.html?m=1

(I'll just post a link since I don't have the copyright).

pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 05:27:23 AM »

Hi all,

Sorry if there's a related topic, I couldn't find a thread regarding this wedding gown so here it goes. I'm interested in your opinions on this dress. I'm marrying my SO this year and I really love Grace Kelly's dress. I've been able to find out her designer and some vintage pieces made by that designer which looks alike in her dress in so many ways.

So, what do you guys think about the dress;

http://orderofsplendor.bl...ng-dresses-2-hsh.html?m=1

(I'll just post a link since I don't have the copyright).

I like the dress, but I really hate the veil.  The lace edge doesn't look good against the lace on top of the dress.  The headpiece is just awful.  The dress itself is nice, but I don't care for the way the skirt seems to go in at the ankles.  A more flowing skirt would have been better. 
emtishell

Medium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 07:49:26 AM »

Grace was really playing a role for her wedding..... I feel her dress is more of a costume, what a Hollywood costume designer imagined a royal bride to look like! The juliet cap and veil is heavy in symbolism given this was a VERY catholic wedding....... Selling the idea of the movie star turned virginal Princess...... As the OOS article says, their wedding was very much engineered by MGM as the fairy tale royal wedding
Countess of Cows

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 03:01:20 PM »

http://www.msn.com/en-us/...88/ar-BBqNp0s?form=PRHPTP

One of Grace's best friends died, she was 88, wouldn't it have been wonderful to know Grace at 88 with all her grandchildren (sigh)

"Rita Gam, a glamorous actress who starred in such exotic films as Saadia with Cornel Wilde, Sign of the Pagan with Jack Palance as Attila the Hun and Nicholas Ray's biblical King of Kings, died Tuesday. She was 88. 

Gam, who was director Sidney Lumet's first wife and a bridesmaid at Grace Kelly's 1956 wedding to Prince Rainier,

"I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies." Pietro Aretino

I would rather be hated for something I am, than loved for something I am not. -Bob Marley
Duchess of Verona

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 08:47:25 PM »

Grace's dress always looked to me like it had way to much material. I liked the slimmer version of it that KM wore. Though you'd have to be a twig to wear either of them.
Herazeus
Banned
Banned
Medium Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 03:41:30 PM »

It's so odd to me that people don't realise that Grace Kelly's wedding, dress and service were staged by MGM studios. They were furious that she was breaking her contract to marry a Prince from a then backwater principality even if said principality was in the south of France. Monte Carlo was glamourous, but only if you were disreputable in some respects. Allowing them to stage the wedding was the solution to that niggle.

Ranier and Grace allowed the entire charade to be orchestrated by the studios and best of all didn't pay a cent towards it. It's a testament to how much Hollywood influenced and continues to influence society that not many people realise this. Helen Rose, who designed the wedding dress, wasn't a special designer, she was merely a costume designer who at the time was the head of their costume department. MGM treated the entire wedding like one of their own film productions complete with resurrecting processions, if not making up some outright to create an extravaganza. Their publicity department sold it as the wedding of the century and created a tableau that was straight out of the fevered imagination of their best publicists. There is not one aspect of that wedding that wasn't orchestrated by the production team at MGM studios, no matter the later revisionist history, not least from Helen Rose herself.

They did the same thing for Elizabeth Taylor when she wanted to marry that Conrad 'nicky'hilton - yes, those hiltons. That wedding was capitalised by the film (and it's sequel) father of the bride.

All participants in this fakery knew what the game was and fully participated.

If you want to know which films Helen Rose worked on and to see her work, just go to www.imdb.com and you can see her list of films, and watch those films. If you want to know more about her, she wrote 2 books - just make them beautiful, the glamourous world of Helen Rose.

Helen Rose has gone down in history as the designer of Grace kelly's wedding dress, but really it was just a job lot to her. And if you think it looks like a costume, you are right. It is. From MGM studios. Consider that entire wedding one of their best productions. Oscar worthy.
Countess of Cows

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 03:52:29 PM »

I remember reading Grace saying there were cameras poking out of the flower arrangements and the whole day was such a bad experience she couldn't bear to even look at photo's much less watch the live movie for years

Her life was no fairy tale, it must be such a burden to appear happy and perfect when behind the scenes it's anything but..... Cry

"I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies." Pietro Aretino

I would rather be hated for something I am, than loved for something I am not. -Bob Marley
esther angeline

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 01:23:02 AM »

Grace also said if she and Ranier had had their way, they would have been married in a tiny ceremony up in the mountains.  From all I read it seems like the wedding took on a huge life of its own.
Herazeus
Banned
Banned
Medium Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 05:22:07 AM »

Grace also said if she and Ranier had had their way, they would have been married in a tiny ceremony up in the mountains.  From all I read it seems like the wedding took on a huge life of its own.

The studio planned for for way. That's what you get when a movie studio plans your wedding as a marketing extravaganza for their brand.
DuchessofDuh

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 07:14:05 AM »

That's interesting-I wouldn't have thought that but when I think about the things I've read about Grace it doesn't seem so surprising. 
Countess of Cows

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 01:20:34 AM »

http://www.dailymail.co.u...ous-wedding-60-years.html

Champagne  there are a few pics I've never seen  Thumb up >> the one of her w/Rainer's father and the large detailed dress..... to say she seems miserable in some of those pics is an understatement, now we  know why, what a spectacular circus

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: