Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Patricia, Dowager Countess of Harewood deat at 91  (Read 3028 times)
lellobeetle

Big Member

United States United States

Ignore
« on: May 06, 2018, 11:16:19 AM »

The current Earl of Harewood, David Lascelles, confirmed the news in a statement. On Saturday afternoon he said: I am very sorry to announce the death of my step-mother Patricia, who died peacefully after a long illness on 4th May 2018. She was at her home, Harewood House, where she had lived during her long marriage to my father and where, since his death in 2011, she has continued to live, in a house they both loved."

My thoughts are especially with her sons, Michael Shmith and Mark Lascelles, with her brother Barry Tuckwell and with her wider family both here in the UK and in Australia, where she was born and lived the first part of her life. Her funeral will be held at Harewood and full details will be announced in due course.

The Countess was the widow of George Lascelles, 7th Earl of Harewood, who died in 2011. The Earl was the eldest paternal first cousin of The Queen. They married in Connecticut in 1967.

Patricia was a successful violinist and fashion model in her own right. A huge football fan, Patricia was Honorary President of Leeds United until her death.

Margaret

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 12:04:00 PM »

Another one of HM's contemporaries to slip away.  Patricia was a very beautiful woman in her youth and remained so.

I happened upon this interesting piece about their lives:  http://people.com/archive...yal-welcome-vol-15-no-22/   I hadn't realised he was so controversial. 
LadyBunion

Huge Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 12:17:59 PM »

I happened upon this interesting piece about their lives:  http://people.com/archive...yal-welcome-vol-15-no-22/   I hadn't realised he was so controversial. 

Interesting article, I do remember that Marion was considered to be very much the "wronged woman" in all of this and had much public support. When her engagement to Jeremy Thorpe was announced it was the headline on the TV evening news

Helena

Small Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 04:24:45 AM »

After Lord Harewood's divorce and remarriage, his aunt, Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother exerted a great deal of pressure on the Queen to make ostracize the Earl and his new Countess.  She wanted them banished permanently from the public and private life of the Royal Family at large.    The Queen Mother was only partially successful and only for a relatively short period of time.  The QM also called for the banishment of Lord Harewood's younger brother, Gerald after his divorce and remarriage, which was rich considering Princess Margaret divorced around the same time.   As a result, Gerald's first wife remained on good terms with her aunt-by-marriage and was a frequent guest of the Queen Mother until her death.

During an interview  Lord Harewood had with an author who was researching a book, the author later recounted that the Queen Mother's name came up and the Earl's reaction was to roll his eyes saying sharply, "Oh, her."
lellobeetle

Big Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 04:58:07 AM »

Now that is a juicy bit of dish. Thank you.  That is the kind of information that adds a lot of shading to an otherwise highly whitewashed facade. Many thanks.  Star

Olya

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 02:10:55 PM »

After Lord Harewood's divorce and remarriage, his aunt, Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother exerted a great deal of pressure on the Queen to make ostracize the Earl and his new Countess.  She wanted them banished permanently from the public and private life of the Royal Family at large.    The Queen Mother was only partially successful and only for a relatively short period of time.  The QM also called for the banishment of Lord Harewood's younger brother, Gerald after his divorce and remarriage, which was rich considering Princess Margaret divorced around the same time.   As a result, Gerald's first wife remained on good terms with her aunt-by-marriage and was a frequent guest of the Queen Mother until her death.

During an interview  Lord Harewood had with an author who was researching a book, the author later recounted that the Queen Mother's name came up and the Earl's reaction was to roll his eyes saying sharply, "Oh, her."

Laughing Laughing Laughing

What hypocrisy, as you say, Margaret divorced herself and was with a married man who divorced because of her!! Snare Thumb down
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: