Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hundreds of charities to lose royal support  (Read 11583 times)
rosella
Banned
Banned
Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2016, 10:07:29 PM »

Palmer said 'a long term role' in public life for Charles's siblings may very well not be on the cards in the new reign. Charles certainly wouldn't be able to cut the Wessexes and Anne off at the pass so to speak if they continued to work for their charities and patronages, especially at the beginning of his reign. There might be a question of who is going to pay for their security while they are performing these duties though. IMHO I don't think that any of this will happen overnight.

However I do think Charles's  long term view is that the BRF is now too large, that it should be cut down to perhaps half a dozen full time royals including King and Queen, and that Foundations encompassing several large important charities be given to each full time Royal, with the smaller charities falling by the wayside. This will take some time to accomplish, I've got no doubt, but I do think that's the plan, and his family are to be the centrepiece.
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2016, 11:18:19 PM »

IMO the working part of the BRF is too large to continue under Charles. That being said I cannot imagine him kicking nether Anne, nor the Wessex' out of the door. Perhaps Andrew Beer IMO they'll keep working and supporting him (because it's pretty damn evident that W&K aren't up to snuff and Harry + wife won't be enough, even if they work full time either) but with time they will retire. Then at some point I guess it'll be up to William to sort out how he imagines his reign will work Clown IMO a pretty smart move from Charles. He's giving William enough rope to hang himself. I doubt the monarchy will make it after Charles, which seems fitting somehow actually.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2016, 12:14:28 PM »

I don't think that the Wessex or Anne have anything to worry about. They aren't going to be fired and out of jobs under Charles' reign. I think his idea of streamlining simply indicates that neither of the younger generation such as the York girls (who apparently do nothing but party) and his other nieces and nephs will be needed in the future. Probably also that Anne will eventually slow down and enjoy her family and pastimes a bit more.
They would downsize to dutch sizes with only the souvereign couple, the crownprincely couple (and heck, dutch cp Amalia is still in school and works more than this crownprincely couple!!!) and the spare (with his wife).
Doable IMO.
I don't know about the effect of an official "Royal patronage" vs some other charity. But if it is only the seal of approval and no other interaction is requested, than they could keep the 1000 patronages going. After all, neither Kate nor William are doing anything to sing about for their 3 or 4 charities.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
ralf103

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2016, 10:04:32 PM »

I completely agree with a future RF being smaller, no other RF has 11 working members all doing full time stuff but I would hate to see anyone pushed to the curb for it to happen. I think in future the RF will be smaller anyway, Edward's child don't use titles and the york girls can't pass theirs on.
jigmesjigga

Medium Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2016, 08:20:39 PM »

I think by the time all of this shakes down, the most likely to be downsized (the more distant cousins) will be of an age where they don't want to work as much anymore anyway.  I have to assume the Duke of Gloucester inherited some money from his mother (she was a Buccleuch, and that is one of the wealthier dukedoms).  I think the Kents and the Gloucesters could easily find directorships on their own without relying on Buckingham Palace to hand out official patronages. 

I see Anne continuing to work but I don't see her children taking over her work in even close to the same capacity.

We know William and Kate are too lazy to take over the Prince's Trust in full, if at all.  I think Harry is more likely to take over some of those duties.

Andrew - still useless.  His daughters should be cut off completely, seriously, at least from the Royal teat.

Edward and Sophie - I think there were always diminishing returns with them. Does anybody care if they show up for an event? If they were cut off from RF duties, they did both have skills.  If you're not officially getting state money, I assume you are allowed to go ahead and get real jobs.  See Lord Frederick W., Lady Helen's husband Tim, the Gloucester's kids.
ralf103

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2016, 09:13:50 PM »

I think its pretty clear IMO that Anne's children won't take up royal duties and are making their own way in the world, similarly the general opinion seems to be against Beatrice & Eugenie doing full time royal work. I think its fair to guess that as the chose not to give them titles, Edward and Sophie are planning for their children to go out and work in the real world (or as real as it can get for the grandchild of a sovereign). That will in itself slim down the monarchy in the future.
By the time William is king (imagining Charles to have a relatively short reign), the Kents and Gloucesters will probably be happy to not do much more apart from things they are really very much personally interested in.
Even if Anne, Andrew and Ed & Sophie want to carry on with duties they will be that bit older, especially Anne, so I can imagine them only doing things they are personally interested in, perhaps cutting back on some patronages and not taking on new ones. I can imagine Andrew being stopped from doing much overseas work and maybe Ed & Sophie's work for the DofE awards being paid for by the charity in some way so its one less thing coming out of the RF finances (I notice this year they are off to the Bahamas or somewhere exotic for the DofE Awards so I can't imagine William and Kate's Court being that willing to pay for trips like that)

In effect by William's reign we will have:
  • King William
    Queen Catherine
    Princess Consort Camilla (possibly and what a ridiculous title btw)
    The Prince of Wales, Prince George
    Princess Charlotte
    Harry
    Harry's wife
    Anne
    Andrew
    Edward
    Sophie
We could possibly add harry's children but they, and possibly even George and Charlotte, may follow William & kate's well rested footsteps and not take on full time royal duties until they are middle aged by which point Charles' siblings will probably be very much near 'retirement'.

MahiyaBorden

Mini Member

Belgium Belgium

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2016, 11:07:42 AM »

I don't think Harry's kids will become full time royals. My guess would be that they won't use their royals status the same way as Louise and James do.
MarieQueenie

Baby Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2018, 11:57:10 PM »

I don't think Harry's kids will become full time royals. My guess would be that they won't use their royals status the same way as Louise and James do.
Probably yes, but Willy and Harry are involved in chartities that were important to Diana's heart. Maybe they will pass it to their children, even GHarry, who spent his break year from college in Lesotho etc...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: