Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rio Olympics  (Read 59124 times)
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2016, 01:28:47 PM »

Royals present at Olympic games:

It seems that a many of the  female royals who were frequent OG visitors, with exception of Mary, will not go to the Olympic Games in Rio.

Netherlands:  King Willem-Alexander (with prime minister and minister responsible for sports)
Luxembourg: Grand duke Henri & prince Sebastian
Monaco: Prince Albert II
Belgium: King Philippe & Queen Mathilde
Sweden: King Carl Gustaf & Queen Silvia
Denmark: Crown prince Frederik & (crown) princess Mary
Great Britain: princess Anne
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2016, 06:35:30 PM »

I wouldn't go to these Olympics even if I had a first-class air ticket, and was sitting in somebody's royal box. I think the whole idea of awarding the games to Brazil was a huge mistake and that these may well be the most troubles games in history for a whole wide range of well-known problems.
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2016, 06:55:53 PM »

I wouldn't go to these Olympics even if I had a first-class air ticket, and was sitting in somebody's royal box. I think the whole idea of awarding the games to Brazil was a huge mistake and that these may well be the most troubles games in history for a whole wide range of well-known problems.

Since all of them, minus Philippe and Mathilde, the Swedens, and Prince Sebastian are on the committee, I expect them to be there.  They had some involvement (even if it's only in their name) in the planning of these games, the selection of the site, etc.  Since none of them had a problem with Rio being awarded the games, then they have to be there and I'm glad they're going.  It would have been unacceptable if they didn't go, IMO. 
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2016, 06:57:15 PM »

Royals present at Olympic games:

It seems that a many of the  female royals who were frequent OG visitors, with exception of Mary, will not go to the Olympic Games in Rio.

Netherlands:  King Willem-Alexander (with prime minister and minister responsible for sports)
Luxembourg: Grand duke Henri & prince Sebastian
Monaco: Prince Albert II
Belgium: King Philippe & Queen Mathilde
Sweden: King Carl Gustaf & Queen Silvia
Denmark: Crown prince Frederik & (crown) princess Mary + Prince Joachim + Princess Marie
Great Britain: princess Anne

we have the Schack's attending as well.

Larzen

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2016, 10:31:00 AM »

Haakon is going alone from Norway from 17-20 august, i guess aiming for the only really realistic norwegian gold, the handball womens finale.
Duchess of Verona

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2016, 03:39:27 PM »

I sincerely hope that this experience will guide the Olympic Committee in future. There were issues in Sochi and Beijing, but nothing like this. It's one thing to award it to a country with air pollution issues, but asking swimmers to swim in raw sewage thru dead bodies is another. But this is not the first article I've seen about this. I think there was one in the NY Times almost a year ago. The Brazilian government  have had the time to address these issues, and have chosen not to.
Noodlesza

Gigantic Member

South Africa South Africa

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2016, 08:28:39 PM »

Harry, William and Kates video message to the GB team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU1VZAg0p40

Keen!
JewDan

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2016, 04:02:50 AM »

I don't personally feel good about these Olympic Games. I was watching our local news today and the focus wasn't on Team USA, it was on the American fans that waited 2-4 hours in line to pick up tickets that were purchased months ago and didn't get them.  Some orders were LOST while others are SOL. This is totally absurd!  Ranting
Elissa

Ginormous Member

France France

Opal for October

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2016, 11:48:32 AM »

I just caught up the opening ceremony on replay

A bit underwhelming I must say, and our commentators were annoying , speaking during the music parts and forgetting to say what was happening Snare

but I absolutely loved the olympic flame with the spiralling mirrors  
And the legendary singers and musicians especially Chico Buarque and Gilberto Gil  Jumping

Olivia

Mini Member

Brazil Brazil

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2016, 01:40:09 PM »

A bit underwhelming I must say, and our commentators were annoying , speaking during the music parts and forgetting to say what was happening Snare

And the legendary singers and musicians especially Chico Buarque and Gilberto Gil  Jumping

That was Caetano Veloso  Smiley

Elissa

Ginormous Member

France France

Opal for October

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2016, 02:08:58 PM »

That was Caetano Veloso  Smiley

Sorry for the confusion  Blush thank you!

SavageGrace

Ginormous Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2016, 03:49:16 PM »

And the legendary singers and musicians especially Chico Buarque and Gilberto Gil  Jumping
Me too! So gorgeous

pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2016, 04:36:58 PM »

I loved the music and the colors of the costumes the people on the field were wearing. 

I also loved the chandelier/mirror thingy that reflected the flame.  So beautiful! 

I absolutely HATE the coverage we are stuck with in the US.  NBC is the worst when it comes to the Olympics.  They'll only show American athletes, and they'll cut off anything that doesn't have American athletes in it.  It drives me crazy.  And then, because they're greedy dirtbags, they put up firewalls so that we can't find other coverage to watch.  I can't wait for their contract to expire. 
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2016, 05:14:08 PM »

Albert

Willem-Alexander

Pomme

Big Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2016, 05:32:23 PM »

Star PeDe for proof there were indeed royals at the Opening Ceremony - the director of the show didn't manage to cut to Wax (but it did show our PM, with an unknown lady at his side which I guess/hope was his interpreter) when the Dutch entered the stadium.

I watched the show on my laptop - with very little comment by the Dutch host, so grateful about this. I wasn't blown off my feet, but the show was rather elegant in a positive way, on a human scale, with impressive choreography and lighting effects. Gisele beating the catwalk Olympic record was, well, kinda fun, but it would've been even more powerful if the diversity of (female) Brasilian beauty had been emphasized, e.g. she would have been joined by a throng of poweful women. The Dutch commenter did not gloss over the conquistadores (or whatever the Portuguese conquest is called), nor about the influx of slaves (and why), the influx of Japanese etc. He called it for what it was. Also the global warmng theme - no comments, just the explanation provided by the organising committee - and no ads either. However I did fall asleep eventually and missed the flame.

we're Lucky in Holland because our national broadcaster has one channel on TV dedicated to the OS with very little ads, and 12 or 13 (!!) live streams of all the sports (most without comments though). it's easy to flip between channels and so I watched the last shots in the first final of the day Women's 10 m Air rifle. Won by an American girl btw. It's fun to see a sport that's unknown to me and how the development of it (material, equipment match routine) is at such a high level. The winners got their medals from Bach - nice gesture.

Talk to the hair, you slitherin' Skank
http://i.imgur.com/2mUIe.jpg
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: