Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rio Olympics  (Read 88755 times)
SavageGrace

Ginormous Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2016, 10:27:46 PM »

Blush Connie Curtsey

PruNordstrom

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2016, 11:05:57 PM »

I absolutely HATE the coverage we are stuck with in the US.  NBC is the worst when it comes to the Olympics.  They'll only show American athletes, and they'll cut off anything that doesn't have American athletes in it.

The pity of it is that you have no idea how close or far apart the competition was for a particular sport because of this parochial view of the games. Considering that all of this is delayed broadcast, they could have edited video to show the top competitors of the other countries in the sport as a preface to the actual final competition broadcast. Comparison is not allowed. Bombastic reporting is the norm.

Nothing But Commercials broadcasting corporation (and all its ancillary cable and dish outlets) has made another quadrennial event mostly unwatchable. The smug, arrogant, babbling announcer whose initials are M and L along with the gasbag associates were 3 people/voices too many during the opening ceremony. And this is just the beginning of 2 weeks of gasbag reporting about these games. What I watched of the opening ceremony was done with the sound muted.

Watched some of the 2012 games but I'm done with 2016. Not watching at all. I'll read or watch the reports of the competitions. I'll wait for the videos of the competition to surface on the web and watch there. I'm weary of the narrow focus attitude of the Nothing But Commercials broadcaster of the games in this country.

The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2016, 11:10:48 PM »

I absolutely HATE the coverage we are stuck with in the US.  NBC is the worst when it comes to the Olympics.  They'll only show American athletes, and they'll cut off anything that doesn't have American athletes in it.

The pity of it is that you have no idea how close or far apart the competition was for a particular sport because of this parochial view of the games. Considering that all of this is delayed broadcast, they could have edited video to show the top competitors of the other countries in the sport as a preface to the actual final competition broadcast. Comparison is not allowed. Bombastic reporting is the norm.

Nothing But Commercials broadcasting corporation (and all its ancillary cable and dish outlets) has made another quadrennial event mostly unwatchable. The smug, arrogant, babbling announcer whose initials are M and L along with the gasbag associates were 3 people/voices too many during the opening ceremony. And this is just the beginning of 2 weeks of gasbag reporting about these games. What I watched of the opening ceremony was done with the sound muted.

Watched some of the 2012 games but I'm done with 2016. Not watching at all. I'll read or watch the reports of the competitions. I'll wait for the videos of the competition to surface on the web and watch there. I'm weary of the narrow focus attitude of the Nothing But Commercials broadcaster of the games in this country.

I couldn't agree more.  Star

I used to love to watch the morning shows like Today and Good Morning America.  About ten years ago, they became very transparent in the fact that they used the show itself to market consumer goods and movies to the audience.  I do not need any more commercials in my life and I'm tired of being marketed to.  I stopped watching those shows altogether.  I was so annoyed when NBC used Today reporters for the opening ceremonies.  Awful.  Just awful coverage.  It's not journalism, but rather a big, long commercial.   Thumb down 
luvcharles

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2016, 12:08:50 AM »

Australia's coverage is much the same - showing the Aussies competing and largely ignoring the rest of the world.

Fortunately we can stream them at no cost through Channel 7 - although the free coverage is a bit limited - but the premium costs only $20 Australia and you can get over 3000 hours of games e.g. I am about to watch the Germany vs Argentina hockey game (I love hockey and will now be able to watch all of those games rather than only the Aussies matches).
Kimothy

Mini Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2016, 01:50:31 AM »

PeDe, thank you soooo much for the opening ceremony uniforms (and the commentary!).  My friend sent me a picture of the Tonga hunk and OMG!!  We were drooling like a bunch of teenagers!!    Wink Drool

Like others, I also don't like how NBC has sole rights to airing the Olympics and like PruNordstrom, I too cannot stand that particular anchor (whose initials are M.L.) who I think is an arrogant, smug twit. The last straw (for me) was the way the booted Ann Curry out of the co-anchor chair four years ago (right before London) and ever since then, I've (for the most part) avoided watching the Today show.  The way they treated her was cruel and very high-school- like behavior. Also, I have noticed how some morning shows will.....manipulate a story or someone just to better fit their political agendas.  Sigh.....

I really wanted to enjoy the opening ceremony but OMG!!  Way. Too. Many. Commercials.  Ranting  I LOVED the colors and music and liked how they were honest about their slave trade--no white-washing, just admitting that it happened but not having that part of Brazil's history consume their story.

I don't like how they just focus on American athletes.  I can remember I was watching the 2010 Winter Olympics (Vancouver) and Bob Costas was hosting the prime time Olympics. It was pairs figure skating that night and, for once, they were highlighting another country (China) and I absolutely fell in love with the backstory of Shen Xue and her husband, Zhao Hongbo, and had to Google them and hoped that they'd win gold (they did!).
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2016, 02:43:27 AM »

LOL you are welcome

I agree, he is a sight to be seen, too much baby oil for my taste, but I bet lots of women would like to slide down his chest  

My peeps from the Czech Republic though looked like prisoners let out for a court yard walk  Crap  Cry

The country I liked the most and they represented the country well is Austria....but then, I'm quite a sucker for Lederhosen  Tongue

SavageGrace

Ginormous Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2016, 03:57:33 AM »

I couldn't take the commercials and nonsense anymore so turned off the coverage hours ago... but on FB someone posted the video of gymnast Samir Ait Said of France breaking his leg... OMFG Yikes Poor, poor guy! Cry

Glad I missed it, though - so horrifying!! Secret Do not suggest anyone with a weak stomach to view that footage Secret

PruNordstrom

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2016, 06:12:37 AM »

Neighbor sends me txt: Wanna watch volleyball?
Me: Nah. TV blabs talk too much.
Neighbor: Not local TV.
Me: What?
Neighbor: Volleyball. In or out?
Me: In

So it was that I got to watch women's beach volleyball.
And it wasn't 'that' network.
Her hubs is a SysAnalyst and we watched another country's game feed.
Good games. Now I know how nice the broadcast could be...if I lived elsewhere.
Invited for more games on Sunday. Grin

The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.
mylady

Large Member

France France

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2016, 12:14:54 PM »

When I saw the french  gymnaste breaking his leg, I left my armchair in running,  I almost faint. I am not vrave

I am Happy that Mary left yesterday the olympic games,  she was  everywhere  on the  royal french sites and other forums, a part Mathilde of Belgium and Marie of danemark, there were not other queens and princess who were present to the opening ceremony or at other events around the OG.

We had not a lot of photos of Marie and Mathilde. It is a pity!
Kimothy

Mini Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2016, 12:52:34 PM »

My friend posted a link to it (courtesy of NBC) on Facebook and OMG!! I had to scroll up/down/whatever because that image would've been stuck in my head! Poor guy! That has to hurt!  Crazy Nerves  Sad
Thistle

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2016, 12:56:09 PM »

I saw it live here on tv, I screamed "OMG"! My roommates came running and saw him already on the floor. Poor guy No No

Reading can seriously damage your ignorance
Elissa

Most Exalted Member

France France

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2016, 10:42:45 PM »

This was such an awful accident, poor him!  Nerves

Fortunately he underwent successful surgery today and sent a thanks message

Warning: the fist video in the article is OK, but don't scroll too much further, the second one is the accident Nerves)
http://www.huffingtonpost...76.html?utm_hp_ref=france

SavageGrace

Ginormous Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2016, 10:57:31 PM »

I feel so bad for him - to work so hard and get that far only to then end up being injured No

I read this is the SECOND time this has happened to him, too. A reporter said that two months before the London Olympics he broke his other leg in the exact same way. Crap

PS: He has a girlfriend. *sad sigh* Blush

Noodlesza

Gigantic Member

South Africa South Africa

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2016, 12:18:36 PM »

The sound of his bone snapping. Oh it made my toes curl up and hide in my feet. It was AWFUL! Poor dude!

Keen!
Kaiserin

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2016, 01:24:34 PM »

The sound of his bone snapping. Oh it made my toes curl up and hide in my feet. It was AWFUL! Poor dude!

I heard that once live, when my then boyfriend broke his leg during a football match - the other guy just kicked him [unintended] in the middle of the lower leg with the full force he wanted to hit the ball ... this *crack* was the scariest noise I've ever heard.
Everyone on the field plus the audience heard it. It's really like a tree branch breaking.
It was like slowmotion then.
The whole field became silent (which felt like hours), although it was only a split second until my boyfriend started to scream in pain.
Which was the moment I threw up, because I just could not stand the sight of him lying there with the leg in that impossible angle and his cries of pain.

I am glad that I've not seen this French guy's accident live. This is the second largest bone to break in a humans body - in fact, he broke both, tibia & fibula - the pain must be unthinkable
and I would have thrown up again immediately, being reminded at the a.m. incident.

Then again, what I saw was that Dutch girl having the bike accident, and my first thought was "OMG, she'll be dead, she hit the curbstone with her head first".
Plus that German guy who severed his cruciate ligament and went on to the next discipline nonethless.
So I guess this Olympics had their share of severe accidents already and I really hope that it doesn't go on like this.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: