Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Duke of Westminster has passed away  (Read 13903 times)
Aliza

Mini Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2016, 03:57:30 PM »

Gerald Grosvenor was close to the Spencer family, too.  He was Lady Sarah Spencer's first serious boyfriend and supposedly, she was expecting a marriage proposal.  He broke up with her and I have read some interviews of her where she basically blamed her anorexia on this break-up.  I think he chose wisely, though.  But my heart just breaks for his widow - she is only 57 years old (they married when she was 19).  I hope the new Duke will not settle down too soon so at least his mother doesn't have to move out and can remain the "lady-of-the-house" on the family estates  while  adjusting to what must be a horrid shock.  Prayers and condolences  to  the family.  This will be a sad "Glorious Twelfth" this year for many.

~ Si vis pacem, para bellum ~
Curtains

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2016, 04:13:52 PM »

I met him once in conjunction with my prior employment as a real property consultant.  He was quiet but he had quite a twinkle in his eye, and he caught a mistake that one of his juniors missed yet made it seem all quite natural.  I was impressed.

"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic: but I had a good life, all the way." - Jimmy Buffet, America's premiere poet
MidnightDiamond

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2016, 05:35:08 PM »

Gerald Grosvenor was close to the Spencer family, too.  He was Lady Sarah Spencer's first serious boyfriend and supposedly, she was expecting a marriage proposal.  He broke up with her and I have read some interviews of her where she basically blamed her anorexia on this break-up.  I think he chose wisely, though.  But my heart just breaks for his widow - she is only 57 years old (they married when she was 19).  I hope the new Duke will not settle down too soon so at least his mother doesn't have to move out and can remain the "lady-of-the-house" on the family estates  while  adjusting to what must be a horrid shock.  Prayers and condolences  to  the family.  This will be a sad "Glorious Twelfth" this year for many.

With the size of Eaton Hall, I dont think his mother would have to move. Will and Kate are sad because they might lose freebies.
Suzy

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2016, 08:39:42 PM »

WOW!! Quite a shock. RIP.

ETA: DM is reporting that he had an heart attack.

The C's already issued a statement:

"The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were very sad to learn of the Duke of Westminster?s passing yesterday. Their thoughts are very much with his family this morning."

The Cambs strike me as opportunistic grifters wanting to get in on the ground floor.  They show their care and compassion and extend their friendship when Hugh is vulnerable so as to lock him in and keep the freebies coming.

I guess one part of that couple has many years of personal experience with this procedure and the other one comes from a family who produced someone like Andrew. IMO there's not much chance to avoid turning into the people they seem to be with so many manipulators in freebie lovers and their genes and as role models when they grew up. And that is the result before even adding their awful personalities to the mixture.  Whistle

I hope Hugh is an intelligent young man and sees through all of this. With that kind of money and status to his name he will need the ability to spot a user now more than ever before.

Witchell: Clearly a greater share of royal burden will fall on you and as that happens you will grasp it willingly?
Will: Absolutely willingly. And as that time comes I'll be the first person to put my hand up and take it on. But [] my grandfather is so active [] and unwilling to slow down.
Roll Eyes
QueenEM

Large Member

Argentina Argentina

I'm SWexxy and I know it

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2016, 09:44:16 PM »

He was young to die  No.
I hope his family can cope as best as they can, specially Hugh with so many responsabilities coming at the same time in such an awful time
MidnightDiamond

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2016, 10:12:48 PM »

He was young to die  No.
I hope his family can cope as best as they can, specially Hugh with so many responsabilities coming at the same time in such an awful time

I think the family knew that he had health problems so he probably taught Hugh alot of things, Hugh will do fine he has his mother and Charles is expected to help him from what I heard.
luvcharles

Warned
Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2016, 10:36:47 PM »

As the new Duke if godfather to Prince George I don't think the Cambridge's will have to worry about their relationship to him. They have already given him the honour of being godfather to a future King, just as his mother is the godmother to one - the new Dowager Duchess is William's godmother.

The friendship between the Grovesnor's and Windsor's is long-standing of many generations.
LDJJ

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2016, 10:54:18 PM »

Even at a time like this I side eye the intentions of W&K.  Considering they just came back on a plane borrowed from him and used his cars in France you would think they would have come out of the box and led the consolations and tributes of the BRF by issuing a statement yesterday.  But I forget how incompetent their staff is.  Hopefully they (meaning William) got in touch with the new Duke and his mother and issued personal condolences.

I read that Mr. Grovsvenor was a mentor to William.  Pity none of his compassion seems to have rubbed off on him.

I can't imagine what it's like to be in Hugh's shoes right now.  Losing a parent is bad enough, now having to jump into the running of everything. 
Princess BlueEyes

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2016, 04:41:53 AM »

What sad and shocking news.   Heartfelt condolences extended to the family and friends on the sudden death Gerald Grosvenor; my heart goes out to them all.

The Grosvenor and Windsor families are quite close and intertwined for many years.  I expect to see Charles, William, and Harry attending services for sure. Very possibly Cam and the Queen and wouldn't surprise me to see Phil in attendance as well. 

I think Kate may likely be absent as she often skips things that should attend.

luvcharles

Warned
Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2016, 05:34:02 AM »

As The Queen doesn't attend funerals except of close family - and that doesn't include even first cousins (the late Earl of Harewood comes to mind - died in 2012 and her oldest first cousin) - I would be very surprised if she attended. She was close to the late Dukes of Devonshire and Wellington but didn't attend their funerals.
Ellie

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2016, 06:21:54 AM »

I wonder why - is it to just prevent the security nightmare? She did go to Tamara Grosvenor's wedding where she usually doesn't attend non-family weddings.
Princess BlueEyes

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2016, 06:41:57 AM »

As The Queen doesn't attend funerals except of close family - and that doesn't include even first cousins (the late Earl of Harewood comes to mind - died in 2012 and her oldest first cousin) - I would be very surprised if she attended. She was close to the late Dukes of Devonshire and Wellington but didn't attend their funerals.

Thank you luvcharles for this info - I didn't realize that.  I just thought it was possible she might as the two families seem close.

Celia

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2016, 04:14:54 PM »

There's the funeral, and then there's the memorial later on.  She might go to the latter.
lynda

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2016, 04:37:57 PM »

Does the new Duke have a special lady friend ?
One of the York sisters is now in the market..............looking for a new job, wants to do charity, runs in the same crowd, loves animals............
DebbieB

Humongous Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Debbers and Bruners. (Thanks Pomme)

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2016, 04:38:42 PM »

It's been confirmed that he died of a heart attack. Coroner released the news.

"The great thing about Diana, is she always looked her bestó you never saw her slumped in the backseat of a car with legs akimbo." Tina Brown
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: