Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Duke of Westminster has passed away  (Read 14926 times)
cordtx

Warned
Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2016, 08:55:26 PM »

There are pics of Hugh out partying after his father died if the dates are correct.
But, I do feel sorry him as well.

Where? Do you mean those published by the DM? I think those are from his uni years

Oh, ok good. One post I saw insinuated it was recent and I thought that was either very disrespectful or he didn't like his father very much  Crazy
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 09:11:34 PM by cordtx » Logged
PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2016, 09:09:21 PM »

Was he a close friend of King JC? Just wondering.  Angel

Perhaps.

From VF October 2013
On March 3, Juan Carlos returned to the hospital for back surgery, his fourth operation in less than a year. The previous week [Princess Corinna zu] Sayn-Wittgenstein had given an interview to El Mundo. She told investigative reporter Ana Romero that she had met the King nine years earlier, at a shooting party at the Duke of Westminster?s estate in England, and that they had become ''close friends.''
Ref: www.vanityfair.com/style/2013/10/crisis-spain-royalty-abdication

Notes from article:
Princess Corinna zu Sayn-Wittgenstein [is] a glamorous, 46-year-old, twice-divorced German businesswoman based in Monaco. When she met the King with the Duke of Westminster in 2004, she had recently broken with her second husband, Prince Casimir zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn, whom she had married four years earlier.

2 August 2014
''...Finca La Gargata, a 15,000 hectare estate owned by the Duke of Westminster in the heart of the Parque Natural del Valle de Alcudia y Sierra Madrona.''

''The finca is also popular with other aristocracy, the Kind of Spain, Juan Carlos I also an enthusiastic visitor.''

Ref: spanishnewstoday.com/prince-william-accused-of-lack-of-judgement-over-spanish-hunting-trip_19398-a.html

Both men are on the list of banners of the companions of the order of St George at www.stgeorges-windsor.org
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 09:18:18 PM by PruNordstrom » Logged

Things ain't what they used to be and never were.
Olya

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2016, 09:38:11 PM »

There are pics of Hugh out partying after his father died if the dates are correct.
But, I do feel sorry him as well.

Where? Do you mean those published by the DM? I think those are from his uni years

Oh, ok good. One post I saw insinuated it was recent and I thought that was either very disrespectful or he didn't like his father very much  Crazy

Had it been from this week, then it would not only have been odd, but very disrespectful, even when you don't like the person who passed away, you should behave decently for at least a while. Anyway, the party pics are not new! And they are from several parties. All depends how the wording is, so some can make it seem like it is more recent than it really is.

I really can't tell you how abhorrent I've found the trash reporting about Hugh Grosvenor this week. He has a day job, seems discreet, has never let himself down.

I miss a world in which mourning and bereavement were respected.

So so right. They do everything to avoid the press Decency has long been lost.

Well, yes and no IMO. Becoming the Godfather to Prince George THE Prince George, heir to the heir to the heir of the British throne, future King WILL put you into the spotlight. This was a choice. I don't think Hugh should have said no and refused, but saying yes does put one into the spotlight.

Also, I think that the ACTUAL mourning has been respected  Secret

No shots of mourners. No photos of the coffin. No paparazzi shots in Hugh's face, outside his home, at his place of business etc.

Yes, public discourse has taken place, bringing up disgusting bits, as well as more admirable aspects, of the Duke's behavior.

IMO gossip is just that. He's now one of the richest individuals on the planet, with all the concomitant power. Observing and discussing how they use or misuse that power is both necessary and important.

You own half of Mayfair. Your actions determine people's livelihoods. You're going to be watched and discussed.

That is partly(!) true. By partly I mean the following: I don't think that he could have said "no". Technically, the Winds and the Gros maintain a tight "friendship" for decades now, at least a century. So when the offer or proposal came, he wasn't in a position to really say "no". His mum is Will's godmother for instance. Some families maintain that kind of relationship throughout generations, and in some cultures when you are asked to be godparent you dare not refuse, unless you have very very good reasons to do so. And whilst he caused a stirr in the press at the time ("heir" bla bla), it died down fairly quickly. So I think they were aware of the press they'd get and calculated that in, along with possibly not really being able to say no. For the Cambs it is quite an advantage of having him as godparent, as they will use him as they use everyone around them. Unless he tells them off, G has enough godparents anyway.
Laprincess

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2016, 10:05:51 PM »

Perhaps.

From VF October 2013
On March 3, Juan Carlos returned to the hospital for back surgery, his fourth operation in less than a year. The previous week [Princess Corinna zu] Sayn-Wittgenstein had given an interview to El Mundo. She told investigative reporter Ana Romero that she had met the King nine years earlier, at a shooting party at the Duke of Westminster?s estate in England, and that they had become ''close friends.''

Notes from article:
Princess Corinna zu Sayn-Wittgenstein [is] a glamorous, 46-year-old, twice-divorced German businesswoman based in Monaco. When she met the King with the Duke of Westminster in 2004, she had recently broken with her second husband, Prince Casimir zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn, whom she had married four years earlier.

2 August 2014
''...Finca La Gargata, a 15,000 hectare estate owned by the Duke of Westminster in the heart of the Parque Natural del Valle de Alcudia y Sierra Madrona.''

''The finca is also popular with other aristocracy, the Kind of Spain, Juan Carlos I also an enthusiastic visitor.''

Ref: spanishnewstoday.com/prince-william-accused-of-lack-of-judgement-over-spanish-hunting-trip_19398-a.html

Both men are on the list of banners of the companions of the order of St George at www.stgeorges-windsor.org

Thanks for answering my question.  Star

So he was the one who introduced Corinna to JC. Call me surprised....NOT.  Angel
luvcharles

Warned
Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2016, 10:47:30 PM »

Perhaps.

From VF October 2013

Notes from article:

2 August 2014

Just a note about the banner at St Georges. That will be removed after the funeral. Only living knights have their banners displayed there over their seats where they sit for the Garter Service itself.

His death does open up another vacancy in the order which means I think there are three now. I wonder who the Queen will appoint to fill those vacancies (Harry wouldn't count in those three as royal knights don't count in the 24 actual knights).
Ellie

Warned
Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2016, 11:09:42 PM »

It's sad he was such a troubled man with depression. He always seems so sad deep in his eyes. Despite the major gross scandals I can imagine being an unhappy person with that much cash could lead you to do things like that. Being it was all tabloid fodder who knows how much is true. At least he and his wife seemed to have raised some great people. Hugh being so low-key and having a real job makes him far more promising than the royals IMO. I feel bad the media is trashing Hugh. As if he'd be so thrilled to have gained all that money. I bet he'd take it all back to get his father back. So disrespectful, insinuating he's out partying...
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2016, 11:23:33 PM »

Gerald Grosvenor was close to the Spencer family, too.  He was Lady Sarah Spencer's first serious boyfriend and supposedly, she was expecting a marriage proposal.  He broke up with her and I have read some interviews of her where she basically blamed her anorexia on this break-up.  I think he chose wisely, though.  But my heart just breaks for his widow - she is only 57 years old (they married when she was 19).  I hope the new Duke will not settle down too soon so at least his mother doesn't have to move out and can remain the "lady-of-the-house" on the family estates  while  adjusting to what must be a horrid shock.  Prayers and condolences  to  the family.  This will be a sad "Glorious Twelfth" this year for many.

He just became the most eligible bachelor in England, except for Harry. I imagine there will be many ladies in hot pursuit!

There are a bunch of heirs-to-Dukedoms still single:

Floors Castle (divorced)- Something Innes Ker
Hogwarts / Alnwick- Georgie P
Blenheim- (George?) Blandford
Westminster-Hughie

get goin' gold diggers!
sharpen your shovels!
These Duke-ers ain't goin' to marry themselves!  Rtfm

Star

PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2017, 07:20:15 AM »

The presentation of the (Garter) banner of Gerald Cavendish Grosvenor, 6th Duke of Westminster, KG,CB,CVO,OBE,TD,CD,DL on Sunday 5 March 2017, St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle.

Alastair Bruce‏ @AlastairBruce_  11h
 Honoured to represent @BritishArmy Reserve at LayingUp of GarterBanner for MajGen Duke of Westminster, 'GeneralGerald' to us

Alastair Bruce‏ @AlastairBruce_  9h
Banner hung above his stall (seat) while alive. Removed on death it was carried to altar as dedication of his life

Things ain't what they used to be and never were.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: