Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WAX and Max coming to Perth, Western Australia  (Read 10993 times)
emtishell

Medium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« on: October 14, 2016, 02:18:39 PM »

So was pretty excited to find out today that WAX and Max are coming to my hometown! Will have to work out how I can see them!! (Maybe Mosh told them about the Swan Valley and the chocolate factory  Icecream)

http://www.watoday.com.au...-day-20161013-gs1ujx.html
emtishell

Medium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 10:27:27 AM »

https://au.news.yahoo.com...heir-arrival-in-wa/#page1
Pomme

Big Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 04:18:42 PM »

Ah - she's come prepared, with her own dishcloth.
And I'm happy to see tht Hammie cleared quarantine!

Wonder if/when this visit will be compared to 'other' royals that visit Australia on a regular basis...

Talk to the hair, you slitherin' Skank
http://i.imgur.com/2mUIe.jpg
luvcharles

Warned
Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 09:42:34 PM »

Been watching the morning show here in Australia. They gave about 15 seconds of coverage to the visit (compared to live coverage from Canada of William and Kate with updates from the reporter they sent to Canada to cover the tour - normal for a William and Kate tour).

Other things that were covered - home grown politics, Dreamworld tragedy, US election, Pippa's wedding, Australia being invited to Eurovision again, the possibility of interest rates cuts/rise (that decision is made on the first Tuesday of each month so made today), and then the big news of the day which will get most coverage around the nation - Melbourne Cup (not even a visit by The Queen can get more coverage on Melbourne Cup Day - it is the 'race that stops the nation').
Nuno

Humongous Member

Portugal Portugal

TM The King and Queen of Spain

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 12:19:09 AM »

Isn't this dress a repeat?

Diez Minutos

"You can call me Happiness...yes Queen Happiness. It sounds great!" - Queen Letizia, Red Cross 150th Anniversary Wink

"Hey Cristina, I'm the Queen now :D"
Pomme

Big Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 12:47:28 AM »

Isn't this dress a repeat?

Diez Minutos

It is indeed (and so is the dishcloth btw) - she wore it during a state visit to South Korea. It's by Dutch designer Mattijs van Bergen.
(and I love how the green seems to be neon or blue, depending on the photograph)

PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 01:47:18 AM »

Where are the Australian stepsisters, I was sure Yrma's possy would have shown up right about now to greet their 'friends'  Spiteful

pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 03:21:03 AM »

Been watching the morning show here in Australia. They gave about 15 seconds of coverage to the visit (compared to live coverage from Canada of William and Kate with updates from the reporter they sent to Canada to cover the tour - normal for a William and Kate tour).

Other things that were covered - home grown politics, Dreamworld tragedy, US election, Pippa's wedding, Australia being invited to Eurovision again, the possibility of interest rates cuts/rise (that decision is made on the first Tuesday of each month so made today), and then the big news of the day which will get most coverage around the nation - Melbourne Cup (not even a visit by The Queen can get more coverage on Melbourne Cup Day - it is the 'race that stops the nation').

Utterly ridiculous, IMO.  This isn't some former Aussie coming over to play princess; this is a reigning king and queen who are on a goodwill visit to this nation.  They deserve more than 15 seconds, and Horseface William and his dull wife's visit to another country on the other side of the world certainly didn't need to be covered live Roll Eyes

Max looks fabulous.   Thumb up
luvcharles

Warned
Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 03:26:13 AM »

Normally, other than the BRF or Mary, the other royals don't get coverage. Presidents who would get coverage would by the US and that is about all.

William is the future King of Australia so he will gain a lot of coverage. He and Kate get way more coverage than either the Queen or Charles down here. Many of the kids I teach think William is the heir and Charles is The Queen's husband because he is 'so old'. Mind you, they also see Harry, William and Kate as 'old' as they are over 30. To a teenager 30 is still some mystical age that indicates you are past it.
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 03:33:18 AM »

Normally, other than the BRF or Mary, the other royals don't get coverage. Presidents who would get coverage would by the US and that is about all.

William is the future King of Australia so he will gain a lot of coverage. He and Kate get way more coverage than either the Queen or Charles down here. Many of the kids I teach think William is the heir and Charles is The Queen's husband because he is 'so old'. Mind you, they also see Harry, William and Kate as 'old' as they are over 30. To a teenager 30 is still some mystical age that indicates you are past it.

I still think this is ridiculous.  I can understand not covering royal news in general, but featuring William live in Canada while not actually covering the local visit of a reigning king and queen is stupid IMO.  I'm well-aware that William is the future king of Australia (well, that may not be the case for too many more years, but that has nothing to do with this thread).  Here we have a charismatic young king and queen who are actually in the country, and there's barely a mention of them.   Nono 
luvcharles

Warned
Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 05:33:58 AM »

No one knows who they are here. They aren't British and so don't get a mention at all. Most Australians wouldn't even know that The Netherlands have a King and Queen. They simply don't rate here and the morning shows are about ratings not about who may be visiting - and they are here on Melbourne Cup day so nothing else (other than a major catastrophe) would get coverage anyway. This is a major sporting event here with a public holiday in Melbourne itself and most of the country coming to a standstill for the 3 minutes of the cup.

All the classes at my school, for instance, watched it live (as I have done every year I have been teaching and back even when I was a student we watched or listened to it.

A foreign monarch from a country about whom we teach nothing and have no real connection to simply doesn't rate.

The only thing most people would know about The Netherlands is that Amsterdam allows people to use drugs openly on the streets.

Australians cover two royal families - the British and the Danes since Mary married in. The others simply don't rate a mention. The death of the Thai King barely rated a mention but the impact of his death on the holiday plans of people was mentioned - the fact that a lot of the Thai 'tourist' spots were going to be closed for a month - seen as 'over the top'. Many of our Year 12s were planning to go to Thailand for 'schoolies' - the end of school break but have cancelled and are going to Fiji instead. Otherwise no one cares here.

If it wasn't for forums like this I wouldn't know what other royal families were doing as they don't get coverage.

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 09:18:13 AM »

I personally would expect the Australians to know something, especially history, about the Netherlands.
As parts of Australia were "discovered" by Dutch sailors and or even named for Dutch people. For example the birth place of Mary, Tasmania, which is named for Abel Tasman.

Also a lot of Dutch emigrated to Australia, especially in the years after WW II. Just like Canada, which was very popular.
Pomme

Big Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 09:51:57 AM »

No one knows who they are here. They aren't British and so don't get a mention at all. Most Australians wouldn't even know that The Netherlands have a King and Queen. They simply don't rate here and the morning shows are about ratings not about who may be visiting - and they are here on Melbourne Cup day so nothing else (other than a major catastrophe) would get coverage anyway. This is a major sporting event here with a public holiday in Melbourne itself and most of the country coming to a standstill for the 3 minutes of the cup.

All the classes at my school, for instance, watched it live (as I have done every year I have been teaching and back even when I was a student we watched or listened to it.

A foreign monarch from a country about whom we teach nothing and have no real connection to simply doesn't rate.

The only thing most people would know about The Netherlands is that Amsterdam allows people to use drugs openly on the streets.

Australians cover two royal families - the British and the Danes since Mary married in. The others simply don't rate a mention. The death of the Thai King barely rated a mention but the impact of his death on the holiday plans of people was mentioned - the fact that a lot of the Thai 'tourist' spots were going to be closed for a month - seen as 'over the top'. Many of our Year 12s were planning to go to Thailand for 'schoolies' - the end of school break but have cancelled and are going to Fiji instead. Otherwise no one cares here.

If it wasn't for forums like this I wouldn't know what other royal families were doing as they don't get coverage.

Which is not even true.
It is illegal to carry hard drugs and soft drugs, let alone use them on the streets (whether in Amsterdam or elsewhere in the country).
If you get caught however, and you are only in posession of a (defined) small amount, you will not be prosecuted (you may get a fine though). That's what it is.

As for using cannabis products: the sale of small amounts of cannabis products in so-called coffeeshops is allowed, but heavily regulated and monitored by the authorities.

The stuff should be used/smoked inside, or on the premises of the coffee shop, or at home, or if you are Lucky in a corner of a park, but it is utter bull that you can even walk around with a burning joint in your hand. You'll be run over by a bicycle within seconds.

Amsterdam as a city (there are actually people living there, also in the city centre, I did for 23 years) is experiencing trouble with the large influx of tourists, and with drugs runners (often from other countries) that sell drugs of very poor quality (often pills) on the streets. There's a big task force of policemen catching these criminals because they pose a threat to the health of the idiots that buy from them, and they're doing something illegal.

Anyway, perhaps we should be grateful that Fiji is so much closer to Australia than The Netherlands ;-)

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 10:24:51 AM »

Which is not even true.
It is illegal to carry hard drugs and soft drugs, let alone use them on the streets (whether in Amsterdam or elsewhere in the country).
If you get caught however, and you are only in posession of a (defined) small amount, you will not be prosecuted (you may get a fine though). That's what it is.

As for using cannabis products: the sale of small amounts of cannabis products in so-called coffeeshops is allowed, but heavily regulated and monitored by the authorities.

The stuff should be used/smoked inside, or on the premises of the coffee shop, or at home, or if you are Lucky in a corner of a park, but it is utter bull that you can even walk around with a burning joint in your hand. You'll be run over by a bicycle within seconds.

Amsterdam as a city (there are actually people living there, also in the city centre, I did for 23 years) is experiencing trouble with the large influx of tourists, and with drugs runners (often from other countries) that sell drugs of very poor quality (often pills) on the streets. There's a big task force of policemen catching these criminals because they pose a threat to the health of the idiots that buy from them, and they're doing something illegal.

Anyway, perhaps we should be grateful that Fiji is so much closer to Australia than The Netherlands ;-)

Recently I had to explain the Dutch "Gedoogbeleid" to non-Dutch, which was really not easy   Tongue
I have lived in the south of the Netherlands, and over there they also have a large influx of non-Dutch buying (soft)drugs. Not always possible as some maintain a so called weed pass (wiet pas). And lots of troubles with drugs runners going across the border, often creating hazardous and dangerous situations.
luvcharles

Warned
Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2016, 11:03:23 AM »

I personally would expect the Australians to know something, especially history, about the Netherlands.
As parts of Australia were "discovered" by Dutch sailors and or even named for Dutch people. For example the birth place of Mary, Tasmania, which is named for Abel Tasman.

Also a lot of Dutch emigrated to Australia, especially in the years after WW II. Just like Canada, which was very popular.

We don't teach that aspect of Australian history anymore in High School and what is taught in primary school is largely forgotten within a year or so of studying.

The High School course we study requires no study of anything of Europe until the start of WWI.

Year 7 - What is History; ONE of Ancient Egypt, Greece or Rome (most popular by a long way is Ancient Egypt) and then ONE of Ancient China or India.

Year 8 - Links from Ancient to Medieval World; ONE of Medieval Europe, Vikings, Ottoman Empire; Renaissance Italy (most popular is Vikings with Ottoman gaining in popularity) ONE of Black Death; Spanish Conquest of the Americas; ONE of Angkor Wat; Tokugawa Japan; Polynesian Expansion across the Pacific and ONE of Mongol Expansion; Black Death; Spanish Expansion into the Americas; Colonisation and Contact in Australia - the most popular which looks heavily at the negative impact of European colonisation on Australia's indigenous population - it isn't designed to say that the Europeans did anything of any nature that is positive

Year 9 - Links for Medieval to Early Modern World; ONE of Industrial Revolution; Movement of People - slaves, convicts and free settlers; or Development of a Range of Historical Concepts (the most popular option); ONE of Making a Nation or Australia's relations with Asia - the more popular of those options and the mandatory study of World War One (emphasis on the Gallipoli Campaign - about 30 minutes to an hour maximum spent of the rest of the war and a lot of emphasis on the Australian Home Front)

Year 10 - If World War Two wasn't done in Year 9 it is to be done in Year 10 (when my school does it) with the emphasis Kokoda - hardly any mention of the war in Europe as the emphasis on the war against Japan and what was happening on the Australian Home Front); Changing Rights and Freedoms - emphasis on the fight for equal rights of the Indigenous Population here and some mention of similar fights elsewhere; the final unit is a choice of a number of units relating to Australia or the Holocaust - which a lot of schools do although the most popular is Australia in the Vietnam War Era as it was in the old syllabus so many schools kept teaching it.

As you can see there is very little if any European History in the compulsory high school History course. My school does quite a lot compared to many other schools but even so it is no more than 1/3 each year. With the course is only 50 hours per year we are talking about around 15 hours a year maximum on anything European.

When I was first teaching High School history in the early 90s we did a bit more with options like Queen Victoria and the Abdication Crisis being on the course for the final two years but British History is now not taught at all. The rest of Europe gets even less of a mention other than Nazi Germany and Stalin's Russia.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: