Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WAX and Max coming to Perth, Western Australia  (Read 10281 times)
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2016, 12:17:38 PM »

It also seems too much to me if you would have to study (a lot) of European history. It is not your continent, and only parts have had an influence on Australia in the past. But I would have thought that European history linked to the Australian one would have been taught at school.
Hester
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2016, 12:33:53 PM »

Great coverage in The Australian - referred to the crowds yelling out "We Love Max"!
luvcharles

Warned
Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2016, 12:37:24 PM »

The way the syllabus is written is largely 'Europe = bad'. They did nothing good as they killed so many Indigenous Australians or were responsible for the slave trade or killed the native Americans or killed Africans - where ever the Europeans went the killed the local people so Europeans are bad.

When you look closely at the syllabus there is very little Australian History either.

Year 7 - pre-1788 Indigenous culture is part of the What is History unit.
Year 8 - one option relates to Australia - largely the impact of colonisation on the Indigenous population - which is not compulsory
Year 9 - the compulsory unit is Australia in WWI - other units relate either to rise of the new nation - assuming a lot of knowledge which from experience the students don't have or how we get along with Asia
Year 10 - Australia in WWII and how we have changed the Rights and Freedoms of Indigenous Australians.

Not even the Europeans in Australia is taught in High School anymore - other than how badly they treated Indigenous Australians and how brilliant we were as soldiers in WWI and WWII.

Once upon a time we taught the pre-settlement explorers - including Janzen, Hartog, Tasman before moving to the Brits - Dampier and Cook and then onto the arrival of the British, the troubles over contact, the achievements of the Europeans as they explored and opened up the country to European ways and then the wars, between the wars and the post WWII period but now Australian History, European History and American History don't rate. We would have even encouraged the students to trace the King and Queen's visit and talk about why they are here and make the links but now we don't have the time or the syllabus to do so.

I preferred the old syllabus from the mid-90s when we were able to teach the 'full-history' good and bad of the nation's past - as much as you can in 100 hours in Years 9 and 10 (that works out to less than 2 hours a week over those two years).

Back to this visit that isn't getting much coverage in our press etc anyway.

Do they still publish The Australian? I haven't seen a copy of that for a good 20 years - and then we had to ask the Newsagent to order it specially. That newsagent went out of business about 10 years ago due to the internet as people weren't buying print papers anymore but online only.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2016, 02:25:20 PM »

http://www.abc.net.au/new...early-two-decades/7980566

http://www.perthnow.com.a...27793551c915088fcc8b0f8c4

http://www.theaustralian....b9999df3d3bd0002774b1fbc1
http://www.theaustralian....404dfcaba765917f2f34a79ea
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2016, 02:32:18 PM »

http://www.aviationwa.org...0-ph-kbx-28-october-2016/
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2016, 02:33:22 PM »

https://au.news.yahoo.com...-royal-visit-to-wa/#page1
Missynat

Mini Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2016, 04:23:08 PM »

Day 2 of their visit.  They were at the Ascot Racecourse on Melbourne Cup Day.  Max looks great!

Rita

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2016, 04:33:44 PM »

that's lovely outfit foe the day

PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2016, 05:08:31 PM »

did anybody kiss Yrma's hand in OZ?  Spiteful

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2016, 07:07:45 PM »

The dress and hat are a repeat:

Visit to Maastricht because of 200 years Kingdom Netherlands (2014)

Kingsday 2014 Amstelveen, Netherlands
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2016, 10:31:01 PM »

Great coverage in The Australian - referred to the crowds yelling out "We Love Max"!

So, what you're saying is that despite the long lecture on Australian history curriculum, people DO actually know who these two are.  

Give me the Dutch King and Queen over those boring and (despite what is claimed here) unimportant Brits any day.  I'm glad they're being received warmly. Thumb up

« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 11:07:26 PM by pixiecat » Logged
Nuno

Humongous Member

Portugal Portugal

TM The King and Queen of Spain

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2016, 11:49:05 PM »

I don't know how she's able to walk in those heels...the ones she wore with beige/green dress in some of the pics I don't know how she didn't lose a shoe like cinderella 

"You can call me Happiness...yes Queen Happiness. It sounds great!" - Queen Letizia, Red Cross 150th Anniversary Wink

"Hey Cristina, I'm the Queen now :D"
luvcharles

Warned
Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2016, 01:19:05 AM »

So, what you're saying is that despite the long lecture on Australian history curriculum, people DO actually know who these two are.  

Give me the Dutch King and Queen over those boring and (despite what is claimed here) unimportant Brits any day.  I'm glad they're being received warmly. Thumb up

Some people obviously know who they are. There are a lot of school kids there - probably bussed in and having had a few lessons on who they are the lead up to the excursion. If I was taking kids to see someone then I would do that and the crowds are largely kids - that I have seen - and it is a school day in WA.

Having some people know who they are doesn't mean that the majority do.

Sorry you didn't appreciate the outline of the Aussie curriculum but I was trying to show why many Aussies wouldn't have any interest or knowledge about The Netherlands - either as a country or its monarchy.
periwinkle

Large Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2016, 02:16:36 AM »

Maxima is just a delight to me. She seems like a lot of fun and very naturally warm and regal a good combo for a queen. Wouldn't it be fun to have a glass of wine with her or be in book club together? She and Letizia are the classiest but in very different ways. Hard not to respect them.
rosella

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2016, 03:12:05 AM »

Maxima is just a delight to me. She seems like a lot of fun and very naturally warm and regal a good combo for a queen. Wouldn't it be fun to have a glass of wine with her or be in book club together? She and Letizia are the classiest but in very different ways. Hard not to respect them.

I agree very much with this. Maxie is one of my favourite royals. She's so enthusiastic, seems such fun, flyaway hair, sometimes bizarre clothing, and all! She has a brain to and uses it! I really admire her! And I'm an Aussie. Wish she and WA had come to the Melbourne Cup!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: