Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Crown - Netflix  (Read 42767 times)
nationalanthem

Medium Member

United States United States

Ignore
« on: November 04, 2016, 11:04:18 PM »

Have any of you started watching yet?! Opinions?! I plan on dedicating some time to binge watching it this weekend. I've been waiting months for this show to debut!
Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

proud moron thx Scooby Doo

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 11:16:30 PM »

I watched the first two episodes already. It's pretty good though I don't know how accurate it is. The acting is superb.

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
Jonathan

Gigantic Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Life's hard being fabulous

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 11:50:27 PM »

It hasn't been on here yet

Advice to my Brother on his wedding day

Never say

I know you do
I've had better
Did you say something
luvcharles

Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 12:01:48 AM »

I watched the first three episodes last night and will watch the rest tonight.

Ignoring the known historical inaccuracies I am enjoying it. The look on 'Philip's face' when he knows that she is now the Queen is so realistic - I have read that his equerry, said he looked like he looked more devastated than the Queen did and Matt Smith seemed to portray exactly that.

The one thing that has annoyed me is the ages of Charles and Anne. When the King died Anne was about 16 months old but even before that they had here the size of a three year old at least and Charles is looking like a five or so year old rather than three and a half at the end of the third episode.

I also am finding Charles calling Philip 'Daddy' annoying when we know he calls his father Papa.
SavageGrace

Ginormous Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 12:46:40 AM »

Totally forgot about it but will check it out this weekend. Been waiting for ages - thanks for the reminder! Champagne

Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 12:52:08 AM »

The one thing that annoys me is the presence of the Duke of Windsor. AS IF he went to the funeral! AS IF Elizabeth would ask him advice!

SavageGrace

Ginormous Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 01:03:54 AM »

He did actually attend George VI's funeral. Smiley

Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 01:06:52 AM »

Really? Gosh, I was under the impression he didn't go back to the UK for much longer! I feel stupid.  Grin

SavageGrace

Ginormous Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 01:10:43 AM »

Yes, I know - I sometimes forget that he attended; it's really surprising considering how much the Queen Mum loathed him. LOL Today my brain decided it would recall that tidbit. LOL He also, IIRC, returned 10+ years later to attend the funerals of his sister and one other royal... who's name is escaping me... then he came back as a corpse Tongue

pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 01:17:47 AM »

I'm watching it now.  It's not bad.  I don't find this family at all interesting in real life, but I don't usually mind dramas based on their history.  If anything, it's beautiful to see due to the costumes and set decor. 
Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2016, 01:20:35 AM »

Oh, I was thinking how offended he was that he wasn't at the Coronation, not the funeral.

nationalanthem

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2016, 02:56:08 AM »

I didn't know that the duke of windsor went back so rarely. I know they moved to France, was it? Interesting tidbit there.

But if Queen Mary's curtesy at the end of episode two is any indication of how the rest of this series will be then I'm absolutely excited.
Ktc

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2016, 04:24:07 AM »

I watched the first couple today. I enjoyed it. The story is interesting. And whoever said the acting and costumes are superb, I agree.
rosella
Banned
Banned
Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2016, 05:20:53 AM »

I tried watching but I couldn't stand it. I know it's not a documentary but it's littered with basic errors. For instance, the doctor coming in to tell King George VI the truth about his health (in reality it wasn't spelled out to him and at the time of his death he thought he was getting better) just came into the room and sat in front of the King at his desk without being asked to sit. Even today that would just be a 'No,No'. In 2016 visiting PMs from the Commonwealth sometimes chat standing to Elizabeth until the Queen indicates a chair.

Plus, the voices aren't right. The Queen especially had a distinctive voice as a young woman, high pitched and very upper-class, naturally! Not only the female lead but others had difficulty maintaining the accent of the time, it seemed to be worse among the younger female actors. It's not entirely their fault, those cut glass tones just haven't been taught at drama schools for about fifty years. You hear struggles with it in other period dramas and Agatha Christie dramas as well.

Also, couldn't they have got a less robust looking man to play King George VI? The King was notably frail by the late 1940's. He was looking as if 'he walked with death' as Churchill later said. Several of the actors didn't look right. Margaret was beautiful as a teen, with lovely eyes. The actress who played her was drab. The actress who was Clemmie Churchill had a short curly modern haircut. What was going on there? Didn't anyone on production ever take a look at docos of the time showing Mrs Churchill with a rolled up bun style at the back?

There was so much of this I just can't detail it all. It just jarred on me. I won't be watching any more.
wisdomheaven

Humongous Member

Probably don't know what timezone I am in.

Ignore
!
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2016, 05:55:25 AM »

I am loving it! Great acting all around but especially from John Lithgow, Claire Foy and Matt Smith.

I love history, but I rarely go into films looking for accuracy. I am just taking this as a pure historical drama. On that front, its a success for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: