Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Crown - Netflix  (Read 61364 times)
Oh_Caroline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: November 16, 2020, 12:31:55 AM »

I'm not enjoying it terribly much like I did the first two seasons. I think the more modern we get, the less interest I have!

Probably.  I fine that I have far less patience for taking creative license.  Now that weíre in the Diana years Iím very nervous about what theyíre going to adjust to suit their narrative.
Lady Willoughby

Warned
Humongous Member

United States United States

Circa Regna Tonat

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: November 16, 2020, 12:50:37 AM »

Just finished the whole thing. It was a gigantic improvement on season 3. I still miss my Claire, but Olivia didnít bother me as much. The cast has a better chemistry this time around. Much better writing and directing this season. It seemed so much fresher.

Emma Corrin is the best screen portrayal of Diana, bar none.

As far as artistic license, nothing seemed as jarring as it did in season 3. Obviously they always go off the mark for entertainment sake, but this season was done so well IMO that I was able to enjoy it for the entertainment it was without needing to pick it apart sort of like Season 1.

They definitely have me back on the hook, it was questionable after last years flop.

Oh_Caroline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: November 16, 2020, 01:13:04 AM »

Good to hear.  After season 3 I wasnít sure Iíd even bother continuing with it.  Iím half way through episode 2 and itís not too bad.
Margaret

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: November 16, 2020, 02:06:01 AM »

What I want to know is ... why is there a mouse running across the palace floor in the beginning of episode 3? At first I thought it would be significant for the storyline in this episode, but no. I just seems very odd with that mouse Thinking

I was delighted to see that mouse. Grin   It was a highlight of the season so far for me.  Grin  I immediately thought of two things:  the cute mouse in the Poirot episode 'Hickory, Dickory, Dock', and the possibility the mouse was a symbol of the underlying decay of the royal properties which have gilt decoration on the top but rotting pipes and timbers underneath riddled with vermin.

With a more wide awake and active brain this morning I am wondering whether the mouse might symbolise more.  Perhaps it suggests the whole system of the monarchy is a pretty construct balanced precariously on a rotting and unstable foundation.  Maybe it is a Cinderella reference.  Maybe a reference to the actual words of 'Hickory, Dickory, Dock' and Diana is the mouse.  Or maybe someone just thought it would be a good idea to put a mouse in that scene.  Perhaps a bit of all the above.  Whatever the reason, that mouse might be my favourite bit of the season, because I am not finding the season to be particularly enjoyable.   
Aubiette

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: November 16, 2020, 07:30:45 AM »

Iím on episode 3 and I love Emma as Diana. Iíve just read they will be changing to another actress for season 5. That is what I hate about this series.
GoodGollyMissMolly

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: November 16, 2020, 08:38:16 AM »

Whew. They are really going there with this Charles/Diana/Camilla storyline.
hrhpita

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: November 16, 2020, 12:48:12 PM »

Whew. They are really going there with this Charles/Diana/Camilla storyline.

I know! And, I feel awful for watching it. We know what happens(ed), but to actually see it play out, it's cringe worthy - IMHO.

Eliza B

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: November 16, 2020, 01:01:22 PM »

Good to hear.  After season 3 I wasnít sure Iíd even bother continuing with it.  Iím half way through episode 2 and itís not too bad.

I got through the 3rd episode in season 3 and stopped.  It was so bad. Is it worth finishing? Could I go strait to season 4? Or is still not up to season 1/2s level?
Oh_Caroline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: November 16, 2020, 01:17:52 PM »

Good to hear.  After season 3 I wasnít sure Iíd even bother continuing with it.  Iím half way through episode 2 and itís not too bad.

I got through the 3rd episode in season 3 and stopped.  It was so bad. Is it worth finishing? Could I go strait to season 4? Or is still not up to season 1/2s level?

Spoiler warning!!!!!

Season 4 is really rather good.  Though I do fine it to be uncomfortable.  The Diana era was such a painful time and to see it all unfold knowing the outcome is rather hard.  Obviously you can cover the Queenís reign without the 80s and 90s but I do feel like season 4 is less about the Queen and more about Charles/Diana/Camilla.  Yes theyíre covering Thatcher and Fagan but thereís still a whole episode dedicated to the Queen realizing sheís a crappy mother (and then sheís still a right royal b to Diana).  Iíve seen the first 6 and plan on finishing but to be honest between season 3 being crap and season 4 being ďlook at how horrible they all areĒ Iím getting rather pissed.  Other than money itís looking more and more like the creators did this show in order to bash the BRF.  Yes they f-d up but it is cruel to keeping pointing out living peopleís decades of mistakes to a global audience. 

And whatís with Peter Morgan and stags?
Lady Willoughby

Warned
Humongous Member

Circa Regna Tonat

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: November 16, 2020, 03:40:24 PM »

The whole mťnage a trois story line isnít nearly as cringy as every other of the 50,000 Diana documentaries and biographies that have been put into the ether since 1992. Some of them have been far bigger hatchet jobs, IMO. The place they REALLY went is the physical scenes of Dianaís bulimia.

And frankly if we have to endure the sick making Lifetime Movie Network propaganda movies every time one of them becomes engaged, they are also going to have to endure cinematic offerings like this.

Thistle

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: November 16, 2020, 05:11:09 PM »

I really liked S4. Emma Corrin is an awesome Diana, and Gillian should get all the awards for her role as Tatcher. Olivia improved her game and is much better this season imo.

The whole Charles/Diana mess was incredible sad to watch. I know it is not a popular opinion, but I do believe Charles and Diana could have been an amazing team, they complemented each other and could be this super royal couple. But they were so wrong for each other, personally wise. The scene with Charles and QEII right before the wedding, really broke my heart. Margareth was so right!

Iím on episode 3 and I love Emma as Diana. Iíve just read they will be changing to another actress for season 5. That is what I hate about this series.

All actors with change in S5, including Diana. She will be played by Elizabeth Debicki in the final seasons.

Reading can seriously damage your ignorance
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: November 16, 2020, 09:39:39 PM »

Will Season 5 or 6 start with a little white-ant scurrying around?
Lille

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: November 16, 2020, 09:52:36 PM »

I actually like season 4 the least. The whole Charles/Diana story is so threshed by now and it's painful to watch. I can appriciate the acting of course. I was also surprised by the many iconic Diana moments that were left out: The strapless black dress, dancing with John T., the birth of the boys and the wedding kiss. I was surprised they made a replica of the wedding dress only to show it from behind for five seconds more or less. It also bugged me that we see how much C and D hate each other, but then all of a sudden she is pregnant with Harry. Diana actually said that during her pregnancy with Harry, Charles and her were very close. The impression you get from season 4 is that they were only close for two days in Australia.
ralf103

Gigantic Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: November 16, 2020, 10:18:26 PM »

Its well done technically - great acting in many places, lavish backdrops and staging, sometimes quiet poetic language....shame in this its especially noticeable that they take Diana's side so much. I wonder if thats on purpose, through editing or done because net season will focus more on Diana's side of it - which seems to follow more how the stories came out to the public - for a long time Charles was the one who had an affair and Diana could do no wrong - maybe when we hit the 90s and the Panorama interview, the Andrew Morton book, the phone calls to Oliver Hoare will all come out. If they don't then its clear the Crown is selling its own agenda rather than any even vague attempt to be anywhere near historically accurate. Charles' links with Camilla were much more prominent in Season 4 than the fleeting mentions and brief appearance of James Hewitt.

I've never picked sides in the whole War of the Wales' saga, I think from what I can see they were as bad as each other- I just hope that is shown clearly rather than glossing over it and going down the "Di did no wrong" route.
Ellie

Muted
Ginormous Member

proud moron thx Scooby Doo

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: November 16, 2020, 10:45:14 PM »

The creator has been open about how much he hates the BRF so I wouldn't be surprised if it's basically the Saint Diana story re-hashed for a new generation.

Watching the episode of the Queen with each of the children it's a bit sad they seem to just show Diana and Charles utterly despising one another when they seemed to do okay in the beginning, or try to.

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: