Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Crown - Netflix  (Read 59988 times)
smf3000

Warned
Medium Member

Botswana Botswana

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2016, 05:38:35 AM »

Am only on episode 3. but am definitely enjoying it. Champagne

A few of the inaccuracies grate -I think Wallis was in France when D of Windsor made his 'woman I love' radio broadcast. And while the Queen visited Malta often, not sure she lived there full time  Thinking

Production is doing a great job of truly humanzing them. Makes me wonder what the story will be re: Will and Kate. They rarely admit to any problems or faults or issues at all. Short of the 2007 break up, and some dubious HG claims, according to the press, everything has been smooth sailing  Whistle

... nursing a hugely indecent crush on actor who plays Philip.    Hot tamale!  Yikes
Millefleurs

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2016, 06:44:26 AM »

I binged the whole thing over two days and ate most of it up with a spoon. But the parts with the Duke of Windsor are laughable. First, Queen Mary never received Wallis, so having her standing there when QM begged David to reconsider is rather much. He was such a pathetic person in thrall to her and I doubt she actually loved him. Just reading a month or two of their correspondence leaves no doubt he was not as forceful as he was portrayed. I know her wrote scathing letters abt the family to her, but I don't think he was stupid enough to use those epithets with others.

I agree he was never consulted by the family. And the notion that Churchill would meet privately with him after the headaches he caused during the war is just incredible.

The other odd thing was how little was seen of the Duchess of York, the true iron fist in the velvet glove. I didn't even realize that was her because the casting was so poor.

But the rest was just delicious. I had no idea about the Great Smog. I love to learn new things like that. I think the last time I've felt that way was watching Foyle's War.

Well done!
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2016, 09:50:42 AM »

I didn't know that the duke of windsor went back so rarely. I know they moved to France, was it? Interesting tidbit there.

But if Queen Mary's curtesy at the end of episode two is any indication of how the rest of this series will be then I'm absolutely excited.

Yeah they moved to France - and M16 or similar broke into their little palace a few years later and got the royal family's jewels back that they had taken!
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2016, 01:14:19 PM »

A few of the inaccuracies grate -I think Wallis was in France when D of Windsor made his 'woman I love' radio broadcast. And while the Queen visited Malta often, not sure she lived there full time  Thinking

Production is doing a great job of truly humanzing them. Makes me wonder what the story will be re: Will and Kate. They rarely admit to any problems or faults or issues at all. Short of the 2007 break up, and some dubious HG claims, according to the press, everything has been smooth sailing  Whistle

... nursing a hugely indecent crush on actor who plays Philip.    Hot tamale!  Yikes

Matt Smith is a fantastic actor Smiley
Herazeus
Banned
Banned
Medium Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2016, 01:17:56 PM »

Oh my goodness Matt Smith!!!!

Never understood it before, but from the moment he swaggers into view as Philip, i was lost. I don't even care for the inaccuracies, i love Matt as Philip.

Proper actor crush Blush Confused Blush Tongue
Malenkaya

Micro Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2016, 02:25:59 AM »

I just started watching it last night. My first thought was "Jeremy Northam? Was it written in the contracts of all the actors from The Tudors that any TV show based on royalty had to involve one of them?"

I'm more into suspending belief than anything else, so the inaccuracies don't bother me. It's the only way I can survive watching Reign with my friends. John Lithgow as Winston Churchill is hard though! I came of age when John Lithgow was playing Dick on 3rd Rock From the Sun so I have to push that to the back of my mind.
Margaret

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2016, 04:36:00 AM »

I just started watching it last night. My first thought was "Jeremy Northam? Was it written in the contracts of all the actors from The Tudors that any TV show based on royalty had to involve one of them?"

I'm more into suspending belief than anything else, so the inaccuracies don't bother me. It's the only way I can survive watching Reign with my friends. John Lithgow as Winston Churchill is hard though!  I came of age when John Lithgow was playing Dick on 3rd Rock From the Sun so I have to push that to the back of my mind.

Laugh bounce  I know what you mean, but I got used to him playing the Trinity Killer in Dexter, so I went through my disbelief suspension issues then, and I can accept him as another character now. Though I am surprised he's popping up in British shows.

They did round up all the usual suspects for the cast, didn't they. :D
emtishell

Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2016, 03:55:20 PM »

Just started watching, I am loving it so far (of course!)

Is it just me, or does anyone else think the actress playing Princess Margaret looks very like what Princess Charlotte might grow up to look like?

Also, have loved Matt Smith for a long time (my son and I met him when he came to Perth for a Dr Who convention - such a lovely guy!) I think he's great as Philip
Ktc

Mini Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2016, 10:30:04 PM »

Just started watching, I am loving it so far (of course!)

Is it just me, or does anyone else think the actress playing Princess Margaret looks very like what Princess Charlotte might grow up to look like?

Also, have loved Matt Smith for a long time (my son and I met him when he came to Perth for a Dr Who convention - such a lovely guy!) I think he's great as Philip

I totally agree about the Margaret/Charlotte thing!
LDJJ

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2016, 12:22:00 AM »

I watched the first two episodes on Sunday and am waiting for my weekend to watch the rest.  I want to be completely focused.  I love a good history drama.  I will say when George passed, I was incredibly sad.  One because he was so very young and because HM and Philip had to leave their little life behind.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2017, 06:00:05 PM »

Started to binge, but sadly life always interferes..
Claire Foy is very good, but for some reason I have always pictured the Queen as a rather lively young woman. The portrait is so very somber, one gets the feeling that Elizabeth had no reason to laugh or be happy. i doubt it had been that tough.
Matt Smith: very good, but sadly not as good looking as the original (funny, since usually it is vv) it somewhat irks me. And tbh, I hope the relationship between QEII and DoE was more loving and close - shortly after the coronation I felt myself rooting for Philip to leave QEII.
Margreth, hhm, she appears to old and too grown up.
Townsend: I think the real Peter was indeed in love and not quite so scheming. I honestly think, that had M been allowed to marry him, her life would have not gone off  the rails.
Winston: superb, I actually believe it is him
George: fantastic
QEQM: very good, (though I believe QEQM would have loved to be quite so slim..)
Lascelles, Queen Mary and the wonderful Harriet Walter all are excellent.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
jolene

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2018, 04:59:22 AM »

Heard that Paul Bettany was slated to play PP but (I guess) negotiations fell south. He'd make a great PP for this next era.

Anyone watch "The Windsors"? Hilarious.
A Citizen not a Subject

Warned
Big Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2018, 11:39:41 AM »

Heard that Paul Bettany was slated to play PP but (I guess) negotiations fell south. He'd make a great PP for this next era.

Anyone watch "The Windsors"? Hilarious.
I adore "The Windsors", it's hilarious. Looking forward to the special they're doing for the wedding.

I live in hope that one day I will be able to elect my Head of State.
jolene

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2018, 07:40:31 PM »

Tobias Menzies will play Prince Philip! Yay!!!  Jumping Laugh bounce Supercontent
http://deadline.com/2018/...smith-netflix-1202354968/
wisdomheaven

Humongous Member

Probably don't know what timezone I am in.

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2018, 08:28:32 PM »

Tobias Menzies will play Prince Philip! Yay!!!  Jumping Laugh bounce Supercontent
http://deadline.com/2018/...smith-netflix-1202354968/

I love Tobias! Although this is a hard role for me to see him in, I think he will do well.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: