Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: House of Isenburg  (Read 2128 times)
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« on: January 10, 2017, 07:19:27 PM »

Isenburg was a region of Germany located in southern present-day Hesse, located in territories north and south of Frankfurt. The states of Isenburg emerged from the Niederlahngau (located in the Rhineland-Palatinate), which partitioned in 1137 into Isenburg-Isenburg and Isenburg-Limburg-Covern. These countships were partitioned between themselves many times over the next 700 years.

The House of Isenburg was an old aristocratic family of medieval Germany, named after the castle of Isenburg in Rhineland-Palatinate.

Occasionally referred to as the House of Rommersdorf before the 12th century, the house originated in the Hessian comitatus of the Niederlahngau in the 10th century.

It partitioned into the lines of Isenburg-Isenburg and Isenburg-Limburg-Covern in 1137, before partitioning again into smaller units, but by 1500 only the lines of Isenburg-Buedingen (in Upper Isenburg) and Lower Isenburg remained.

In 1664 the Lower Isenburg branch died out.

The Buedingen line continued to partition, and by the beginning of the 19th century the lines of Isenburg-B?dingen, Isenburg-Birstein, Isenburg-Meerholz and Isenburg-W?chtersbach existed. Today still exist the (catholic) princes of Isenburg (at Birstein), the (Lutheran) princes of Ysenburg (at B?dingen and Ronneburg) and the (Lutheran) counts of Ysenburg-Philippseich.

It was not until 1806 that there was a state called simply "Isenburg". When the Holy Roman Empire was defeated by Napoleon I of France in that year, the empire was abolished and the Confederation of the Rhine was established amongst the various German states.

As an incentive to join the Confederation, it was stated that any state which joined could mediatise their neighbours. Prince Charles of Isenburg-Birstein joined the Confederation and was granted the mediatized Isenburgian Countships of Isenburg-B?dingen, Isenburg-Meerholz, Isenburg-Philippseich, and Isenburg-W?chtersbach. His Principality was renamed to Isenburg.

The Principality continued under the rule of Prince Charles through the Napoleonic era, but was mediatised by the Congress of Vienna for being too keen an ally of Napoleon. The lands of the principality were divided between the Grand Duchy of Hesse-Darmstadt and the Electorate of Hesse-Kassel (or Hesse-Cassel).

Princes of Isenburg - Mediatized (1815)

Charles, 1st Prince 1803-1820 (1766-1820)
  ^ Wolfgang Ernst, 2nd Prince 1820-1866 (1798-1866)
  ^ Prince Victor (1802-1843)
      ^ Karl, 3rd Prince 1866-1899 (1838-1899)
          ^ Prince Leopold (1866-1933) -renounced his rights in 1898
          ^ Franz Joseph, 4th Prince 1899-1939 (1869-1939)
              ^ Franz Ferdinand, 5th Prince 1939-1956 (1901-1956)
                  ^ Franz Alexander, 6th Prince 1956?present (b.1943)
                      ^ Alexander, Hereditary Prince of Isenburg (b.1969)
                      ^ Princess Sophie (b.1978) + Georg Friedrich, Prince of Prussia
                      ^ Prince Viktor (b.1979)

PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 08:13:20 PM »

And why am I writing this, because...Sophie's brother had his second daughter:

Hereditary Princess Sarah von Isenburg gave birth to her second child, a daughter, on January 5 in Munich, the Princely House has announced yesterday.

?With great joy and gratitude, the Princely House of Isenburg announces the birth of the second child of TH The Hereditary Prince and Princess,? the statement read. The infant, who joins big sister Princess Alix Imagina (born in November 2015), has been named Zita.

The statement also says mother and baby are doing well, and are expected to be released from hospital and back at Schloss Birstein later this week.

these nobles are seriously idiotic. BTW, the couples first daughter's name in full is: Alix Imagina Blanca Irmingard Maria
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 08:20:46 PM by PeDe » Logged

jigmesjigga

Medium Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 03:43:30 PM »

Isn't Sophie expecting another child too? Aren't they up to 5 now? They certainly know how to keep a line going. I wonder how small their partitions were: were they each the size of an average American subdivision?
Elissa

Ginormous Member

France France

Emerald for May

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 03:54:39 PM »

Sophie and GF have four children for now: twins Carl Friedrich and Louis Ferdinand born in 2013, daughter Emma Marie born in 2015 and little Heinrich born last November.
Kaiserin

Big Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 05:04:20 PM »

I wonder how small their partitions were: were they each the size of an average American subdivision?

At the height of their territorial expansion, during Napoleonic era, the Principality is said to have had around 3,520 square kilometers [~ 1,400 square miles],
but divided into several, not neccesarily connected areas.
That is, as a whole, similar to the size of Long Island or the Spanish Island of Mallorca.
melusina

Baby Member

Luxembourg Luxembourg

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 04:22:43 PM »

SpiegelTV is wading into Bunte territory. They showed a documentary called "suddenly princess", featuring 2 commoners who married into german nobility, one of them is Sarah Lorenz, married to Alexander von Isenburg.

http://www.spiegel.de/spt...nzessinnen-a-1133710.html
Pomme

Big Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 06:32:49 PM »

Managed to watch the documentary while preparing dinner.

Quite interesting.
While Elna Bentheim cannot avoid being portrayed like a shallow, silly, fashionista with not too much business sense, Sarah Isenburg is a cosmetic surgeon (like her mother), earning good money botoxing people and doing her share of good works by volunteering as a reconstructive surgeon in ao India to help victims of dowry-related burnings/acid attacks. Her hubby Alexander was quite fortunate to not be hindered by silly house laws concerning a morganatic marriage, because Sarah seems to be an intelligent, loving, independent woman with a big sense of duty. Never mind they chose weird names for their daughters.

OK now someone pass the vinegar (wine will do) to get rid of that eeky sugary taste in my mouth.

Talk to the hair, you slitherin' Skank
http://i.imgur.com/2mUIe.jpg
Kaiserin

Big Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 07:16:09 PM »

I thought the same, Pomme.

What a difference between Sarah Isenburg, accomplished woman, intelligent, sense of duty, respect for the tradition, leading a quiet life in the province,
and that Bentheim chick, fashionista, weird makeup, shown at the hairdressers drinking champagne 9 am in the morning, and at fashion week, and saying how she prefers to be called "princess of bentheim" although that is not her correct title, who is all over the tabloids, complete with facebook page and whatnot.

They are like German light versions of Max and Snakey.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 08:03:47 PM »

Managed to watch the documentary while preparing dinner.

Quite interesting.
While Elna Bentheim cannot avoid being portrayed like a shallow, silly, fashionista with not too much business sense, Sarah Isenburg is a cosmetic surgeon (like her mother), earning good money botoxing people and doing her share of good works by volunteering as a reconstructive surgeon in ao India to help victims of dowry-related burnings/acid attacks. Her hubby Alexander was quite fortunate to not be hindered by silly house laws concerning a morganatic marriage, because Sarah seems to be an intelligent, loving, independent woman with a big sense of duty. Never mind they chose weird names for their daughters.

OK now someone pass the vinegar (wine will do) to get rid of that eeky sugary taste in my mouth.

Well to be fair those are very royal names!
Alix: most likely in honor of Alix of Hesse (as Isenburg is located in Hessen and Alix had been a princess of Hessen before her marriage to the russian Csar)
Zita: Last empress of Austria

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Pomme

Big Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 11:52:39 PM »

Oh I know Alix and Zita are right up there in the royal stratosphere with Elisabeth and Victoria namewise, and that both were 'last' empresses with eventful and tragic lives.

It's the medieval Imagina and Irmingard that get me, and Zita's mouthful:  Zita Maria Immaculata Elisabeth Irina.
I guess they are all foremothers, and pretty names as such. Just a lot of them, and unusual ones. And they certainly out-devoted the Korns (who came up with Magdalena Maria Alexandra Zita Charlotte for their second daughter)

Anyway, who am I to judge - my nieces and their mother all have names that are unique in our country (though not that weird, just 'different', and French) and even Lil'P has a name that only 3 others in our country have (my sister, my mother, and a distant cousin).

(Tidbit: Princess Aim?e, wife of Floris van Vollenhoven (princess Margriet's youngest son) will be godmother to little Zita. Prince Alexander is godfather to Floris&Aim?e's son Willem Jan)

Talk to the hair, you slitherin' Skank
http://i.imgur.com/2mUIe.jpg
Royalfan 72

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 08:08:04 PM »

Watched the documentary also. I agree with you completly Kaiserin and Pomme.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: