Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tessy and Louis are divorcing: official announcement  (Read 30254 times)
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 07:45:04 PM »

what will happen with her title, any guesses?

Did H?l?ne Vestur keep her title after her divorce from Prince Jean (Louis's uncle) ? The situation was exactly the same for them : first baby born out of wedlock, wedding, other children, and then divorce.

I don't think Helene was ever given a title.  When I've seen her name on guest lists and in the media, it's never with a title, so my guess is that she never had one to begin with.  

What a shame that they're splitting up.  I thought they were a sweet couple, and they always seemed so close and happy.  I'm also shocked that a family that seems to relish its image as a good Catholic family would ever allow for a divorce.  I know that Jean and Helene split up, but H & MT seem so religious (and the school Alex went to in the US is very, very traditionalist) and it's hard to imagine their kids doing something that the church doesn't allow.  

It will be interesting to see how the titles work out and if any future wife of Louis (should he marry again) is given a title.

Would Louis be allowed to remarry at all? Confused
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 07:46:06 PM »

Did H?l?ne Vestur keep her title after her divorce from Prince Jean (Louis's uncle) ? The situation was exactly the same for them : first baby born out of wedlock, wedding, other children, and then divorce.

I don't think Helene was ever given a title.  When I've seen her name on guest lists and in the media, it's never with a title, so my guess is that she never had one to begin with.  

What a shame that they're splitting up.  I thought they were a sweet couple, and they always seemed so close and happy.  I'm also shocked that a family that seems to relish its image as a good Catholic family would ever allow for a divorce.  I know that Jean and Helene split up, but H & MT seem so religious (and the school Alex went to in the US is very, very traditionalist) and it's hard to imagine their kids doing something that the church doesn't allow.  

It will be interesting to see how the titles work out and if any future wife of Louis (should he marry again) is given a title.

I don't know.  If they're going by traditional Catholic rules and if the marriage isn't annulled, then no.  Not if he wishes to remain in good standing with the church. 
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 07:56:42 PM »

I don't know.  If they're going by traditional Catholic rules and if the marriage isn't annulled, then no.  Not if he wishes to remain in good standing with the church. 

Considering how religious they seem, things must be really bad since L&T are divorcing. Anyhow, that's my first reaction but I don't know much about how Catholics feel about divorce in general..
tigerben
Board Helper
Humongous Member

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 07:57:07 PM »

I am very sad to confirm that Louis and I are getting divorced after 12 years together. 
'Despite our separation, we will always remain unified by parenthood to our two precious boys.
'It is extremely sad for both of us to realise that we will walk separate life paths from now on.
'In these challenging times, I ask for privacy for both of us and especially the privacy of our children to be respected. No further comment will be given at this stage.'

Tessy released her own statement.
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 08:02:27 PM »

Considering how religious they seem, things must be really bad since L&T are divorcing. Anyhow, that's my first reaction but I don't know much about how Catholics feel about divorce in general..

That's what I think too; especially since they tried so hard to make it work at such young ages.  They both seemed like fairly mature people who really wanted to be good parents and to create a stable family. 

I can't speak for Catholics everywhere, but the devout Catholics I know are very much anti-divorce.  This family seems very devout and very much in touch with the church and it's laws.  Although, Linus and Guillaume are probably using some form of birth control, and Tessy and Louis must have also since they never had more children after the first two.  Super devout Catholics most likely wouldn't have done that. 

I'm sure Louis' uncle Carl-Christian and his cousin Imre are not happy about this news. 
onar

Medium Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2017, 08:03:25 PM »

They seemed so sweet and supportive with each other. It's sad that the things went so wrong that led them to divorce. I still can't believe it.

On the other hand, they were 19 years old when they met. People grow and change. Especially in our twenties, we change radically and this doesn't mean that we will still be compatible with our partner as the time passes and we become more mature, more self-aware.

Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2017, 08:10:29 PM »

I can't speak for Catholics everywhere, but the devout Catholics I know are very much anti-divorce.  This family seems very devout and very much in touch with the church and it's laws.  Although, Linus and Guillaume are probably using some form of birth control, and Tessy and Louis must have also since they never had more children after the first two.  Super devout Catholics most likely wouldn't have done that. 

I'm sure Louis' uncle Carl-Christian and his cousin Imre are not happy about this news. 

Considering that some also feel Guillaume and Stephanie can't get fertility treatment if they're having problems, I would think this is a HUGE deal too, no matter how friendly the two seem now Thinking
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2017, 08:24:07 PM »

Considering that some also feel Guillaume and Stephanie can't get fertility treatment if they're having problems, I would think this is a HUGE deal too, no matter how friendly the two seem now Thinking

Absolutely.  It will be interesting to see what happens here. 
onar

Medium Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2017, 08:28:34 PM »

What about children's custody? They will remain with Luis or Tessy is allowed to take them with her?
Don't they live in London?

pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2017, 08:53:56 PM »

What about children's custody? They will remain with Luis or Tessy is allowed to take them with her?
Don't they live in London?

Since these kids aren't in line for the throne, I doubt there's a rule about them not being able to live with the mother. 

My guess is that they probably will share custody and will stay where they are.  Usually, parents want to minimize disruptions to the lives of kids during a divorce.  Making them change schools at this age might not be easy on them emotionally.  I think Louis is in school in London working on a degree.  Tessy has a job in London.  My guess is that they'll remain there for now.
onar

Medium Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, 09:03:28 PM »

Of course the less changes, the better for the boys!

PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 09:53:39 PM »

I don't know.  If they're going by traditional Catholic rules and if the marriage isn't annulled, then no.  Not if he wishes to remain in good standing with the church.  

That's what I think too; especially since they tried so hard to make it work at such young ages.  They both seemed like fairly mature people who really wanted to be good parents and to create a stable family.  

I can't speak for Catholics everywhere, but the devout Catholics I know are very much anti-divorce.  This family seems very devout and very much in touch with the church and it's laws.  Although, Linus and Guillaume are probably using some form of birth control, and Tessy and Louis must have also since they never had more children after the first two.  Super devout Catholics most likely wouldn't have done that.  

unless the Catholic church grants an annulment, they both cannot re-marry by Catholic canon law:

An annulment is commonly and incorrectly called a "Catholic divorce". The differences between divorce and annulment can be confusing to Catholics and non-Catholics alike - especially when remarriage is a possibility. Divorce and annulment aren?t the same thing; they differ in two ways:

First, divorce is a civil law decree from the state, whereas an annulment is a canon law decree from the Church. In other words:

The state issues a marriage license; and the state issues a divorce decree.

The Church celebrates the Sacrament of Matrimony; and only the Church can issue a Decree of Nullity (otherwise known as an annulment). The Church does not believe in divorce.

The second is the existence of the marriage after a divorce or annulment:

A civil divorce basically says that what was once a marriage is no longer a marriage. The marriage took place but ended. A previously married couple no longer has the legal obligations of husband and wife.

An annulment, on the other hand, basically says that the Sacrament of Matrimony never took place to begin with.

Civil divorce ends a civil marriage; a Church annulment declares that the Sacrament of Matrimony didn't occur from day one.

Keep in mind that Church annulments are not a form of divorce and have no affect whatsoever on the legitimacy of children, because that's a purely legal (civil) matter. Annulments don't make the children born of that union illegitimate. Annulments declare that a marriage was never a valid sacrament in the first place even if both parties entered into it with good faith and intentions.

REASONS FOR ANNULMENT
The main reason for getting an annulment is that the sacrament of marriage wasn't valid. In other words, if one or both spouses didn?t intend to enter a permanent, faithful, and fruitful (if God wills it) union, then that deficiency renders the marriage invalid.

Even though a couple gets married in a Catholic church by a priest or deacon and has every intention of entering into a valid sacrament, other factors can greatly obstruct the validity anyway, even unknowingly and unintentionally. Who is at fault, if anyone, isn't the issue. The matter at hand is whether a supposed valid marriage is in fact invalid for some serious reason. If a major impediment was present at the time of the wedding, then the sacrament of marriage is invalid, and the man and woman are free to marry someone else validly for the first time.

Aside from a bride or groom intentionally not wanting to enter a permanent, faithful, and fruitful union, another impediment would be if either person was incapable of assuming the duties and obligations of Christian marriage due to a severe addiction to drugs or alcohol or some serious psychological disorder, which was present but unknown to anyone at the time of the wedding.

Some other reasons for annulment of a marriage include mental incapacity, bigamy, incest, force or grave fear, and refusal or inability to consummate the marriage.

CAN YOU REMARRY?
If a person was married validly and then divorced but never obtained an annulment, then that person is still married in the eyes of the Church. He or she cannot validly marry again in the Catholic Church.

Remarriage isn't out of the question for Catholics:

Like the Sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation, and Holy Orders, the Sacrament of Matrimony can take place only once, unless one spouse dies. Due to the lifelong commitment that's required for the Sacrament of Matrimony, Catholics can marry only someone who's widowed or who wasn?t married before.

If a person was previously married and the spouse is alive, it must be demonstrated that the marriage was invalid, so the previous union can be declared null and void through an annulment. If that happens, both parties are free to marry someone else - the Church hopes validly this time.

Miss Marple

Humongous Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 10:02:52 PM »

I am not too surprised, she hinted a lot recently (and not so recently).

In short: Separation in the Catholic Church (also the traditional parts of it) is not the big issue. The church regards marriage as a sacrament which can't be undone (like if you are a priest - once you are a priest, you will always be a priest, even if you wish to renounce - the sacrament can't usually be undone). So in the church's eye they will stay married forever (unless there is a reason from the Church laws to annull the marriage). Then they are both free to re-marry.

As this has been done for Caroline while a lof of common people could not get an annulment I think they will have a problem there. Pope John Paul had a very soft spot for the Grimaldis - and I think Stefanon's heart-breaking death softened some people (the marriage was only annuled after Stefano's death).

pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 10:13:43 PM »

I am not too surprised, she hinted a lot recently (and not so recently).

In short: Separation in the Catholic Church (also the traditional parts of it) is not the big issue. The church regards marriage as a sacrament which can't be undone (like if you are a priest - once you are a priest, you will always be a priest, even if you wish to renounce - the sacrament can't usually be undone). So in the church's eye they will stay married forever (unless there is a reason from the Church laws to annull the marriage). Then they are both free to re-marry.

As this has been done for Caroline while a lof of common people could not get an annulment I think they will have a problem there. Pope John Paul had a very soft spot for the Grimaldis - and I think Stefanon's heart-breaking death softened some people (the marriage was only annuled after Stefano's death).

They are free to remarry, but they can't receive communion if the marriage isn't annulled, and they cannot marry other people and have a Catholic wedding ceremony if the first marriage wasn't annulled.  I'd be very shocked if the church didn't grant an annulment to these two, however.  Money and connections go a very long way in getting past barriers that trip up the common folk and the poor folk. 
Miss Marple

Humongous Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 10:19:14 PM »

They can only marry civilly, which is not regarded as a sacrament by the church. In this case they are living in the state of grave sin and therefore they are excluded (like anyone else in this state) from receiving communion. For a believing Catholic it is a very unfortunate situation.

I feel for MT and Henri. They kind of saw it coming, they never really expected them to marry, then for a while it looked like despite all doubts, things would work out and now they did not - seeing their child and Tessy now in this situation (and the children of course.)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: