Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Restaurants  (Read 2154 times)
lothwen

Warned
Medium Member

United States United States

Ignore
« on: February 14, 2017, 09:41:20 PM »

If Dishers were to come to your hometown,  where would you take them out to eat?

For me, it would be Armando's Gallery House. They have a different menu every week,  and they do special shows for the holidays

http://reallyredding.com/...gallery-house-in-redding/

Trier1

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 10:15:52 PM »

Oh that's not easy  Thinking. Weinhaus would be one of the choices, lovely wine from the region  Champagne and a small but nice food menue. Wladerdorffs on a summer evening but only the terrace, the view of the cathedral is fantastic. And probably Tokyo for a nice running sushi. If I would win the lottery or you are rich and promise to pay, Becker's (2 Michelin stars, never been there because it is too expensive). Or we could drive to Lux and have a coffee next to the palais and wait for the GD family to come out of the palais 
Princess MS

Warned
Micro Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 11:43:34 PM »

Any of the seafood restaurants around Sydney Harbour - somewhere like Watson's Bay that has fantastic views of the City skyline - Harbour Bridge, Opera House etc.
lellobeetle

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 01:48:57 AM »

In my hometown of Houston, Texas the restaurant scene is fantastic as people eat out well above the national average per week. I'd go with the oldest Tex-Mex restaurant in town...

Molina's

Meanwhile, in Pittsburgh, where I live now, it would be Gaucho Parrilla Argentina

fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 01:39:45 PM »

Great now I am hungry and not even on the same continent.... Sad

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
lellobeetle

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 02:59:40 PM »

Hug

pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 12:50:47 AM »

If we all went to my hometown (I'm not living there at this exact moment, but I'll be back there soon), I'd take you all out to get Armenian food.  My hometown has one of the largest populations of Armenian immigrants in the United States, and their cuisine is to die for.  There are many Armenian restaurants in my hometown, and I've yet to find one that isn't good.

For those who aren't familiar with it, Armenian food is very similar to Turkish, Lebanese, Greek, or Israeli food.  My absolute favorite thing is a type of pizza called Lahmahjun.  It's a flat bread with ground lamb, mint, garlic, tomatoes and peppers on top. I crave it often, and I don't even usually like lamb.  Unfortunately, I am currently in a place where the average person has never even heard of Armenia, let alone Armenian food, so I have to make my own lahmahjuns when I want them. 

All hail the future King Nobstante!!
Knight Grand Cross in the Order of the Whorish Spanx
https://31.media.tumblr.c...ine_mzekcuA9Ln1snsa9a.jpg
Princess MS

Warned
Micro Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 01:54:39 AM »

In my hometown of Houston, Texas the restaurant scene is fantastic as people eat out well above the national average per week. I'd go with the oldest Tex-Mex restaurant in town...

Molina's

Meanwhile, in Pittsburgh, where I live now, it would be Gaucho Parrilla Argentina

Great photos - I discovered Tex mex around 1990 while living in NYC and ate it every opportunity I got.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 11:41:41 AM »

I adore Lahmacuns!!! And our turkish restaurants here (esp. the street vendors) make excellent ones. You can even buy them in the stores frozen and make your own toppings (which then do not have to include lamb or mutton). Fab.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Kaiserin

Big Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 07:29:16 PM »

Me too. Always take them instead of pita bread when eating doener kebab. Delicious.

So I come up with the favorite restaurant in my hometown, which is Frankfurt/Germany (although I was not born there, and although I moved to the suburbs 1 1/2 years ago, I will always consider it my hometown, as I have spent over 35 years of my life there).

It's called "Seven Swans", it started out as a private club, it seats only about 25 to 30 people (in two storeys, so it's very private indeed), it offers magnificent views over the River Main, it has excellent food on Michelin star level (without actually having a star), the menu comes with a specially chosen glass of wine for each course (and these wines have always been extraordinary finds so far!), and the service is just great. This all without being stiff or formal, as high end restaurants often tend to be.

On top, they cultivate their own vegetables, try to offer seasonal and regional food as much as possible. And as they only serve the one menu at a time, all is very fresh, and they have minimal waste.

http://www.sevenswans.de/

Kaiserin

Big Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 08:23:20 PM »

And if you want a place in Frankfurt where really only the locals go to, and where you get nothing but Frankfurt specialities, like Rippchen, Kraut, Handkaes, and this all with the famous homemade APPLE WINE, then your place to be is in Heddernheim, at "Momberger".

Situated in the North of Frankfurt, in a house that is almost 500 years old, the history of the restaurant dates back around 150 years, always run by the same family.
Most dishes are meat, and lots of. You'll sit among the local senior citizens, who come there every they to have their "Schoppe".
Don't come before 7 pm, because you'll have no seat. For less than 15 EUR, you'll have a main course with drink.
No tourists ever been there. Do not expect an English language menu.

http://www.momberger-frankfurt.de

This is how it looks nowadays:

This is how the very same bar looked like 35 or 40 years ago (or even longer, as it's a black and white pic, it might be from the 60ies)

I guess these two pics illustrate well what "tradition" means to them and that "the times they AREN'T a-changin' " there.
Kaiserin

Big Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 08:32:05 PM »

And while I am at it, I can just as well post my all-time favourites all over the world.
All of these are restaurants where I had so excellent food (in various price categories) that I still remember them very fondly and recommend to friends as often as I can.

Argentina
in Ushuaia: Volver. Best Centolla in town. Absolutely strange place (furniture from the flea market, decoration overflow). But the people there: so nice & welcoming. https://m.facebook.com/pa...to-Volver/146777635403730

South Africa
in Wilderness: Serendipity. Best value for money I had in my live. Stunning place. Extraordinary food & presentation. Magnificent wine choices.  Owners incredibly welcoming. http://www.serendipitywilderness.com/

in Stellenbosch: Rust en Vrede. Actually a Wine estate with restaurant. Try out the tasting menu. Great. On the higher price end (for South Africa).
http://rustenvrede.com/

... to be continued, if there is interest to get more.

Any dishers here who come from these cities above? Or have been there?

fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 11:00:55 PM »

Love Rust en Verde. It has been almost a life time ago when I was there, but it was fantastic. But so were most of the other smaller wineries. What a wonderful country south Africa is btw... (my hubby proposed in a small restaurant in the middle of Mosquito-headquarters)

Frankfurt, eh? Do they still serve the ?ppelwoi in Ripplers? I go to Fra occasionally (visits to the embassy, yawn and airport home, yeah) so is Heddernheim close? We went to the Goethe-Museum last time and it was a tad disappointing. Confused

Mary's life motto:
Kaiserin

Big Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 11:28:40 PM »

Love Rust en Verde. It has been almost a life time ago when I was there, but it was fantastic. But so were most of the other smaller wineries. What a wonderful country south Africa is btw... (my hubby proposed in a small restaurant in the middle of Mosquito-headquarters)

Frankfurt, eh? Do they still serve the ?ppelwoi in Ripplers? I go to Fra occasionally (visits to the embassy, yawn and airport home, yeah) so is Heddernheim close? We went to the Goethe-Museum last time and it was a tad disappointing. Confused
Yes, they do. The glasses are actually called "Gerippte", but I knew exactly what you meant.

Everything in Frankfurt is close ...
Airport > Heddernheim = 20 mins car ride.
City Center > Heddernheim = 10 mins car ride if the flashlights along Eschersheimer Landstra?e are mostly green.

Although I call it my hometown, I was never inside Goethe House. We really have much more interesting museums than this ;-).
I'd rather recommend Senckenberg Natural History museum, St?del or the Movie museum. Or if you like a real strange experience, try the Dialog museum. The idea of the "Parcours in the Dark" is to simulate blindness, so there is actually nothing "to see", but it's all pitch black and the experience is to use your other senses to "get it". You are guided through six rooms by (really) blind guides. The whole museum is basically a social project to raise awareness for the blind (and offers, along that purpose, jobs for blind and visually impaired people).
__

South Africa was one of the greatest holidays I ever had. It's such a beautiful country with so much to offer ... Safari, Desert, Landscapes, Big Five, beautiful beaches, warm & friendly people, vast history, nice & breathtaking views, very good and tasty food, wonderful wine ... and THE PENGUINS in Boulders -
and especially the Winelands make a European feel very "home".
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 10:37:50 AM »

Thanks for the tip on the Dialog museum. I will most certainly try that. The Senckenberg is the Natural history one isn't it? I think I went there on a school trip about Quitsch years ago. Every (EVERY!!) single explanation to the exhibits was in german and we wrote a test afterwards on what we saw and understood. Sadistic teacher.
Back then it was one of the typical Nat.His.Mus.: wooden display cases overstuffed with slightly dusty artifacts, of which only 5% held any explanations. Memory lane.....

Mary's life motto:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: