Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Restaurants  (Read 2887 times)
Kaiserin

Big Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2017, 12:56:54 PM »

I can imagine that visit, fairy, that is what also ALL kids in Frankfurt are through during their school time. But since back then, the museum has gone through a major overhaul, and 2017 marks the 200th anniversary of the museum trust. They have also built an additional hall with changing subjects to "biodiversity". And it is still the landing museum in Europe with regards to dinosaurs and early mankind exhibits.

But as the topic is "recommendable Restaurants in your hometown",  here is one last recommendation for Frankfurt.
It's a small Japanese restaurant in a small lane in the city center. From outside, it looks absolutely nondescript.
The ambience is ... well ... very railway station waiting hall. There is no "sushi circle", nor any hipsters & bankers. Some waiters barely speak English or German. Whenever I was there, 80% of the other guests were Japanese. And with a reason. It may be one of the most unpretentious restaurants in Frankfurt, but they have definitely the best Japanese food and freshest sushi you can get here.

https://m.facebook.com/pa...s/Mikuni/134999736548524/

ortensia

Huge Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 01:17:12 PM »

I like all restaurants as long as they dont use square dishes.🙈
cowgrrl

Large Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 02:05:14 AM »

Its not terribly close to me (this is TX after all) but its one of those places you just have to visit. 

http://bigtexan.com/

Great steaks and so kitchy.

For Tex-Mex, Joe T Garcias in Dallas. 
royalsareajoke

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 10:12:08 PM »

Soup and Such

I will always stand for our National Anthem, and I will always serve Under God.
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 02:54:27 AM »

And if you want a place in Frankfurt where really only the locals go to, and where you get nothing but Frankfurt specialities, like Rippchen, Kraut, Handkaes, and this all with the famous homemade APPLE WINE, then your place to be is in Heddernheim, at "Momberger".

Situated in the North of Frankfurt, in a house that is almost 500 years old, the history of the restaurant dates back around 150 years, always run by the same family.
Most dishes are meat, and lots of. You'll sit among the local senior citizens, who come there every they to have their "Schoppe".
Don't come before 7 pm, because you'll have no seat. For less than 15 EUR, you'll have a main course with drink.
No tourists ever been there. Do not expect an English language menu.

http://www.momberger-frankfurt.de

This is how it looks nowadays:

This is how the very same bar looked like 35 or 40 years ago (or even longer, as it's a black and white pic, it might be from the 60ies)

I guess these two pics illustrate well what "tradition" means to them and that "the times they AREN'T a-changin' " there.

This place looks fantastic!  I've never been to Frankfurt, or even to Germany, but it is a place I've got on my list of places I hope to see before I die. 

And this restaurant is now on the top of my Germany list.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 11:33:51 AM »

Lol, if places like this are to your liking, you most certainly need to come to Germany. Though many of them are really terrible in terms of food and service, there are simply countless that look like this and have looked like this for the past 150 years.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Kaiserin

Big Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2017, 11:48:55 PM »

fairy is right, basically each town in Germany has a "pub" next door that looks like this.
Even a city like Frankfurt does not have only this, but maybe 30+ others which are quite like this place, owned by the same family since generations (and having also the same menu since generations ...).
We still have a lot of houses which are 350+ years old, and a lot of them house restaurants. Even nicer if such a place is in a small town and has a courtyard with old trees to sit outside in summer, like "Zur Sonne" in Frankfurt Bornheim (which is about 10 mins from city center).

This is the house from outside:

Inside similar Momberger, just a bit bigger:

This is their garden:

Restaurant existing since 1768.
http://www.zursonne-frankfurt.de/
TexasBear

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2017, 01:10:43 AM »

Great photos - I discovered Tex mex around 1990 while living in NYC and ate it every opportunity I got.

Tex-Mex in New York City? You're breaking my heart! In Texas we have a saying about not eating Mexican food north of the Red River (part of the state's northern border).

My hometown of Houston is a vibrant, diverse, amazing city. I love El Tiempo for fajitas and margartias. This pic shows shrimp, but the beef tenderloin is amazing. I just wanted to show part of the set up that is brought to the table.

Niko Niko's for gyros and dolmathes.

There's a sizable Vietnamese population here and they have taken a Cajun (Southern Louisiana cuisine) staple of boiled crawfish and really spiced it up, even spicier than our Louisianan neighbors. LA Crawfish is supposed to be the best.

Speaking of Cajun food....I love Pappadeaux. The "Pappas" chain of restaurants is headquartered in Houston and includes Tex-mex (Pappasitos), Cajun (Pappadeaux), seafood (Pappa's Seafood), burgers, BBQ, steakhouse, and Greek (don't remember the name, never eaten there).

A casual Italian favorite is Dolce Vita for a wood-fired pizza (my favorite is the pear, arugala, taleggio and truffle oil) and glass of white wine.

My husband loves pho. Loooooves it. His Vietnamese coworkers take him to the family-run, cash-only, "don't you dare ask if we take credit cards," places in southwest Houston. I prefer a good banh mi.

We like to eat. A lot. And drink, too.  Beer

Houston's a great city to visit: not so much for tourists (although we do have a fantastic museum district, arts, zoo, and NASA!), but if you find yourself here for business (oil & gas and health care, mostly) you won't run out of good food or friendly faces.  Champagne
cordtx

Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2017, 08:07:12 AM »

My sister just moved from Dallas to New York and says there is no good Mexican food anywhere there.
I even have to mail her chips and salsa from El Fenix once a month. She says there is no such thing as good tortilla chips there.
TexasBear

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2017, 09:15:28 AM »

My sister just moved from Dallas to New York and says there is no good Mexican food anywhere there.
I even have to mail her chips and salsa from El Fenix once a month. She says there is no such thing as good tortilla chips there.

Geez. Does she have a blender and an oven? It's not hard to make your own salsa and tortilla chips.
Purple

Large Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2017, 11:26:43 PM »

This could turn out to be my favourite thread  Drool
cowgrrl

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2017, 04:31:32 AM »

To pull out my best Southern, bless her heart, that has to be horrible. 

We're visiting an exchange student we hosted awhile back this summer & I asked if we could visit a Mexican restaurant in their city.  She said 'We've never been to a Mexican restaurant'.  I'm sorry, but WHAT?!?!  How does that happen?  Too long without tacos & quesadillas & I get a bit twitchy. 
Princess MS

Warned
Micro Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2017, 04:52:08 AM »

Great photos - I discovered Tex mex around 1990 while living in NYC and ate it every opportunity I got.

Tex-Mex in New York City? You're breaking my heart! In Texas we have a saying about not eating Mexican food north of the Red River (part of the state's northern border).

My hometown of Houston is a vibrant, diverse, amazing city. I love El Tiempo for fajitas and margartias. This pic shows shrimp, but the beef tenderloin is amazing. I just wanted to show part of the set up that is brought to the table.

Niko Niko's for gyros and dolmathes.

There's a sizable Vietnamese population here and they have taken a Cajun (Southern Louisiana cuisine) staple of boiled crawfish and really spiced it up, even spicier than our Louisianan neighbors. LA Crawfish is supposed to be the best.

Speaking of Cajun food....I love Pappadeaux. The "Pappas" chain of restaurants is headquartered in Houston and includes Tex-mex (Pappasitos), Cajun (Pappadeaux), seafood (Pappa's Seafood), burgers, BBQ, steakhouse, and Greek (don't remember the name, never eaten there).

A casual Italian favorite is Dolce Vita for a wood-fired pizza (my favorite is the pear, arugala, taleggio and truffle oil) and glass of white wine.

My husband loves pho. Loooooves it. His Vietnamese coworkers take him to the family-run, cash-only, "don't you dare ask if we take credit cards," places in southwest Houston. I prefer a good banh mi.

We like to eat. A lot. And drink, too.  Beer

Houston's a great city to visit: not so much for tourists (although we do have a fantastic museum district, arts, zoo, and NASA!), but if you find yourself here for business (oil & gas and health care, mostly) you won't run out of good food or friendly faces.  Champagne

All that food looks great ! I'm sure Mexican is done better in the South ! It was not a big thing in Australia back in the day when I lived in NYC for a year - so I didn't have much to compare it with ! But I found this restaurant in Greenwich Village  . . .  it would be long gone now - it was nearly 30 years ago !
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: