Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470] 471 472 ... 496   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kate - news and photos III  (Read 1663346 times)
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Small Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #7035 on: April 25, 2021, 12:20:47 AM »

As we are approaching their 10 year anniversary, it has been fun to start seeing the picture retrospectives of their first 10 years of marriage.  But I am already tired of the phrase "never put a foot wrong."   I'm not about to rehash all of her failings her first few years...this isn't that kind of post.  I do, however, think it is beyond disingenuous to act like she did everything perfectly from the word "go."  And honestly, I think it would be more of a compliment to her to acknowledge that she had a few stumbles out of the starting gate BUT she listened and learned and worked and changed and has DEVELOPED into the asset she is now.  Does this make sense?  We don't need this sanitized myth that everyone in the royal family is the best and kindest and gentlest and wisest, etc. person ever, either simply by virtue of their birth or by virtue of their marriage.  That's ridiculous and frankly patronizing. 

There wasn't a lot about Kate in her early years to look up to, and it was frustrating to see her held up as a paragon of what modern womanhood is.  I do think there is a lot to admire now, as she has matured and learned and changed and developed.  And isn't that what we wish for everyone?  Growth and progress?

I just think it is more of a tribute to her (if we even need to give any simply for reaching a ten-year wedding anniversary) and also more of a valuable and realistic lesson to younger people if there were a more clear-eyed account of all of these first ten years.  I think it can be done without dredging up and rehashing every failure and flaw, and I wish we'd see it instead of these hagiographical puff pieces. 
anneboleyn

Warned
Small Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #7036 on: April 25, 2021, 12:38:35 AM »

That makes absolute sense. Since Iíve joined the board, Iíve gone back and read a lot of old threads to get a feel for the board. The feeling towards Kate has changed drastically since she was a girlfriend and the fiancťe. Some of the biggest Kate praisers now were her biggest critics. Itís been fun watching not only Kate grow and change, but the boards opinion of her as well.
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #7037 on: April 25, 2021, 12:54:04 AM »

As we are approaching their 10 year anniversary, it has been fun to start seeing the picture retrospectives of their first 10 years of marriage.  But I am already tired of the phrase "never put a foot wrong."   I'm not about to rehash all of her failings her first few years...this isn't that kind of post.  I do, however, think it is beyond disingenuous to act like she did everything perfectly from the word "go."  And honestly, I think it would be more of a compliment to her to acknowledge that she had a few stumbles out of the starting gate BUT she listened and learned and worked and changed and has DEVELOPED into the asset she is now.  Does this make sense?  We don't need this sanitized myth that everyone in the royal family is the best and kindest and gentlest and wisest, etc. person ever, either simply by virtue of their birth or by virtue of their marriage.  That's ridiculous and frankly patronizing. 

There wasn't a lot about Kate in her early years to look up to, and it was frustrating to see her held up as a paragon of what modern womanhood is.  I do think there is a lot to admire now, as she has matured and learned and changed and developed.  And isn't that what we wish for everyone?  Growth and progress?

I just think it is more of a tribute to her (if we even need to give any simply for reaching a ten-year wedding anniversary) and also more of a valuable and realistic lesson to younger people if there were a more clear-eyed account of all of these first ten years.  I think it can be done without dredging up and rehashing every failure and flaw, and I wish we'd see it instead of these hagiographical puff pieces. 
  Star As a long time Cambridge fan, I agree with your post.
lothwen

Warned
Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #7038 on: April 25, 2021, 12:54:45 AM »

I agree that thereís been a revisionist history of Kate. She put a foot wrong, multiple times, but I think itís because there was a desire to turn her into Diana 2.0, rather than let her be her own person.
Paulina

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #7039 on: April 25, 2021, 01:12:15 AM »

I used to think Katexwas boring and not interesting. Now I think she is. Family life agrees with her and her projects are outstanding. She dresses for her role but isnít a fashionista. There is much to admire. I also think William really appreciates her more than he used to and it shows. Like has grown and theyíve grown together.
Barrie

Most Exalted Member

Canada Canada

Rufus loves Royal Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #7040 on: April 25, 2021, 01:37:36 AM »

Yes, they have been together since their early twenties, they definitely have grown together.
Royal Me!

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #7041 on: April 25, 2021, 02:00:18 AM »

I used to think Katexwas boring and not interesting. Now I think she is. Family life agrees with her and her projects are outstanding. She dresses for her role but isnít a fashionista. There is much to admire. I also think William really appreciates her more than he used to and it shows. Like has grown and theyíve grown together.

Star   Thumb up  I agree.
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #7042 on: April 25, 2021, 02:06:32 AM »

I remember a very early faux pas of Kateís - I donít remember the occasion but it was a big one. The car was waiting and Kate stopped to ask one of the photographers if she could look at the photo he had just taken of her! William looked unimpressed. 😹 My, how quickly she learnt the ropes after that. ❤️
emtishell

Large Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #7043 on: April 25, 2021, 02:28:35 AM »

I think there is an acknowledgement of 10 years because of past (recent) history of BRF marriages.

Kate certainly isnít perfect, and has made some gaffes and faux pas over the years, but TBF, on the whole, she hasnít ďput a foot wrongĒ. No scandals, no cashing in, sheís produced 3 beautiful and well behaved children, and she has shown she can mature and grow. She may have been a tad boring, but after the terrible 90s, I think boring was a good thing!
Lady Willoughby

Warned
Gigantic Member

Circa Regna Tonat

Ignore
« Reply #7044 on: April 25, 2021, 04:15:28 AM »

There were some bare bums on tarmacs quite a few times. I havenít forgotten those things, I have just acknowledged some growth in wisdom and less hardheadedness overall. Parenthood will do that to a person.

10 years is worth a celebration for anyone.

anneboleyn

Warned
Small Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #7045 on: April 25, 2021, 04:27:11 AM »

She had a lot of issues with refusing to put weights in her skirts. She has grown a lot but sometimes I wonder if sheís just playing her part or if this is the genuine Kate.
esther angeline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #7046 on: April 25, 2021, 04:51:36 AM »

I remember a very early faux pas of Kateís - I donít remember the occasion but it was a big one. The car was waiting and Kate stopped to ask one of the photographers if she could look at the photo he had just taken of her! William looked unimpressed. 😹 My, how quickly she learnt the ropes after that. ❤️
That happened on their wedding night when they were leaving Clarence House with Charles and Camilla enroute for the dinner dance at Buckingham Palace.  I remember that Charles and Camilla looked surprised when she did that!
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #7047 on: April 25, 2021, 06:08:14 AM »

That happened on their wedding night when they were leaving Clarence House with Charles and Camilla enroute for the dinner dance at Buckingham Palace.  I remember that Charles and Camilla looked surprised when she did that!

Ha ha thanks for IDing it. The membersí capacity to store and recall memories on this board is phenomenal !!!🏆
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #7048 on: April 25, 2021, 06:22:05 AM »

She had a lot of issues with refusing to put weights in her skirts. She has grown a lot but sometimes I wonder if sheís just playing her part or if this is the genuine Kate.

Well considering that Catherine's day wear wasn't custom made like QEIi's the hems would not have been weighted. She wore mostly off the rack high street early on. However if she'd chosen more of a pencil skirt shape or longer length, that would have helped.
Tatini

Gigantic Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #7049 on: April 25, 2021, 08:30:01 AM »

I remember thinking of Kate as a frivolous airhead, with her many sartorial malfunctions (Marylin moments she could have avoided), her eye rolling while packing charity goods at a function, her bright pink coat at a commemoration in the USA, her sometimes overstated theme dressing... I could go on for pages. Kate was never perfect, but her heart, IMO, has always been in the right place. She has grown a lot, I  admire her charisma and poise, and her unflappable attitude. She is an asset for the BRF, probably the biggest one they have. Chapeau to Kate!
Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470] 471 472 ... 496   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: