Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 496   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kate - news and photos III  (Read 1663257 times)
Lady Willoughby

Warned
Gigantic Member

United States United States

Circa Regna Tonat

Ignore
« Reply #7005 on: March 28, 2021, 04:40:28 AM »

Very nice project. I appreciate the way they seem to have woven Kates interests/personal passion/hobby in with her official work over the past few years. The most impressive things she’s done have involved her photography and her gardening/outdoorsy side and it’s made her work seem more authentic. We can and have judged her for her snaps and chutney making in the past (I’m guilty as charged) but I can’t say that I believe she’s faking her way through these particular projects and patronage’s now.

sugarcookie

Baby Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #7006 on: March 31, 2021, 05:51:24 AM »

It sounds like a great book. I don't live in the UK so I'll have to buy it online I guess.
lynaH

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #7007 on: April 13, 2021, 02:20:41 AM »

Gyles Brandreth, Prince Philip's biographer and friend, just wrote this about Kate

When Catherine Middleton came along as a potential bride for his grandson, the Duke of Edinburgh was, he told me, 'relieved to find her such a level-headed girl'.
But he refused to take any credit for the successful way in which Catherine has merged into the Royal Family — becoming a star, but somehow managing not to behave like a celebrity.
'If you believe the attention is for you personally,' he told me, 'you're going to end up in trouble. The attention is for your role, what you do, what you're supporting.
'It isn't for you as an individual. You are not a celebrity. You are representing the Royal Family. That's all.
'Don't look at the camera. The Queen never looks at the camera. Never.
'Look at who you're talking to. Look at what you've come to see. Diana looked at the camera.'
I have been on walkabout with the Duchess of Cambridge. And she never looks at the camera.
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #7008 on: April 13, 2021, 02:24:18 AM »

Gyles Brandreth, Prince Philip's biographer and friend, just wrote this about Kate

When Catherine Middleton came along as a potential bride for his grandson, the Duke of Edinburgh was, he told me, 'relieved to find her such a level-headed girl'.
But he refused to take any credit for the successful way in which Catherine has merged into the Royal Family — becoming a star, but somehow managing not to behave like a celebrity.
'If you believe the attention is for you personally,' he told me, 'you're going to end up in trouble. The attention is for your role, what you do, what you're supporting.
'It isn't for you as an individual. You are not a celebrity. You are representing the Royal Family. That's all.
'Look at who you're talking to. Look at what you've come to see. Diana looked at the camera.'
I have been on walkabout with the Duchess of Cambridge. And she never looks at the camera.

More than anything, to me this quotation shows how far Kate has come from her early days, when there was a "camera-hungry eyes" thread about her (and justifiably so) to now when she has really settled into what it means to be in the Royal Family.
lynaH

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #7009 on: April 13, 2021, 02:31:08 AM »

More than anything, to me this quotation shows how far Kate has come from her early days, when there was a "camera-hungry eyes" thread about her (and justifiably so) to now when she has really settled into what it means to be in the Royal Family.
She was always like this. Right after she married William the photographers were complaining that she wouldn't look at them, unlike Diana
Antevorta

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #7010 on: April 13, 2021, 02:41:01 AM »

This has nothing to do with anything really.

I just remember being so excited for the engagement interview because so many us had never heard Catherine’s voice.

We had all seen the pictures over the years but never once truly heard her speak.  We had all watched as she grew up but always in silence.

Looking back, I never realized how good we had it until we got one that never stops talking.

Oh_Caroline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #7011 on: April 13, 2021, 02:46:38 AM »

As nice as that is I’d take Mr. Brandreth’s “information” with a hearty dose of skepticism.  Friends don’t go around writing 1001 articles right after your death...biographers, that know you in passing, hoping to sell more books do.  Mr. Brandreth has been making the rounds of newspapers and tv shows since Philip’s passing.

Not that I don’t see the truth in this but there’s a good chance that a narrative (of the conservations the two men had) has been concocted around the truths about Kate.
lynaH

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #7012 on: April 13, 2021, 03:06:09 AM »

As nice as that is I’d take Mr. Brandreth’s “information” with a hearty dose of skepticism.  Friends don’t go around writing 1001 articles right after your death...biographers, that know you in passing, hoping to sell more books do.  Mr. Brandreth has been making the rounds of newspapers and tv shows since Philip’s passing.

Not that I don’t see the truth in this but there’s a good chance that a narrative (of the conservations the two men had) has been concocted around the truths about Kate.
Brandreth specifically says that he is not a friend , just that they were friendly and that they spent time together ,had long conversations, and did it for 40 years. I'm the one who says it was a friendship after reading stories of their interactions. What the man is is the prince's authorized biographer. He got access to documents and interviews with all the royals.
esther angeline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #7013 on: April 13, 2021, 03:23:58 AM »

Many of Brandreth’s comments are being taken from his book on Philip: “ Philip: The Final Portrait.”  It is being published around April 27.
Oh_Caroline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #7014 on: April 13, 2021, 03:26:07 AM »

As nice as that is I’d take Mr. Brandreth’s “information” with a hearty dose of skepticism.  Friends don’t go around writing 1001 articles right after your death...biographers, that know you in passing, hoping to sell more books do.  Mr. Brandreth has been making the rounds of newspapers and tv shows since Philip’s passing.

Brandreth specifically says that he is not a friend , just that they were friendly and that they spent time together ,had long conversations, and did it for 40 years. I'm the one who says it was a friendship after reading stories of their interactions. What the man is is the prince's authorized biographer. He got access to documents and interviews with all the royals.

Oops.  Sorry girl.

I’ll still stand by my cynicism and generalized distaste for the way he’s doing the rounds with all these “stories”.  I’m not surprised that he’s got a new book coming out and is pushing it following Philip’s passing.
lynaH

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #7015 on: April 13, 2021, 03:39:27 AM »

As nice as that is I’d take Mr. Brandreth’s “information” with a hearty dose of skepticism.  Friends don’t go around writing 1001 articles right after your death...biographers, that know you in passing, hoping to sell more books do.  Mr. Brandreth has been making the rounds of newspapers and tv shows since Philip’s passing.

Oops.  Sorry girl.

I’ll still stand by my cynicism and generalized distaste for the way he’s doing the rounds with all these “stories”.  I’m not surprised that he’s got a new book coming out and is pushing it following Philip’s passing.
I think the book was written especially for Prince Phillip's passing. It was announced after he died, and the publication is so soon. Not to mention the title.  He's probably been revising his old book for the past 15 years to have it ready to go the instant the prince passes.
The palace is behind him. This book is the version the palace wants out there. The interviews are the interviews the palace wants given.
Oh_Caroline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #7016 on: April 13, 2021, 03:49:53 AM »

Oops.  Sorry girl.

I think the book was written especially for Prince Phillip's passing. It was announced after he died, and the publication is so soon. Not to mention the title.  He's probably been revising his old book for the past 15 years to have it ready to go the instant the prince passes.
The palace is behind him. This book is the version the palace wants out there. The interviews are the interviews the palace wants given.

Possibly.  I looked up reviews for his first book and several called it "semi-authorized", what ever that means.

https://www.nytimes.com/2...ps-a-little-one-must.html

That leaves the author free to speculate, fill in blanks and make up dialogue. ... He is also free to inflate the extent of his contact with the royals, although the acquaintance sounds substantial enough to make this a semi-authorized biography.

Unfortunately I side eye all royal biographers...authorized, semi-authorized, un-authorized...they're all in it to make money.  There were numerous biographies written in advance of Philip's 100th and I'm sure several more in anticipation of his death.  Mr. Brandreth talks a good game and yes may actually have some insider knowledge but I highly doubt the palace wants him to be pushing his book left, right, and center five minutes after Philip's passing. 

But that's just me.  You all do you.  I'm off to bed.
lynaH

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #7017 on: April 13, 2021, 04:17:12 AM »

Oops.  Sorry girl.

Possibly.  I looked up reviews for his first book and several called it "semi-authorized", what ever that means.

https://www.nytimes.com/2...ps-a-little-one-must.html

That leaves the author free to speculate, fill in blanks and make up dialogue. ... He is also free to inflate the extent of his contact with the royals, although the acquaintance sounds substantial enough to make this a semi-authorized biography.

Unfortunately I side eye all royal biographers...authorized, semi-authorized, un-authorized...they're all in it to make money.  There were numerous biographies written in advance of Philip's 100th and I'm sure several more in anticipation of his death.  Mr. Brandreth talks a good game and yes may actually have some insider knowledge but I highly doubt the palace wants him to be pushing his book left, right, and center five minutes after Philip's passing. 

But that's just me.  You all do you.  I'm off to bed.

Semi Authorized means that Prince Philip looked over the book and corrected anything inaccurate, and that the author was able to ask him questions about everything, but its not the official version comissioned by the palace after a royal dies.
Brandreth is the only biographer of Elizabeth II to have never read The Little Princesses, and to consider reading it an invasion of the Queen's privacy. His previous book is filled with direct quotes from prince philip to him personally setting the record straight on every rumor that has been out.
Gyles Brandreth is to Prince Philip what Andrew Morton was to Diana. Hes giving the palace version of Prince Philip, and I suspect that the palace wants their version to be spread everywhere to prevent other people spreading the unauthorized version. He's the unofficial spokesman.

And sweet dreams.
Chandrasekhi

Gigantic Member

Vanuatu Vanuatu

The Memorial Wall along the Southbank in London

Ignore
« Reply #7018 on: April 13, 2021, 08:17:43 AM »

To Gyles' credit he interviewed many people for his first book on PP, including one of HM's biographers. He reached whatever conclusions he did, despite the access to PP.  PP did not ghostwrite it, unlike Morton' and Scooby Doo's hagiographies. His first book is really well written. I wouldn't tar him with the same brush as Morton or the recently minted "royal writers". The NYT review is extremely cynical. Gyle's conclusion about one of the more gossipped about aspects of PP's life took me some time to wrap my head around.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 09:05:23 AM by Chandrasekhi » Logged

The Book Fairies are joining judges and contributors to the #HoldStill2020 project to mark the release of the beautiful book! We are leaving copies at places that gave us hope during lockdowns. #HSBookFairies #ibelieveinbookfairies
Gemsheal

Medium Member

Classic stink eye

Ignore
« Reply #7019 on: April 13, 2021, 04:13:22 PM »

To Gyles' credit he interviewed many people for his first book on PP, including one of HM's biographers. He reached whatever conclusions he did, despite the access to PP.  PP did not ghostwrite it, unlike Morton' and Scooby Doo's hagiographies. His first book is really well written. I wouldn't tar him with the same brush as Morton or the recently minted "royal writers". The NYT review is extremely cynical. Gyle's conclusion about one of the more gossipped about aspects of PP's life took me some time to wrap my head around.

Chandra I must be tired this morning (here in the US) but who is Scooby Doo?   

"... luscious woodbine,
With sweet musk roses and with eglantine:
There sleeps Titania sometime of the night,
Lull'd in these flowers with dances and delight."

Shakespeare - A Midsummer Night's Dream
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 496   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: