Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Princess Margaret of Connaught - later The Crown Princess of Sweden  (Read 11518 times)
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 03:11:07 AM »

So who is the child in this picture? She's beautiful!

I see a very, very strong resemblance to Anne-Marie of Greece in young Ingrid.
periwinkle

Big Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2018, 03:36:14 AM »

Yes I see Anne Marie also her son Nicholas.
CyrilSebastian

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2019, 09:30:57 PM »

Some of the flower gardens at Sofiero Palace were created by Crown Princess Margareta.   
Sofiero Castle Gardens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU2SKQzPtgo
Carreen

Baby Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2019, 10:18:54 PM »

Thank you for these lovely pictures. I also have a special place in my heart for this granddaughter of Queen Victoria who used the neutrality of her country, Sweden, to send letters from cousin to cousin between warring countries in the First World War.

I fear she had a painful death - what I read about otitis/mastoidits complications... nowadays, I guess she'd get antibiotics and survive.

Her niece Louise Mountbatten became her widower's second wife. They're buried together. It's sad Loouise's only child was stillborn but she was, as far as we can judge, a loving second mother to Daisy's children. She's an interesting and very likeable figure, too. (I love how the siblings went on holidays together when they were older - it's in the book about her sister Alice. Alice, Dickie and Louise were so close - that made me really like Dickie!)

Daisy had artistic talent, she was a good photographer and sometimes I think her great-granddaughter may have inherited it from her.

I wish there was a good book about her but most books focus on the crowned descendants of Queen Victoria - there's always a lot of interest in the Hesse girls, Missy & Ducky and the obnoxious Kaiser and of course the Wales sons and daughters... I think Margaret/Margareta/Daisy was a lovely young woman and I'd love to have seen her as queen.  Such a tragedy, to die so young and leave young children behind.
esther angeline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2019, 07:04:06 AM »

Lovely summary  Star but Louise wasn't her niece but her second cousin.  Louise was a grandaughter  of
Princess Alice of Hesse- Darmstadt , a daughter of Queen Victoria, and thus a great grandaughter of Queen V.  Princess Alice and Margaret's father, the Duke of Connaught , were sibs making them cousins.
Carreen

Baby Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2019, 06:47:14 PM »

English is only my 3rd language... I'm confused now but I think in German we'd call Louise a Grossnichte ("grand niece") of Daisy's... have to think about that now. Anyway you understood what I meant  Grin Louise's grandmother and Daisy's father were siblings.

I don't know where I saw an interview with Queen Silvia in one of the Swedish palaces where a portrait of Margareta/Daisy was hanging on the wall. The journalist, to open the conversation, asked politely about the painting, and Queen Silvia told him about Crown Princess Margareta. It was nice to see that her memory is so much alive. I'll have to find that interview again and listen better to what Queen Silvia said :-)
esther angeline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2019, 06:29:33 PM »

I think your English is brilliant!
lilyrose

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2019, 06:20:54 AM »

I find this photo so sweet the way Gustaf and Margaret's hands are *just* touching each other. I've always had an affinity for her; her father is my favorite of Queen Victoria's children, so I guess it was natural for me to be so interested in his eldest daughter too. She and her husband were a handsome pair and their children were all so cute as little ones. You can tell Margaret really loved them. Her death was doubly tragic because I think she was fairly far along in her pregnancy as well.
CyrilSebastian

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2019, 11:28:14 PM »

When she arrived in Sweden, Margareta began taking Swedish language lessons as well as lessons in history and social welfare.
CyrilSebastian

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2019, 12:03:32 AM »

The marriage of Princess Margaret of Connaught to Prince Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden   
http://www.alamy.com/half...weden-image218570413.html
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: