Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice from any Dutch Dishers please!!!  (Read 1495 times)
LapsedOptimist

Baby Member

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Ignore
« on: October 30, 2017, 08:18:36 PM »

Hi,

I'm a long time reader but only an occasional poster!!  I'm hoping for advice / points from any Dutch dishers or any disher who has ever lived in The Netherlands. 

My family and I will be moving from Ireland to Eindhoven.  My husband starts a new job there in January working for a tech company.  I'm hoping for some advice on the following:

(1) What areas would be considered good for renting?  What areas (if any!!) should we avoid?   We'd like somewhere that's easy to get to the center of Eindhoven from especially by public transport.  Our children will be attending the International School so that is another factor we need to consider regarding location. 
(2) I will be looking for work (I'm a P.A / Secretary) however I only speak English and Irish but I'm more than happy  to do call center work etc.  My only restriction is location -  My husband will be travelling abroad approx. 60% of the time so I don't want to be too far away from our children especially as we have no family nearby and currently don't know anyone there. 
(3) Any general tips for living in The Netherlands?  Maybe things that everyone there knows but expats don't!! 

Thanks for reading and every response is appreciated!!  Smiley
Princess Jasmine

Mini Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 05:40:30 PM »

Never really go to Eindhoven, but... there is an Expats in Eindhoven Facebook group with over 9k people. I am sure they will help you with these questions. Good luck! X
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 06:58:54 PM »

I have worked in Eindhoven for a while, but commuted from somewhere else in the Netherlands. Which would be too far for you and your family. I am not very familiar in Eindhoven, but I agree with Princess Jasmine that Eindhoven has a very large expat community. Most of them working for Philips, ASML and related companies. It would be a good idea of contacting them, as they would also know the pittfals.

For a lot of bigger companies the main used language is English, so that is an advantage in your case. But knowing a bit Dutch would help. Especially in work spaces where most of the employees are Dutch (or Flemish).

LapsedOptimist

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 12:02:32 PM »

Never really go to Eindhoven, but... there is an Expats in Eindhoven Facebook group with over 9k people. I am sure they will help you with these questions. Good luck! X

Thank you.  I've contacted the Facebook page and they've been very helpful.   
LapsedOptimist

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 12:03:24 PM »

I have worked in Eindhoven for a while, but commuted from somewhere else in the Netherlands. Which would be too far for you and your family. I am not very familiar in Eindhoven, but I agree with Princess Jasmine that Eindhoven has a very large expat community. Most of them working for Philips, ASML and related companies. It would be a good idea of contacting them, as they would also know the pittfals.

For a lot of bigger companies the main used language is English, so that is an advantage in your case. But knowing a bit Dutch would help. Especially in work spaces where most of the employees are Dutch (or Flemish).

Thank you for the suggestions.   Smiley
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 01:59:47 PM »

Thank you for the suggestions.   Smiley

Good luck!  Hug
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: