Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: April The Giraffe  (Read 9300 times)
Suzerain

Warned
Humongous Member

Heard Island and McDonald Islands Heard Island and McDonald Islands

Snarkle gets the preciousss....

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2017, 03:41:32 PM »

Morning update from Animal Adventure Park:

"3/31 Morning Update

The staff have been onsite with April all morning, Dr Tim was called and onsite within minutes. All observations, behavior, and predictions suggest a calf today, tonight - we would be shocked to get through the weekend without our newest addition.

This is what we have all been waiting for!

Keep April and our team in your positive thoughts."

Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana

Yay, the giraffe baby is finally on its way!!! They've been doing interviews for Good Morning America this morning but finally decided to leave April's pen to give her some privacy as the owner noticed she was having a contraction.

PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2017, 03:33:04 AM »

April is looking for neck rubs from Oliver. Got a few and then he walked away. He's pacing a bit.
She seems wider than she was yesterday.
Is throwing hay on the floor in her pen and dropping some on the floor in Oliver's pen.
She was leaning up against the wall for a few minutes.
Spent a little time licking her belly.
She refused hand-held treats from keepers in the loft.
One keeper came in and she wasn't interested in their treats either. They removed some of the hay from the floor.
Keeper came back in and April lowered her head to his hands.
Oliver is getting treats by hand now. April continues nibbling hay from the basket. Oliver joins her in nibbling.
She is not pacing as much as she has been earlier in the week.
Mostly standing, shaking out a back leg, stretching her neck and lots of tail wagging.
Keeper waves at the camera. Bye-bye for now.
No bebe yet.
Lights out. Back at the basket eating more hay.

20:30 EDT

----------
5 min later: She's thrown a bunch of hay all over the floor in her pen under the basket.

PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2017, 07:11:51 AM »

April was moving slowly all day. Oliver was pacing a track in his pen.

The vet was in today and April was pestering him for some treats as he walked about checking on her.
April often went over to the dividing wall between her and Oliver's pen as if looking for a neck rub or head bump.
She took a rest midday, lowering herself heavily to floor after several attempts.
One of her caretakers came in just before lights-out and she seemed OK with having the visitor. I think it was Alyssa. She did a little clean-up and replaced some of the bedding. She took a few hand-fed treats from her. Once when Alyssa went out of the pen door to dispose of the used bedding, she left the door partly open and April made a play to nudge it open and try to take a few steps out. She was gently guided back to her pen.

It was lights-out a several hours ago. Right now, April is resting her head on the top of the wall nearest the camera.  Her ears have been flicking back and down. Listening for ? Is there someone in the loft watching her and she's watching them? April looks fatigued. Here's hoping she will have her baby by tomorrow.

She is now standing straight up and staring at the camera. It is a little unsettling to watch.

2 April 1:00 (a.m.) EDT

cordtx

Warned
Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2017, 07:18:53 AM »

Maybe she wants to have her baby out of doors.
Is it still too cold. I think it's mean to pin her up like this. Maybe running or walking more might help.
PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2017, 11:04:42 PM »

Had the live feed running in background while doing other things.
~~~~~
11:15
This morning one of the keepers opened the barn door in April's pen and she walked away from the door to the opposite wall. She stood for a while facing away from the door and then slowly  turned and walked to the opening, remaining in the barn.

Oliver, however, was looking to be let out of his pen but he wasn't. He hung his head over the wall looking outside, raising his head to look about. He's pacing. April gazes at scenery from inside the barn.

After 20 minutes of gazing out at the scenery, April came away from the doorway to get a few treats from someone in the loft. Oliver continues his pattern of quick circle of his pen, then head over the wall to gaze at the outdoors. While standing in the corner where the keepers usually enter the pen, April is munching on hay that had been tossed on the floor (by her) . Now she has returned to the doorway extending her neck out the door while remaining inside the barn. It's been 35 minutes since the door was opened.

11:50
April continues to observe the yard from inside the barn at the door. Oliver pokes his head over the wall regularly to look at the yard too, pacing his pen between looks. April is hesitant to go out the door and Oliver, given the chance, would be out of his pen and in the yard it seems.

11:55 The door is closed. :-(  The keeper goes into Oliver's pen, lets him into April's pen. The barn door on Oliver's side is opened. :-) The gate between the pens is opened and Oliver finally returns to his pen. And now he's out the door! April watches from inside her pen. Oliver returns to barn and goes out again then in; and out, and in, and out and in...  I wonder if he ran around the yard. The camera doesn't show the yard.

Noon
April is standing in her pen at the entry door looking at someone?. She walks over to the camera looking up. Is someone in the loft? Oliver continues to walk in and out. April remains in the far corner from the barn doors.

12:10
April is back at the entrance door to her pen looking at what? It's been almost an hour since the barn doors were opened. She has remained inside. Oliver, when given the chance, has walked in and out many times. April watches him when he comes in and looks out the window when he goes out.

Then the barn door is closed and everyone is back inside.
The barn probably needed an airing out. I would have thought that April would have enjoyed a slow walk outside in the yard. Oliver seemed to enjoy it.

Temp was 60F (16C) with light N winds and sunny when the doors were open.
Had to leave for a while but looking at video, I saw April had rested on the floor later in the afternoon.

16:40 April is munching on food in her pen. Stretching her neck quite a bit. Oliver is quiet in his pen.

And no bebe yet. Waiting a little more.   Wink

\/ Photo: April at the door (before Oliver's door was opened).
              He has neck over the wall and is looking out the door here.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 11:09:58 PM by PruNordstrom » Logged

Hester
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2017, 11:43:06 AM »

Watching her now! It's 8 pm Australian eastern time ...must be close, she was still against the wall then suddenly moved .. and she seemed to have a contraction and brace herself. Those tiny skinny legs!
PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2017, 07:13:28 AM »

23:00 EDT on 3 April
April is s-l-o-w-l-y walking around her pen.
She lifts her feet as if walking on eggs.
Then she walks to the corner that is left of the camera and stands still as can be.
She is creeping around the pen again, taking a bit of hay now and then.
This calf is weighing heavily on her now.

Earlier in the evening the kids were chanting ''come on April let's go'' as if that would help. My cousin, former organic dairy farmer, called and asked if I have been watching 'that giraffe.' I told him I was and he said they should turn off the lights in the barn then she'll have her calf. I asked how do you know? 'Had a few cows like her. They didn't mind the night lights in the barn until they were due. Since there weren't any rain storms coming to help things along, we turned off the lights except for one safety light over the door. Had calves the next morning.' Apparently one too many of the 'fussy' cows is the reason he stopped organic dairy farming. Now it's just goats and vegetables, all 'organic', and he's semi-retired. I told him I didn't think giraffes were like dairy cows. His reply, 'cow is a cow short or tall.' No mincing of words here.

00:05 EDT on 4 April
No bebe yet. April is slowly wandering around her pen. Munches a little hay now & then.
I think she is taking the mannequin challenge.  Grin
Oliver is up now. He's been quiet for a while.

Here's hoping the calf arrives before morning.

PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2017, 06:22:40 AM »

First of all, no bebe yet but they say everything is progressing well.

April is taking a few peculiar stances tonight - at least none that I've seen before from the live feed or from recordings. She visits the loft area (out of camera range) pausing then moves to her feeding station under the camera. It amazes me how she can remain motionless for long periods. If it weren't for a bit of movement by Oliver I would have thought there was a transmission error.

The weather is stormy  and will be for the next few days. A big dip in the barometric pressure is forecast for late tomorrow night. I wonder if this will help her labors.

cordtx

Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2017, 07:00:31 AM »

Maybe a little pitocin?
PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2017, 07:36:25 PM »

No calf yet. Her shape has changed and appears to be more in line with a delivery position. And so we wait.

Lizardcandy

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2017, 05:00:37 AM »

No calf yet. Her shape has changed and appears to be more in line with a delivery position. And so we wait.

My kids will be in college before this giraffe is born Tongue
PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2017, 06:04:27 AM »

Midnight 8 April going into 9 April

The episodes of cud-chewing interspersed with interludes of the mannequin challenge continue at the barn in Harpursville. There was quite a long outage of the live feed and the chatter on the comment board was humorous at times -- people thinking that they were missing the calving and the outage was deliberate. Organic farmer cousin texted 'turn lites out, calf comes out' and I responded 'u still watching?' I received blush face emoji response. Grin

April is the only giraffe in her pen at this time.

PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2017, 05:39:02 AM »

23:30 EDT
After weeks of standing in the open doorway of the barn April finally went out into the yard today. April is pacing more than she has in the last couple of weeks. She continues to eat a little more than a few days ago. Currently she is laying down as still a statue with her back to camera and her eyes away from the lights. The wait continues. *sigh*

PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2017, 05:42:08 AM »

My kids will be in college before this giraffe is born Tongue

A poster's on the comment on FB page was that she has been pregnant since 2015 - that's one-five.

cordtx

Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2017, 06:45:49 AM »

Any hint the vets are getting worried? I am a bit.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: