Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 42   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Royal names  (Read 50119 times)
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: October 25, 2019, 08:53:23 AM »

Princess Victoria Melita of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (1876-1936) was the daughter of Alfred, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha and Grand Duchess Marie Alexandrovna of Russia. Victoria was born in San Anton Palace in Attard, Malta. Her second name of Melita comes from Malta. Thus she was named after a geographic location and not a royal relative.

And there's her niece Marie Melita of Schleswig-Holstein.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: October 25, 2019, 10:10:51 AM »

Princess Victoria Melita of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (1876-1936) was the daughter of Alfred, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha and Grand Duchess Marie Alexandrovna of Russia. Victoria was born in San Anton Palace in Attard, Malta. Her second name of Melita comes from Malta. Thus she was named after a geographic location and not a royal relative.

So they were their time ahead….thinking of all those people who named their child after where he/she was conceived and/or born  Tongue Grin Wink
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: October 25, 2019, 10:46:05 AM »

A very short nonsense article about weird, unusual, rare royal names after Meghan was added to the BRF: https://www.stuckonyou.co...blog/unusual-royal-names/

At first they have 'Thyra', only mentioned to be the wife of king Gorm. But bypassing other Thyra's in royal circles. The best known off course is Princess Thyra of Denmark (1853-1933), younger sister of Alexandra and Dagmar who became respectively became Queen Alexandra of the United Kingdom and Empress Maria Feodorovna of Russia.

And who would have thought Meghan and Harry's first born would get a very unusual name for a royal baby: 'Archie'.
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2019, 10:46:02 PM »

How often is a Prince named Bonaventura? Franz, Duke of Bavaria is the head of the House of Wittelsbach. His name is Franz Bonaventura Adalbert Maria Herzog von Bayern.
Duchess of Verona

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: November 03, 2019, 11:13:49 PM »

A very short nonsense article about weird, unusual, rare royal names after Meghan was added to the BRF: https://www.stuckonyou.co...blog/unusual-royal-names/

At first they have 'Thyra', only mentioned to be the wife of king Gorm. But bypassing other Thyra's in royal circles. The best known off course is Princess Thyra of Denmark (1853-1933), younger sister of Alexandra and Dagmar who became respectively became Queen Alexandra of the United Kingdom and Empress Maria Feodorovna of Russia.

And who would have thought Meghan and Harry's first born would get a very unusual name for a royal baby: 'Archie'.
I am still not over Master Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor. He's the Earl of Dumbarton, you dumbasses (not you guys, those idiots who named him). He becomes a Prince the second Charles ascends, as grandchild of the Monarch. I know, let's pretend the first 15 years of his life that he's just Archie. That will make for a smooth transition.
Lady Willoughby

Warned
Gigantic Member

Circa Regna Tonat

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2019, 11:41:57 PM »

I am still not over Master Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor. He's the Earl of Dumbarton, you dumbasses (not you guys, those idiots who named him). He becomes a Prince the second Charles ascends, as grandchild of the Monarch. I know, let's pretend the first 15 years of his life that he's just Archie. That will make for a smooth transition.

He’ll always be Doug Dumbarton to me  Laughing

Lady Liebe

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: November 04, 2019, 12:13:41 AM »

He’ll always be Doug Dumbarton to me  Laughing

Doug Dumbarton, son of Dumb & Dumber. Take your pick of who's who. 

Sorry Maria - I know I've veered out of line. 

Compassion without truth isn't love, it's flattery. Love not only weeps, it also speaks.   Reagan Rose
Gemsheal

Small Member

I make all my memes

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: November 05, 2019, 12:51:54 AM »

Princess Marie Frederica of Hesse-Kassel (1804-1888) was the daughter of William II, Elector of Hesse and Princess Augusta of Prussia.   
Princess Augusta's name was Christine Friederike (Frederica) Auguste. Her mother was Frederika Louisa of Hesse-Darmstadt.s
I wish the name "Sybilla" would make a comeback in royal circles - hasn't been used since CG's mother, I believe.  Even as a second name - wouldn't Alice Sybilla Frances make a nice name for a 2nd Princess of Cambridge (or even Sussex, in a pinch ).   I would love to see "Christine Frederike" make a comeback in the Danish/Swedish/Norwegian royal name pool, as well.

Baroness Sybilla von Dincklage is the daughter of Princess Margaretha, the sister of King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden. Sybilla was named after her maternal grandmother.
Sybilla of Luxembourg (great-grand-daughter of Victoria Eugenie of Spain.)

Here is the lowdown on how these three names should be written ... interestingly, no one's name is "SYBILLA."

1. King Carl Gustaf's mother was born Princess Sibylla Calma Marie Alice Bathildis Feodora of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, spelled SIBYLLA.

2. Baroness von Dincklage was named after her grandmother, and is, thus, named SIBYLLA Louise Ambler. 

3. Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg, Henri's brother, is married to the former SIBILLA Weiller.  She is now SIBILLA of Luxembourg.

Mmm, I prefer when it's spelled Sybilla but to each his own. 

My fondest childhood memory is ... not having to pay bills and taxes 🤓
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: November 05, 2019, 09:29:06 AM »

Princess Marie Frederica of Hesse-Kassel (1804-1888) was the daughter of William II, Elector of Hesse and Princess Augusta of Prussia.   
Princess Augusta's name was Christine Friederike (Frederica) Auguste. Her mother was Frederika Louisa of Hesse-Darmstadt.s
I wish the name "Sybilla" would make a comeback in royal circles - hasn't been used since CG's mother, I believe.  Even as a second name - wouldn't Alice Sybilla Frances make a nice name for a 2nd Princess of Cambridge (or even Sussex, in a pinch ).   I would love to see "Christine Frederike" make a comeback in the Danish/Swedish/Norwegian royal name pool, as well.

Baroness Sybilla von Dincklage is the daughter of Princess Margaretha, the sister of King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden. Sybilla was named after her maternal grandmother.
Sybilla of Luxembourg (great-grand-daughter of Victoria Eugenie of Spain.)

Here is the lowdown on how these three names should be written ... interestingly, no one's name is "SYBILLA."

1. King Carl Gustaf's mother was born Princess Sibylla Calma Marie Alice Bathildis Feodora of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, spelled SIBYLLA.

2. Baroness von Dincklage was named after her grandmother, and is, thus, named SIBYLLA Louise Ambler. 

3. Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg, Henri's brother, is married to the former SIBILLA Weiller.  She is now SIBILLA of Luxembourg.

Mmm, I prefer when it's spelled Sybilla but to each his own. 

Still interesting, wonder if it is personal preference of the royal parents or local differences.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: November 05, 2019, 09:42:47 AM »

Irene (Ειρήνη Eirene), sometimes written Irini, is derived from εἰρήνη - the Greek for "peace".

There are several royals over time who got this first name:
- Princess Irene of Greece and Denmark (b. 1942) - youngest child of King Paul of Greece and his wife Princess Frederika of Hanover. She is the younger sister of Queen Sofía of Spain and of the deposed King Constantine II of Greece and maternal aunt of Felipe VI of Spain. Never married and no issue.
- Irene de Todos los Santos Urdangarin y Borbón (b. 2005) - youngest child and only daughter of infanta Cristina de Borbón and Iñaki Urdangarin. She is named for her mothers maternal aunt princess Irene of Greece and Denmark.
- Princess Irene of the Netherlands (b. 1939) - 2nd daughter of Queen Juliana of the Netherlands and her husband prince Bernhard von Lippe-Biesterfeld. She is the sister of Queen Beatrix, princess Margriet and princess Christina. She was married to Prince Carlos Hugo de Bourbon Parma, Duke of Parma (later divorced) and had issue.
- Princess Irene of Greece and Denmark (b. 1904 - d. 1974) -  the fifth child and second daughter of Constantine I of Greece and his wife, the former Princess Sophie of Prussia. On 1 July 1939, Princess Irene married Prince Aimone, Duke of Spoleto (b. 9 March 1900 in Florence, Italy) They had one child: Prince Amedeo, born 27 September 1943
- Princess Irene of Hesse and by Rhine (b. 1866 - d. 1953) - the third child and third daughter of Princess Alice of the United Kingdom and Louis IV, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine. Irene married Prince Heinrich of Prussia, the third child and second son of Frederick III, German Emperor and Victoria, Princess Royal on 24 May 1888 at the chapel of the Charlottenburg Palace in Berlin. As their mothers were sisters, Irene and Heinrich were first cousins.  They had 3 sons.

There were also Byzantine royals named Irene

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: November 05, 2019, 02:56:59 PM »

Maurits is the Dutch equivalent of the masculine given name Maurice

- Prince Maurits of Nassau, (1567–1625), military leader of the Dutch Republic, son of Willem I of Orange
- Count Johan Maurits of Nassau, (1604–1679) also known as 'the Brazilian'
- Prince Maurits of the Netherlands (1843-1850), second son of King William III
- Prince Maurits of Orange-Nassau, van Vollenhoven (born 1968). Oldest son of princess   Margriet and nephew of Queen Beatrix.

Mauritius, officially the Republic of Mauritius, is an island nation in the Indian Ocean. In 1598 a Dutch squadron under Admiral Wybrand Van Warwyck landed at Grand Port on the island and named the island "Mauritius" after Prince Maurits of Nassau (Dutch: Maurits van Nassau) of the Dutch Republic.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: November 05, 2019, 03:00:57 PM »

Margriet is a Dutch feminine given name, a form of Margaretha. It is also the Dutch name for a specific species of flower: Leucanthemum species (in English called Daisy)

Princess Margriet, 3rd daughter of Queen Juliana and prince Bernhard. Younger sister of Queen Beatrix.
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: November 10, 2019, 02:13:54 AM »

Emperor Francis Joseph I was Emperor of Austria and Apostolic King of Hungary.   
His grandnephew Charles I was Karl Franz Joseph Ludwig Hubert Georg Otto Maria.   
Prince Francis Joseph of Braganza (1879-1919) was the namesake of his godfather Emperor Francis Joseph I of Austria.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2019, 10:35:41 AM »

Emperor Francis Joseph I was Emperor of Austria and Apostolic King of Hungary.  
His grandnephew Charles I was Karl Franz Joseph Ludwig Hubert Georg Otto Maria.  
Prince Francis Joseph of Braganza (1879-1919) was the namesake of his godfather Emperor Francis Joseph I of Austria.

Wondering which spelling the emperor used himself:
Franz Josef
Franz Jozef
Franz Joseph
Francis Joseph

or other?

The German language wiki says Franz Joseph. According to the same wiki about his name:

"...The monarch, previously known as Archduke Franz, assumed a double name as emperor. At first it was planned to name him after the grandfather, the first emperor of Austria, Franz I., Franz. Finally, it was decided by the addition of his second name Joseph to remember the people still popular Reform Emperor Joseph II (1765-1790). For this reason, one chose the unusual for a monarch from the House of Habsburg double name Franz Joseph I...."

"..The double-name written without a dash thus signaled both constancy and progress. In view of the suggested eternity of the Austrian monarchy, the name was officially always used with the Roman atomic number I. (read: the first, monogram: FJI).

In the other official languages ​​of the monarchy the name was I. Ferenc József (Hungarian), František Josef I (Czech), Franciszek Józef I (Polish), Franjo Josip I (Croatian), Francesco Giuseppe I (Italian), František Jozef I (Slovak), Franc Jožef I (Slovenian), Фрањо Јосиф (Franjo Josif) I (Serbian), Francisc Iosif I (Romanian), Франц Йосиф I (Ruthenian).

Due to the common practice of transferring the names of monarchs in the respective national language, there are also in other languages ​​corresponding name forms. The Emperor was therefore also known as Francis Joseph I of Austria (English) and François Joseph Ier d'Autriche (French).

First names were often adapted to the spelling reform introduced in Austria in 1902/1903. A tribute book of the Viennese city administration to 60 years of reign of the emperor therefore gave its name 1908 in the spelling Franz Josef I..…."

« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 10:41:37 AM by Principessa » Logged
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: November 15, 2019, 12:03:46 AM »

How often is a Prince named Wolfgang? Albert Wolfgang (1689-1734) was a Margrave of Brandenburg-Bayreuth. He served as a general in the imperial army.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 42   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: