Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Royal names  (Read 30577 times)
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 11:15:18 PM »

Sofia....a name, in different spelling, also seen in European royal and noble families in the past and present day. That one in Sweden can be referred to as the Snake or Snakey  Wink
CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2019, 11:03:31 PM »

Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany's name was Friedrich Wilhelm Viktor Albert.   
Three out of his six sons had Wilhelm included among their names.     
Crown Prince Wilhelm: Friedrich Wilhelm Victor August Ernst   
Prince Eitel Friedrich: Wilhelm Eitel Friedrich Christian   
Prince August Wilhelm: August Wilhelm Heinrich Gunther Viktor
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2019, 11:06:02 PM »

Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany's name was Friedrich Wilhelm Viktor Albert.   
Three out of his six sons had Wilhelm included among their names.     
Crown Prince Wilhelm: Friedrich Wilhelm Victor August Ernst   
Prince Eitel Friedrich: Wilhelm Eitel Friedrich Christian   
Prince August Wilhelm: August Wilhelm Heinrich Gunther Viktor

In NL the Dutch version of the name, Willem, has been abundant, most probably in honor of the 1st Orange-Nassau of NL, Willem the Silent.
CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2019, 11:18:21 PM »

Queen Philippa of England gave birth to Princess Isabella in 1332. She may have named her first daughter after the Dowager Queen Isabella, the consort of King Edward II. However, Isabelle was also Philippa's sister's name.
CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2019, 09:45:56 PM »

Maria Theresa, Holy Roman Empress lived from 1717 to 1780. Her name of Maria Theresa was used for several descendants. 
Maria Theresa of France was the daughter of Queen Marie Antoinette and King Louis XVI of France.   
Maria Theresa of Austria (1767-1827) was the daughter of Holy Roman Emperor Leopold II. She was later Queen of Saxony.   
Maria Theresa of Naples and Sicily was the daughter of Maria Carolina of Austria.
CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2019, 11:36:30 PM »

Prince Ludwig of Bavaria (the future Ludwig II) was born in 1845. His parents, Crown Prince Maximilian and Crown Princess Marie, intended to name the child Otto. However, the Prince's grandfather, King Ludwig I of Bavaria, insisted that his grandson be named after him. They shared the same birthday, August 25.
CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2019, 12:15:00 AM »

Quote from Princess Alice of Hesse and by Rhine on the name Elizabeth after the birth of Princess Elizabeth of Hesse:   
"Louis' mother is to be godmother, because it is customary here to ask someone of the name of the child to receive to stand on the occasion [of her christening]. We like Elizabeth on account of St. Elizabeth [of Hungary] being the ancestress of the Hessian as well as the Saxon House." (20 November 1864)
CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2019, 11:06:11 PM »

There were some imperial ladies who retained their first name when they married into the Imperial House of Romanov.   
Marie of Hesse and by Rhine became the wife of Emperor Alexander II. She was Empress Marie Alexandrovna.     
Dagmar of Denmark was Princess Marie Sophie Frederikke Dagmar. She became the wife of Emperor Alexander III. She was Empress Marie Feodorovna.   
Princess Victoria Melita married Grand Duke Cyril Vladimirovich. She was Grand Duchess Victoria Feodorovna.
CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2019, 12:02:10 AM »

William I, Prince of Orange (1533-1584) had daughters named Catharina Belgica, Charlotte Flandrina, and Charlotte Brabantina. These Princesses were named after regions of what has been Belgium since the 1830s.     

The name Henrietta arrived in England in 1625 via King Charles I's wife, the French Princess Henriette Marie, who became known as Henrietta Maria. Their daughter was Princess Henrietta Anne.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2019, 12:26:54 AM »

William I, Prince of Orange (1533-1584) had daughters named Catharina Belgica, Charlotte Flandrina, and Charlotte Brabantina. These Princesses were named after regions of what has been Belgium since the 1830s.     

The name Henrietta arrived in England in 1625 via King Charles I's wife, the French Princess Henriette Marie, who became known as Henrietta Maria. Their daughter was Princess Henrietta Anne.

In the Dutch language it is Willem, instead of William.
CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2019, 12:21:52 AM »

The name Maria or Marie was sometimes used as a male name.   
Maximilian Maria was the 7th Prince of Thurn and Taxis from 1871 until 1885. His full name was Maximilian Maria Carl Joseph Gabriel Lamoral.       

Prince Philippe of Belgium, Count of Flanders (1837-1905) was the son of King Leopold I of the Belgians. His name in full is Philippe Eugene Ferdinand Marie.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2019, 10:02:55 AM »

The name Maria or Marie was sometimes used as a male name.   
Maximilian Maria was the 7th Prince of Thurn and Taxis from 1871 until 1885. His full name was Maximilian Maria Carl Joseph Gabriel Lamoral.       

Prince Philippe of Belgium, Count of Flanders (1837-1905) was the son of King Leopold I of the Belgians. His name in full is Philippe Eugene Ferdinand Marie.

The same you will notice in the non royal world. For example my fathers 3rd name is Maria, named after an aunt I believe.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2019, 10:07:42 AM »

In the german speaking countries esp in the catholic areas (Bavaria, Franconia and Austria) Maria as a male middle name was very common.
Many people changed their names to Mario in the seventies to somewhat severe the ties to the religious aspect, but most didn't bother.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2019, 11:33:36 PM »

King George I of Greece (1845-1913) was born Prince William (Vilhelm) of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg.   
He was named after his grandfathers: William, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg and Prince William of Hesse-Kassel.
CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2019, 04:30:39 AM »

Archduke Karl of Austria is the Head of the House of Hapsburg-Lorraine.   
His heir has the name of Ferdinand Zvonimir. He was given the Croatian name Zvonimir after King Zvonimir of Croatia. King Zvonimir reigned from 1075 to 1089.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: