Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Royal names  (Read 7399 times)
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2019, 05:23:13 PM »

Queen Juliana was Queen of The Netherlands from 1948 until 1980. She may have been named after Juliana, Countess of Stolberg-Wernigerode (1506-1580), who was the mother of William the Silent.

According to the Dutch language Wiki, I know not really objective and all, she was indeed named after Juliana zu Stolberg, mother of Willem de Zwijger.

In addition the youngest child and only daughter of princess Christina (who was formerly known as Marijke) is named after her grandmother: Juliana (Guillermo).

Christina's full name is Maria Christina. At first she was known as 'Marijke', Marijke is a Dutch feminine given name. It is originally a diminutive of Mary/Maria. Later on she decided to go by her 2nd name Christina.

Marie Louise of Hesse-Kassel and Johan Willem Friso, Prince of Orange were the parents of Stadhouder Willem IV, ancestors of the current Dutch Royals. Marie Louise was nicknamed Marijke Meu (Aunt Mary) in Frisia. As Marie Louise and Johan Willem Friso lived at the Stadhouder Court in Leeuwarden, Frisia at first.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 05:33:18 PM by Principessa » Logged
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2019, 05:35:50 PM »

I have to confess (yet again) that the first time I heard the announcement of Amalia's names, I thought they said Catharina - Analia  Blush Blush

Well, that would be unsuitable for a heir to the Dutch throne  Laugh bounce
Kristallinchen

Big Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2019, 05:54:40 PM »

Very original was William I. of Orange-Nassau, who named his daughters Catharina Belgica, Charlotte Flandrina, Charlotte Brabantina and Emilia Antwerpiana after the various regions of the country.

Frederick V. (the winter King of Bohemia) had a daughter called Louise Hollandine.
CyrilSebastian

Medium Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2019, 01:33:13 AM »

Prince Eitel Friedrich of Prussia (1885-1942) was the second son of Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany. Eitel Friedrich had been the names of Counts of Hohenzollern.
Kristallinchen

Big Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2019, 10:57:56 AM »

Prince Eitel Friedrich of Prussia (1885-1942) was the second son of Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany. Eitel Friedrich had been the names of Counts of Hohenzollern.

I've read that Eitel can't be given as individual name, but has always to be followed by another real name. It's not actually a name in German, but rather a description of a state (how a person is like).

Eitel means vain in English. So it's the Vain Friedrich.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2019, 01:30:55 PM »

And "Vain Friedrich" would be "Vain Frederic" if translated completely - which leads to wonder if we could not just use the age old tradition of adding  suitable and descriptive adjectives to the name:
Drunk Frederic and Eitel Mary or Willem the Dull and Bloody-good-time Maxima?

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
CyrilSebastian

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2019, 01:44:14 AM »

I've read that Eitel can't be given as individual name, but has always to be followed by another real name. It's not actually a name in German, but rather a description of a state (how a person is like).

Kristallinchen, Thank you for the informative history.  Star
Kristallinchen

Big Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2019, 07:17:34 AM »

And "Vain Friedrich" would be "Vain Frederic" if translated completely - which leads to wonder if we could not just use the age old tradition of adding  suitable and descriptive adjectives to the name:
Drunk Frederic and Eitel Mary or Willem the Dull and Bloody-good-time Maxima?

Eitel Mary fits her well. Laughing
Kristallinchen

Big Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2019, 07:18:28 AM »

Kristallinchen, Thank you for the informative history.  Star

Wink and   Star back
CyrilSebastian

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2019, 11:38:34 PM »

How often does a Princess have the name of Renate? Princess Sophie Renate Reuss of Kostritz (1887-1956) was the daughter of Charles Alexander, Grand Duke of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2019, 01:29:55 PM »

When the first name of the 2nd daughter of WA and Maxima was announced (Alexia), there were people who wondered if there was a connection with an illegitimate daughter of Prince Bernhard (WA's grandfather). This illegitimate daughter is called Alexia Grinda.

But WA stated that Maxima wanted to name this daughter after WA. Apparently the name Alexander (without Willem) is used within a small circle. Alexia is therefore a derivative of Alexander, part of her father's name.
CyrilSebastian

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Yesterday at 01:45:11 AM »

Infante Pedro Carlos of Spain and Portugal was Pedro Carlos Antonio Rafael Jose Javier Francisco Juan Nepomuceno Tomas de Villanueva Marcos Marcelino Vicente Ferrer Raymundo. His grandfathers were King Carlos III of Spain and King Pedro III of Portugal.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: