Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 96   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: News and photos of Harry.  (Read 167392 times)
Hibou

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2017, 02:59:22 PM »

Some Round Up of the Day. From tumblr (mycrarrythings)
Harry gave short interviews to BBC, ITV and Sky News and a longer one to Sian Williams from Channel 5 as she’s running the marathon.

VIDEO LINK: Harry talking to the BBC about sharing struggles with MH https://twitter.com/BBCPe...status/854758394116354052

Real mad "If the appetite is there, things will change." Really? How stupid is he? They started this campaign without thoughts of the future? They tell people to start talking and seek help but there will be no help available and they don't want to support/fund charities who provide that help? What exactly did people donate money for? To produce thousands of silly headbands and all the rest of the various over the top advertising material for this campaign? Or to employ some more PR people managing this campaign to make W,K & H look busy? To fund some events to meet the plebs and let them talk about most private things in front of the cameras to make it look like the trio cares?

This is unbelievable. Thanks to Peter Hunt for asking the right questions. These are exactly the concerns I had after a few stories of charities working with HT got out, saying that no money comes their way despite donations. What on earth are they thinking? One of W&H's friends (or was it a son of a friend Thinking) commited suicide because he didn't get help at the time of need. IIRC he went to the hospital and still didn't get the support needed, so he took his life shortly afterwards. And they don't think what they do is dangerous?

JMO
Sorry for the rant.

I think it was meant to get to people who might not reach out for help and hope they will now seek it. Transparency in a non-profit is necessary to get sponsors on board and thus increase the availability of counselors for those in urgent need. I hope this is just the beginning and more will grow out of this organization.
identitycrisis

Warned
Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2017, 03:22:26 PM »

Harry gave short interviews to BBC, ITV and Sky News and a longer one to Sian Williams from Channel 5 as she’s running the marathon.

VIDEO LINK: Harry talking to the BBC about sharing struggles with MH https://twitter.com/BBCPe...status/854758394116354052

Real mad "If the appetite is there, things will change." Really? How stupid is he? They started this campaign without thoughts of the future? They tell people to start talking and seek help but there will be no help available and they don't want to support/fund charities who provide that help? What exactly did people donate money for? To produce thousands of silly headbands and all the rest of the various over the top advertising material for this campaign? Or to employ some more PR people managing this campaign to make W,K & H look busy? To fund some events to meet the plebs and let them talk about most private things in front of the cameras to make it look like the trio cares?

This is unbelievable. Thanks to Peter Hunt for asking the right questions. These are exactly the concerns I had after a few stories of charities working with HT got out, saying that no money comes their way despite donations. What on earth are they thinking? One of W&H's friends (or was it a son of a friend Thinking) commited suicide because he didn't get help at the time of need. IIRC he went to the hospital and still didn't get the support needed, so he took his life shortly afterwards. And they don't think what they do is dangerous?

JMO
Sorry for the rant.

James Wentworth-Stanley committed suicide because he was distraught and the hospital didn't treat his case with the urgency it deserved. He went to the hospital, told them he was suicidal and they sat him in the waiting room so he left. They told his parents via a letter sent to the wrong address that came after he had shot himself. That's an issue with how the hospital prioritized the case, but James went for help. The trio aren't discussing the NHS because that's a political monefield they can't wade into. But James' family can and have done so.
wisdomheaven

Gigantic Member

#SRFSugar

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2017, 03:45:11 PM »

JMO
Sorry for the rant.

I think it was meant to get to people who might not reach out for help and hope they will now seek it. Transparency in a non-profit is necessary to get sponsors on board and thus increase the availability of counselors for those in urgent need. I hope this is just the beginning and more will grow out of this organization.

I think Harry answered the question well...talking about the NHS which is extremely political and polarizing in the UK would be a bad move and I am honestly surprised Peter Hunt asked about it.

Now, I would love to see all three young royals talk about the NHS and why it's important to fund mental health services better there, but can understand the hesitation.
Antevorta

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2017, 05:12:24 PM »

JMO
Sorry for the rant.

This is my exact problem with their Heads Together campaign.  They are bringing to the forefront mental health awareness and while that is an excellent thing to have conversations about, Heads Together is not raising any additional funds for any mental health charities.  Therefore, they are bringing widespread attention to and encouraging people to get help without providing any money so that there are people to actually treat the people that are coming forward.  All the groups are getting from this campaign is publicity and smaller groups won't be able to handle the demand and that will result in people not being able to get the help they need despite these three telling them they should. All donations are currently sent to their Foundation and the Foundation currently has no set programs that address mental health. 

So, at the end of the day, I don't really understand the point of Heads Together and I don't understand why no one behind these three thought about how this would affect those people that actually have mental health issues. 
Suzy

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2017, 05:43:44 PM »

Of course they cannot discuss the NHS and I think Harry was right in answering that they should not go into political discussions (at least not now) but the rest was a cheap excuse and I guess that's why he suddenly didn't sound very confident anymore. Not thinking of the consequences if this campaign has even just average success is very bad planning and makes them looks shallow and their office as unprepared as always IMO. It's a nice idea but not thought through and I fear it will be more damaging in the end than it will help. And his "things will change, I'm sure" is ignorant at best.

It's also a strange decision to not use this attention to get donations or other kinds of support for the various charities via HT. It's a great opportunity missed because the only brand constantly in the media is HT. Other charities are barely mentioned and if they are, they cannot handle what follows. Harry even encouraged the runners to wear the headband no matter what charity they run for. How is this helping anyone but the trio's PR and their Diana memory year?

@rosella and identitycrisis: Thanks for the info. That was the one I thought of. It's so very sad. I don't know if in his case it's "just" about the one hospital but judging by a lot of recent stories this seems to be a general problem.
@Antevorta: It's amazing that they could do it so wrong with the experts they could call and the decades of experience of their family.

Witchell: Clearly a greater share of royal burden will fall on you and as that happens you will grasp it willingly?
Will: Absolutely willingly. And as that time comes I'll be the first person to put my hand up and take it on. But [] my grandfather is so active [] and unwilling to slow down.
Hibou

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2017, 06:13:22 PM »

Of course they cannot discuss the NHS and I think Harry was right in answering that they should not go into political discussions (at least not now) but the rest was a cheap excuse and I guess that's why he suddenly didn't sound very confident anymore. Not thinking of the consequences if this campaign has even just average success is very bad planning and makes them looks shallow and their office as unprepared as always IMO. It's a nice idea but not thought through and I fear it will be more damaging in the end than it will help. And his "things will change, I'm sure" is ignorant at best.

It's also a strange decision to not use this attention to get donations or other kinds of support for the various charities via HT. It's a great opportunity missed because the only brand constantly in the media is HT. Other charities are barely mentioned and if they are, they cannot handle what follows. Harry even encouraged the runners to wear the headband no matter what charity they run for. How is this helping anyone but the trio's PR and their Diana memory year?

@rosella and identitycrisis: Thanks for the info. That was the one I thought of. It's so very sad. I don't know if in his case it's "just" about the one hospital but judging by a lot of recent stories this seems to be a general problem.
@Antevorta: It's amazing that they could do it so wrong with the experts they could call and the decades of experience of their family.

Sadly you are right. It does seem that they start something and then there's nothing beyond it with life-changing substance to help others. While getting someone to counseling is important, but as pointed out by other posters, there are deeper underlying issues with the mental health system in the UK that needs to be addressed. Perhaps by shining a spotlight on the issue of mental health it will help to bring out into the open what is wrong with the system. One of the things that I admire about Charles is that he isn't afraid to get political if he thinks it will help people. I'm not criticizing Harry for side-stepping because we don't know what's going on behind the scenes as far as the politics is concerned. But, this organization could shine a very bright light on the problems in order to get them corrected without being political. Diana did this with Aids and raised a lot of money so people could get treatments. IMO they need to take pages from both parents in order to really facilitate change. This is however, a very good and important step for mental health, now if they can only follow through. I hope Harry will as he has with the Invictus games. JMO
loubna

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2017, 06:26:57 PM »

I think this cause surpasses harry (and the two others), he doesn't have the skills to bring more than a presence from time to time
AddiesGirl

Warned
Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2017, 06:35:16 PM »

I think this cause surpasses harry (and the two others), he doesn't have the skills to bring more than a presence from time to time

ITA, not one of them has the gravitas that this issue deserves and demands. Harry is the only one that comes close to being able to pull it off, and that's only because of his army experience, which wasn't the experience of the average soldier so is of limited value. JMO
Suzy

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2017, 08:23:58 PM »

ITA, not one of them has the gravitas that this issue deserves and demands. Harry is the only one that comes close to being able to pull it off, and that's only because of his army experience, which wasn't the experience of the average soldier so is of limited value. JMO

His solo projects are much better. I remember shortly before the first IG when he published a statement asking for support and explaining that it's not about the military or what it stands for but about the people who got injured and are looking for a way to get on with their lives. This was just perfect and well thought out because it addressed people outside the military with very different opinions.

I do get the idea of joined campaign this year to honour their mother but if you let a halfway decent horse, a lame horse acting silly and a bored horse insisting to lead the team pull a very heavy carriage, it won't work. Not to mention that the coachman obviously has not clue where to go.  Whistle

Witchell: Clearly a greater share of royal burden will fall on you and as that happens you will grasp it willingly?
Will: Absolutely willingly. And as that time comes I'll be the first person to put my hand up and take it on. But [] my grandfather is so active [] and unwilling to slow down.
gudgeon

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2017, 12:16:20 AM »

^^^ I honestly wish he would just go his own way - his own causes and his own charity (like the DoE Awards or PoW Trust) and his own PR team. Get AWAY from those other two and break free! Run free, little Harry, run freeeee! Sorry, I had to get that off my chest     Secret

I agree with Hibou, because I do think it's important to bring awareness to good causes even if there isn't a 100% perfect system to handle the problem. This is the way causes get funding - through more awareness. And, maybe/hopefully this will make it easier for people to lobby their representatives/politicians to allocate more funding to mental health/therapists/MH doctors/research/etc. I also think having Harry - a man and veteran - speaking about this is great because men and soldiers are socialized/trained to be tough and not talk about emotions so hopefully he can be an inspiration to others, even if he (HeadsTogether) isn't solving every part of the complicated puzzle.

I also think that normalizing talking about depression, anxiety, PTSD, grief, etc. (i.e. mental health issues that almost everyone deals with on some level or at some point) can only help. Maybe someone will feel more comfortable opening up to a family member or their PCP or talking about it online or at the veterans hospital - or just not feeling so alone and ashamed. Of course, people with more severe issues need more robust resources/care/help, but things have to start somewhere.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 12:21:41 AM by gudgeon » Logged

My adventures in baking: http://bakedtoorder.blogspot.com/ 
Margaret

Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2017, 02:17:32 AM »

Sadly you are right. It does seem that they start something and then there's nothing beyond it with life-changing substance to help others. While getting someone to counseling is important, but as pointed out by other posters, there are deeper underlying issues with the mental health system in the UK that needs to be addressed. Perhaps by shining a spotlight on the issue of mental health it will help to bring out into the open what is wrong with the system. One of the things that I admire about Charles is that he isn't afraid to get political if he thinks it will help people. I'm not criticizing Harry for side-stepping because we don't know what's going on behind the scenes as far as the politics is concerned. But, this organization could shine a very bright light on the problems in order to get them corrected without being political. Diana did this with Aids and raised a lot of money so people could get treatments. IMO they need to take pages from both parents in order to really facilitate change. This is however, a very good and important step for mental health, now if they can only follow through. I hope Harry will as he has with the Invictus games. JMO

I think this very issue highlights the limits you face when having royals as your figureheads and spokesmen.  If the spokesmen interviewed by Hunt had been someone other than a royal,  he could have gone on to talk about political issues.  As it is, Harry skirted it, as he had to.  Perhaps there was a way he could have addressed the issue without being party political though.   Australia has it's very successful beyondblue , which was established in October 2000.  beyondblue "initially focused on raising awareness of depression and reducing the associated stigma.  As our knowledge and impact on people's lives broadened, through research and community engagement, we added the key issue of anxiety conditions in 2011 and, more recently, suicide prevention to our core purpose."  beyondblue works with all tiers of government and the health sector, corporate and community partners, and with the media.  Since its inception is has been headed by former Victorian Premier Jeff Kennett, and from July this year it will be headed by former Prime Minister Julia Gillard.  In a recent press release, Beyond Blue said:

"beyondblue’s work is motivated by something bigger than politics; it’s about a bipartisan commitment to enhancing the welfare of others and that is an extraordinarily powerful force.

“Nobody owns beyondblue. It is owned by the community, in particular those living with mental health conditions, their families, friends and colleagues.”

Perhaps a speaker more skilled than Harry, or even Harry himself with the right coaching - I doubt William or Kate will ever be able to handle something as profound as this - could have said something similar without offending the "no politics" rule.

While I applaud the Wales boys and Kate for taking on this important cause, I think they might not have done as much research about the subject as they could, and that their role is bound to be a limited one.  They might well be working in conjunction with other charities and organisations with similar interests, and some which can take the step into the political arena that they, themselves, cannot.  But I think they ought to mention those other bodies and let them handle the sticky stuff that their gentle royal hands aren't allowed to touch.  As it is, what Harry is saying is that we want to get people talking about these issues and seeking help, but we are then going to leave them floundering because we can't do anything about what needs to happen next to actually get them help.

The independent Mental Health Taskforce to the NHS in England published a Five Year Forward View for Mental Health in February 2016. https://www.england.nhs.u...-Taskforce-FYFV-final.pdf  Perhaps the Wales trio is aware of that report, and perhaps this campaign is intended to encourage the introduction of the recommendations made by the taskforce.  But being prohibited from making political comments, they can't mention that.  Some of their associated charities should be able to talk about it though.   Maybe they are, but the emphasis at the moment seems to be on these three.

Incidentally it seems that the UK had an Early Access program  (UK Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT)) designed to get early treatment for people with mild to moderate depression and anxiety, and apparently that was very successful.  beyondblue took up that program and something similar was put in place in Australia.  I don't know what happened to IAPT in the UK.  Maybe it was dumped because of expense.  Maybe it's still working and we're just not being told about it.  

I get the feeling this is a flavour of the month thing for these three, and that they'll move on to something else before long.  Or they are just not getting the right PR advice, or advice generally.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 02:22:56 AM by Margaret » Logged
rosella

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2017, 05:30:26 AM »

According to the British Mental Heath charity 'Mind', they have been receiving 40% more calls each day since Harry's podcast/interview and a large number of callers are mentioning that interview as a reason for calling.

standard.co.uk/news/uk/katie-hopkins-faces-backlash-for-comments-about-prince-william-and-harrys-mental-health-campaigning-a3519016.html
Margaret

Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2017, 07:56:32 AM »

According to the British Mental Heath charity 'Mind', they have been receiving 40% more calls each day since Harry's podcast/interview and a large number of callers are mentioning that interview as a reason for calling.

standard.co.uk/news/uk/katie-hopkins-faces-backlash-for-comments-about-prince-william-and-harrys-mental-health-campaigning-a3519016.html

That seems like a good response. The message is getting through.  I hope the appropriate services will be provided for the people who need them.
Mary Stuart

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2017, 08:05:04 AM »

JMO
Sorry for the rant.

I think Harry had to be careful with the money questions. The way I interpreted the question was about NHS/ goverment services. Harry and the other royals can't get involved in politics and NHS funding is a very political issue. I don't think encouraging people to get help is dangerous at all. It isn't their fault if the government support isn't there.
Suzy

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2017, 01:05:40 PM »

That seems like a good response. The message is getting through.  I hope the appropriate services will be provided for the people who need them.

They knew it could be like that at least since Harry's HIV-test got such a great response. They knew the outcome could be massive but they didn't prepare for it. That's what IMO is wrong with this campaign. But I'm talking about an office that never managed to plan a really great royal tour for the future king and even angered the most sugary royal reporters despite a wedding, two cute kids and various royal tours to amazing countries. So my expectations are clearly way too high.  Crap

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 96   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: