Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wedding Guest Attire  (Read 1433 times)
Hermione

Big Member

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2017, 10:34:05 AM »

So --- My brother is getting married in August.

The first part will take place in the morning, the civil wedding (with just family), and then there will be a wedding ceremony in the afternoon followed by dinner and party.

Now, what do I wear? It's a summer wedding and I don't really want to wear dark colors, but I am terribly cautious about not wearing anything remotely white/beige/mint/light blue/rose to upstage the bride. I don't know her well and my brother would never forgive me if I showed up in anything that would pass a bridal dress.

I want two outfits, one for the morning, one for the afternoon. I looked around and last weekend, I ordered a dark blue dress with a matching jacket for the morning. Both had really cute buttons (I thought). I really wanted a two-piece outfit with a matching coat/jacket because sometimes it's still cold in the morning, even in summer. I think blue is an inoffensive color for a wedding - everyone likes blue (and it's dark and not light).

So I ordered the combo and then I went on RD to check the British royals at Easter service and almost got a heart attack. 14-year old Lady Louise was wearing exactly what I had ordered just hours before:

It's from Hobbs London, a British brand. The matching dress has short sleeves and also three buttons at the front:

The delivery arrived today and I tried both pieces on - I like them, they fit. Looks a bit conservative but that's fine with me.

BUT --- I am really concerned wearing something that a 14-year old chose (although this is a dress sold for women - not for girls or teenagers). I am in love with the buttons, but do they look too "childish"? And more importantly - they are white !! Are white buttons ok?

I am still undecided whether to keep the things. If I were, what color would you recommend for shoes and bag?

Thanks  Wink

PS: Still looking for a dress for the evening.

Mary Stuart

Medium Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 10:49:42 AM »

IMO, the dress is fine. I like the buttons. I don't think they are childish, they are youthful. White buttons are fine.

Whenever I wear navy (in spring and summer), I like to use bright accessories: coral, bright green, orange or hot pink. 
Hermione

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 10:59:18 AM »

Thank you  Star
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 11:20:53 AM »

I agree, it is not childish, it is youthfull!

By coincidence I have a wedding party today, of some (sport) friends. In general I go through my closet first to check if I have already clothing which will be suitable. If have nothing suitable I am trying to find things in shops (I like to try on and try out, therefore prefer going to the shops before ordering on internet). A few years ago I came across a beautiful ruby red dress with ruffles and some white lining. As it was for a winter wedding and it had bare arms, the shoplady helped me with a powder pink jacket to combine with it. As I since then have worn the ensamble only 2 or 3 times I am planning to wear it again. The bride and some others already are familiar with it, but none of us are bothered Wink Smiley

The hardest part was to find and get some good nylons to go with the dress. Just like last time I got three pairs, as I know myself and destroying nylons on the last minute (ladders and so on) Smiley Wink

When my siblings married I have worn the same outfit for the whole day, no changing. But I assume it can differ between countries and even social- economical levels. As for example a cousin of my described the required sort of outfit (for the evening party) in the invitation. Which resulted by the way in my mother calling me a little stressed to asked what the description (= French terms) ment.
Hermione

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 11:46:43 AM »

Thanks Principessa  Star

The clothing change is not required but I don't think I want to don evening wear for a civil wedding at 10 in the morning, so I decided I will change. Nylons is definitely something I need to look for as well !!
onar

Large Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 11:49:11 AM »

I don't think it's childish because there are only 3 buttons and the dress itself is clearly not for a teenager. I suppose you'll wear heels, plus hair and makeup so you'll be fine with a touch of spring aka the daisies.
For the evening dress I would suggest a magenta coloured dress but I read again your post and maybe dark blue and magenta are too much for August - in my oponion of course.
Although, I do believe that if dark blue in the summer works for your skintone, probably magenta will do the job as well. Considering also a rich orange toned dress or a khaki/olive one.

As for accessories,
1. with the blue outfit, maybe something not exactly nude but light pink? If you wear yellow, then it probably will go to the "childish" direction and beige nude is boring now that everyone wears it.
2. in the evening ceremony you could go with bold gold accessories, it will be summer after all.

Many wishes for your brother's wedding.

onar

Large Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 12:07:21 PM »

Some pics (since I have work to do and I avoid it in any way possible)

And I would definitely do a high updo in my hair and I would wear long earrings!

Kaiserin

Big Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 01:08:09 PM »

Dear Hermione,

Iím with the others in saying that the Hobbs dress with itís matching jacket is not childish, especially when worn by a grown woman with other accessories than Louise had.
The combo will look totally different with heels.

That said, I would think that accessories in RED will do the job best. The color-combo of navy with red and white is timeless, and because of itís ďsailingĒ-hint, itís also summery enough.

So some red court shoes and a red saddle bag would be my proposal. Donít know what your budget is, but I treated myself with this Ralph Lauren Saddle Bag and
I love it, as itís the icing on a lot of outfits:

If you find bright red too much, try sth with mixed Colors:

With this, shoes might be navy as well, or navy with some white details.

For the evening, I would chose a flowery, floating MidiDress Ė best with a print which repeats the red, so you can use same handbag & shoes.
This one is from OUI, it's base color is navy, so it would even go with the Hobbs jacket, if need be:

Wishing you good luck for your shopping spree!
Hermione

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 02:46:45 PM »

onar and Kaiserin, thank you so much  Star!! Your were saying exactly what I had in mind for the evening dress: go into the direction of magenta or something flowery with red, definately floating and midi. And I do want to use the same shoes and bag  Lolipop
onar

Large Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 03:17:31 PM »

Glad I helped! Beer

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 06:00:23 PM »

Thanks Principessa  Star

The clothing change is not required but I don't think I want to don evening wear for a civil wedding at 10 in the morning, so I decided I will change. Nylons is definitely something I need to look for as well !!

The wedding ceremony (only civil) was this afternoon. Fortunately for us, as we were late (couldn't find the place), the ceremony was delayed because of an car accident not far away. One of the bridal witnesses and some other guest got stuck in the traffic jam, so we had to wait for them. In comparison to some other guests, I felt a bit overdressed. But we will see what the evening party will bring Wink Smiley

Another advice, bring some essential items along which can help you through a long day. For example some tissues, extra nylons and so on. Or as I know one of today's female day guest is doing: she had some flat shoes/ballerinas with her, to switch from the heels. As the last can hurt after a long day of running around and so.
lothwen

Warned
Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 10:43:53 PM »

Dear Hermione,

Iím with the others in saying that the Hobbs dress with itís matching jacket is not childish, especially when worn by a grown woman with other accessories than Louise had.
The combo will look totally different with heels.

That said, I would think that accessories in RED will do the job best. The color-combo of navy with red and white is timeless, and because of itís ďsailingĒ-hint, itís also summery enough.

So some red court shoes and a red saddle bag would be my proposal. Donít know what your budget is, but I treated myself with this Ralph Lauren Saddle Bag and
I love it, as itís the icing on a lot of outfits:

If you find bright red too much, try sth with mixed Colors:

With this, shoes might be navy as well, or navy with some white details.

For the evening, I would chose a flowery, floating MidiDress Ė best with a print which repeats the red, so you can use same handbag & shoes.
This one is from OUI, it's base color is navy, so it would even go with the Hobbs jacket, if need be:

Wishing you good luck for your shopping spree!

I love that dress, such a fun pattern for the summer, but still pretty for a wedding. 

Hubby and I may be going to a wedding in September.  We live in Northern California,  so it will probably be in the 80s, weather wise. The wedding will most likely be outside,  and as it's the second marriage for both, it will probably be fairly casual.  My only concern is I'll be roughly 30 weeks pregnant,  and if this pregnancy is anything like my last, I'll be flipping HUGE, and have massive swollen feet.

Kaiserin

Big Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 11:42:07 PM »

lothwen,

if you like the pattern and style of this OUI-dress, but will need it in progressed maternity size -
Pinkblush Maternity has something similar ... only that it is a maxidress, which will also discreetly solve your your swollen feet prob ... because no one will mind you, especially if it's in summer and casual, wearing some fine flat flip-flops with this dress:

And if the temperatures go down in the evening, just have a pashmina available instead of a jacket.
periwinkle

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 12:20:01 AM »

Congratulations on your brother's wedding that is special for the family. I realize I will probably be alone in this opinion but except if you're going to wear a big billowy dress I have given up on thinking anyone could upstage the bride at a wedding. I know white is taboo but not if it's just a separate like a jacket or a skirt. I have been to many weddings and my brother's to a woman of middle eastern heritage was the one that got me thinking if a posse of women in low cut black and silver dresses with their big hair and jewels can be seen as culturally appropriate and I agree by the way then what does it matter if a young girl or middle aged woman comes to the party with a white shift dress under a navy jacket with a floral scarf I mean really it is not going to upstage the bride no way no how. And if she has to take off the jacket because it gets hot then so what. The bride will always be the center of attention. I've been talking with my friends about this and we're all fat and old and judgmental and letting go of all these rules that younger women hang onto.
ortensia

Huge Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 01:38:56 PM »

dear hermione, i can't suggest you anything but one thing: let your personality prevail.
you can't go wrong if you do so.

as for "upstaging the bride". well,it's not impossible because,even with your best intentions and having carefully avoided white- black -sexy etc if the bride is a bearded clam (as we italian coldheartedly but objectively describe this kind of female) then you can go dressed with rags and with your most meek attitude but you will steal her thunder nonetheless!!!!!

Beer ciao girls,have a nice saturday. and kisses!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: