Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Infanta Sofia's First Communion. May, 2017  (Read 7506 times)
Clara
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« on: April 22, 2017, 09:05:55 PM »

This year is Sofia's first communion. Like her sister Leonor she'll do it with her classmates in her school uniform, at a local church in Aravaca (the Madrid town where their school is located). There are reports that say on May 17th (when I also celebrated mine!!  Grin)

periwinkle

Large Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 12:25:46 AM »

It is nice that she is doing this with her classmates which makes it special without single-ing her out but I must say it is nice the way the Danes do it with a private ceremony. I don't know how Joachim's sons really feel about that personally but it is nice as an outsider looking in to see the family photos and know that such an important milestone in a young Christian's life is given such gravitas.
Nuno

Humongous Member

Portugal Portugal

TM The King and Queen of Spain

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 07:32:00 PM »

The ceremony is going to be really similar to Leonor's. The family is going to sit in the church following the alphabetical order - so no privilege for Sofia  Thumb up (same with Leo).
Please Leti, if you're reading us, don't wear your plastic sandals again  Huh? Thanks
I like the fact that they do it with their classmates - it's a special day and it's so much better when you're with your friends  Yes So much better than a private ceremony at La Zarzuela. I remember being so nervous and I was even called to read a passage of the bible, to make things worse 

"You can call me Happiness...yes Queen Happiness. It sounds great!" - Queen Letizia, Red Cross 150th Anniversary Wink

"Hey Cristina, I'm the Queen now :D"
Clara
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 10:16:53 PM »

It is nice that she is doing this with her classmates which makes it special without single-ing her out but I must say it is nice the way the Danes do it with a private ceremony. I don't know how Joachim's sons really feel about that personally but it is nice as an outsider looking in to see the family photos and know that such an important milestone in a young Christian's life is given such gravitas.

In Spain it's very rare for a child to celebrate a first communion alone. I know two cases and in both it was difficult for the parents to find a church that would let them celebrate it on their own (they already had priests available, a family member and a friend, respectively). If the children don't do it with their regular school classmates they do it with their Sunday school classmates in their local parish. I imagine that the people involved try to infuse the sacrament with all the importance possible considering they are 10 year old children.

From what I've read here from our Danish posters usually confirmations are also class events and the Danish princes did it on their own because of their royal status. I actually think this is indicative of the two families, in one, the heir to the throne celebrates her communion like another member of her class, and in the other the 8th in line receives a royal confirmation, consistent with Joachim's insistence that his kids be addressed as princes in kindergarten iirc.

lula

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 03:09:19 PM »

Royal House has officially announced that the First Communion of the Infanta Sofía will be on Wednesday the 17th at 12 in the church the Assumption of Our Lady of Aravaca, with her schoolmates.

http://www.hola.com/reale...a-comunion-infanta-sofia/
Laprincess

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 03:26:15 PM »

Letizia has no act this week and Felipe has no act until Thursday. It's curious. Do they need to prepare for the ceremony/party or is the family out of town on a weekend get-away?  Thinking
Nuno

Humongous Member

Portugal Portugal

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 04:32:26 PM »

Letizia has no act this week and Felipe has no act until Thursday. It's curious. Do they need to prepare for the ceremony/party or is the family out of town on a weekend get-away?  Thinking
I remember when Leo celebrated her first communion, F&L were seen arriving to the school the day before, weren't day?

ETA: It wasn't the day before, but some days before  Smiley

"You can call me Happiness...yes Queen Happiness. It sounds great!" - Queen Letizia, Red Cross 150th Anniversary Wink

Laprincess

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 06:09:37 PM »

I remember when Leo celebrated her first communion, F&L were seen arriving to the school the day before, weren't day?

Yes, it's for Leonor's first confession. But according to reports, Sofia's confession occurred in March.

P. S. I'm not Catholic nor religious so I find having a 10-year-old make a confession  Blink
Zazoo

Mini Member

Cyprus Cyprus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 08:44:01 PM »

Yes, it's for Leonor's first confession. But according to reports, Sofia's confession occurred in March.

P. S. I'm not Catholic nor religious so I find having a 10-year-old make a confession  Blink

I went to franciscan monks and sisters catholic school is not uncommon for such schools to do such a thing (aren't their school under some order no? ) , I was practically obligated to confess once a year usually before easter  Roll Eyes, seen then I never conference again and practically I lost  the sense of it 

"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." ? Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Nuno

Humongous Member

Portugal Portugal

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 08:48:29 PM »

I did it myself. Some days before the first communion you make a confession  Wink I remember I hadn't nothing important to say when I was 10  and it always funny to hear what kids say to the priest 

Amalia

Micro Member

Brazil Brazil

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 09:10:03 PM »

I did it myself. Some days before the first communion you make a confession  Wink I remember I hadn't nothing important to say when I was 10  and it always funny to hear what kids say to the priest 

"I disrespected my mother, I lied to the teacher about my homework, I fought with my brother ..." Halo
I still remember vividly my first confession and how nervous I was of forgetting the Act of Contrition.
Zazoo

Mini Member

Cyprus Cyprus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 09:26:06 PM »

"I disrespected my mother, I lied to the teacher about my homework, I fought with my brother ..." Halo
I still remember vividly my first confession and how nervous I was of forgetting the Act of Contrition.

I remember it too, actually I was saying similar things!  Smiley I remember discussing with the other kids of what we should say and what they said etc   

"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." ? Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Clara
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 05:21:52 PM »

Yeah, like everyone else here I didn't have any real thing to confess, so I ended up "sinning" by lying to the priest 

Supposedly you can't receive communion before confessing, that's why usually the first confession takes place a little before the first communion.

I agree it's curious, but it imo it must be a coincidence (Felipe preparing his Jordan trip etc...). On Monday it was a holiday in Madrid, but the girls have school today and Sofia has to get ready with her classmates for her communion tomorrow.

Nuno

Humongous Member

Portugal Portugal

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 11:13:08 PM »

They're back to work  F&L hosted a meeting of the Princess of Girona Foundation today  Thumb up

lula

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 11:54:44 AM »

@alexandropress

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: