Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Patricia, Countess Mountbatten of Burma Dies at 93  (Read 8846 times)
MidnightDiamond

Humongous Member

Ignore
« on: June 15, 2017, 12:24:36 AM »

http://www.dailymail.co.u...ntbatten-dies-age-93.html

She died 13th June 2017.

Norton and Penny are now Earl & Countess Mountbatten of Burma.

Lady Alice

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 01:00:49 AM »

Rest in peace.

Tinika

Big Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 05:50:57 PM »

A lot of history has passed away with her.  A long and rich life but one deeply marked by tragedy.
genegal43

Gigantic Member

All I got was a Nancy Pearl Action Figure...

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 10:38:03 PM »

A lot of history has passed away with her.  A long and rich life but one deeply marked by tragedy.

I do a lot of genealogy and when someone dies it's like burning a book because they take their knowledge with them when they die.   Cry Cry

Genealogy: shrinking the world one person at a time!
Lady Alice

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 11:17:54 PM »

I'm surprised that her death hasn't engendered more responses here, given her role in relation to the BRF (Phil's close cousin and Charles' godmother, tho' not an actual member of the BRF) and her own interesting life. She was part of the inner circle, but never flaunted or betrayed it, always behaving with decorum and in the background - unlike her own flamboyant father.

Just think: there was a project in the works to inflict Charles on her daughter Amanda. It's one of those "ifs" of history - a minor "if," but an interesting one.

jigmesjigga

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 03:17:22 PM »

There's this 2013 interview with Patricia and Pamela from Vanity Fair http://www.vanityfair.com...scoing-mountbatten-memoir. This was right around the time Pamela released her book, Daughter of Empire. I was surprised that they were so open about their parents' affairs. They talked about their mother Edwina's affair with Lt-Col Harold Phillips who was the father of the current Duchess of Abercorn as well as the wife of the late Duke of Westminster, mother of the current one - Alexandra and Natalia. Now, in another book I read on Kindle called just Mountbatten, there was quite a lot about Earl Mountbatten's affair with Alexandra Duchess of Abercorn, which is amazingly incestuous in a very roundabout way. Of course, I also think Prince Philip has probably been accused of affairs with most of these ladies as well. Cousins/lovers/BFFs.

I doubt Patricia was involved in shenanigans. She seemed like quite a no nonsense lady. Pamela is more the seeker of glitz. Patricia was all business. Her son, the new Earl, seems a bit of a boob. Is he still playing away from home? His wife, Penny, basically runs the estate.
Olya

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 03:41:02 PM »

There's this 2013 interview with Patricia and Pamela from Vanity Fair http://www.vanityfair.com...scoing-mountbatten-memoir. This was right around the time Pamela released her book, Daughter of Empire. I was surprised that they were so open about their parents' affairs. They talked about their mother Edwina's affair with Lt-Col Harold Phillips who was the father of the current Duchess of Abercorn as well as the wife of the late Duke of Westminster, mother of the current one - Alexandra and Natalia. Now, in another book I read on Kindle called just Mountbatten, there was quite a lot about Earl Mountbatten's affair with Alexandra Duchess of Abercorn, which is amazingly incestuous in a very roundabout way. Of course, I also think Prince Philip has probably been accused of affairs with most of these ladies as well. Cousins/lovers/BFFs.

I doubt Patricia was involved in shenanigans. She seemed like quite a no nonsense lady. Pamela is more the seeker of glitz. Patricia was all business. Her son, the new Earl, seems a bit of a boob. Is he still playing away from home? His wife, Penny, basically runs the estate.

Interesting. It's such a jumble of who with whom with these people.
She really had a long and very eventful life, hats off to her for dealing with it all and staying sane.
Lady Alice

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 06:49:33 PM »

IIRC, I believe his heir Nicholas is (was?) a total mess. He was to have cleaned up and was to marry his nurse (?) but he's still unmarried, and has been quiet other than attending his sister's wedding last year. That will probably change with Patricia's death - the tabs will be all over him.

And yeah, Norton seems to be a turd. Poor Penny.

Dickie must be spinning in his grave.

AutumnOpal

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 03:00:31 AM »

Yeah I think most people are more familiar with Patricia than Pamela, she's done more interviews and the like. I could recognize Patricia from a mile away but only knew who Pamela was in that 90th Birthday special because she was sitting next to Patricia.
Princess BlueEyes

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 05:38:52 AM »

I'm surprised that her death hasn't engendered more responses here, given her role in relation to the BRF (Phil's close cousin and Charles' godmother, tho' not an actual member of the BRF) and her own interesting life. She was part of the inner circle, but never flaunted or betrayed it, always behaving with decorum and in the background - unlike her own flamboyant father.

Just think: there was a project in the works to inflict Charles on her daughter Amanda. It's one of those "ifs" of history - a minor "if," but an interesting one.

Well, she was sort of a member of the British royal family as she was Queen Elizabeth's third cousin.
Her father was Louis Mountbatten who was the son of
Princess Victoria of Hesse and by Rhine who was the daughter of
Princess Alice of the United Kingdom daughter of Queen Victoria and Albert.

Which also means that Patricia was related to many royal families of Europe.

esther angeline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 07:03:46 AM »

When and where is the funeral?
Lady Alice

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 02:24:39 PM »

Well, she was sort of a member of the British royal family as she was Queen Elizabeth's third cousin.
Her father was Louis Mountbatten who was the son of
Princess Victoria of Hesse and by Rhine who was the daughter of
Princess Alice of the United Kingdom daughter of Queen Victoria and Albert.

Which also means that Patricia was related to many royal families of Europe.

I know all that - and closer to the BRF home, she was Phil's first cousin - which is why I'm surprised her death isn't garnering more attention.

Jonathan

Gigantic Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Life's hard being fabulous

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 02:41:48 PM »

Because terrible events are taking place in the UK. The nation is stunned by children being blown to death in Manchester, children  burning to death, people being mowed down on Westminster Bridge, London Bridge and today horrifically innocent people observing their faith.  

The life of an incredible privileged woman who lived to 93 who admittedly experienced horrors in her own life doesn't register on the British peoples radar.

I think we all know that in a country of 65 ish million people her death wouldn't carry much weight.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 03:08:28 PM by Jonathan » Logged

Advice to my Brother on his wedding day

Never say

I know you do
I've had better
Did you say something
Lady Alice

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 07:32:17 PM »

I'm sorry, Jonathan, I don't mean it that way. My apologies. Of course in the public arena there are FAR more important things going on in the UK and the world.

I was thinking more in the circles of BRF general discussion (such as venues like here)/academic interest. It's been interesting to watch the lukewarm reaction. Dickie must be spinning.

Margaret

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 01:38:25 AM »

I'm sorry, Jonathan, I don't mean it that way. My apologies. Of course in the public arena there are FAR more important things going on in the UK and the world.

I was thinking more in the circles of BRF general discussion (such as venues like here)/academic interest. It's been interesting to watch the lukewarm reaction. Dickie must be spinning.

I agree; the lack of attention is, of itself, interesting. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: