Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: eye color  (Read 11736 times)
rosella
Banned
Banned
Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 05:51:28 AM »

My husband has hazel eyes with green specks. His father's eyes were blue and his mother's dark brown. Two of his sisters have pale blue eyes, the other dark brown. His brother has dark blue eyes. It's a fallacy, I think, that dark brown eyes inevitably swamps all other eye colours, though it has happened with my dark eyed daughter and her children. There's been some discussions over the years on other forums about Prince George's dark brown eye colour. Some are convinced that a blue-eyed man and green eyed woman couldn't produce a brown eyed baby. Not true. Nature produces some interesting variations.
Ellie

Muted
Ginormous Member

proud moron thx Scooby Doo

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 05:54:32 AM »

I always thought I had brown eyes, but I have hazel--I have a lot of green, with a dark forest green ring around the outside, whereas the middle is a sort of rusty brown with gold flecks. I just looked in my phone camera.  Laugh bounce It's become more and more pronounced as I've gotten older. My mom has very light blue eyes, and my dad has brown.

My husband has hazel eyes, but of the green-grey variety. Our son has eyes somewhere between the both of us though had blue eyes til he was over two.

Re: Prince George I'd say Kate has hazel eyes. Pippa's are brown, aren't they? George seems to take after that side, especially.

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2017, 05:11:41 PM »

We have joked in the past that my maternal family contains some of the 7 beauties with regard to eye (and hair) color. As dark hair with light colored eyes and blond hair with dark eyes were considered to be part of it (as we thought). As my grandfather had blond hair with brown eyes, while my grandmother had dark (brown) hair with blue eyes. Their six children, among others my mother, all had a combo of these eye and hair colors. For example similar to my grandparents, or blond with blue eyes and brown hair with brown eyes.

I have often said I preferred guys with dark colored hair and light colored eyes. After having a good look at my dad, I discovered I complied with the rule that girls are looking for someone similar to their dad  As my dad had very dark brown/black hair (he is grey now) with grey eyes.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2017, 06:00:37 PM »

The most general belief is that eye colour is a solid color. Like painting a dolls eyes either blue, green or brown. Eye colour however isn't solid. It depends on the amount of pigments in the various layers of the eyes. What usually is inherited is the tendency to produce a certain amount of pigments and the distribution of where those pigments are. Basically hardly any pigments at all: blue (which is why many caucasian babies who are born without pigments are born with the so-called baby blues) Total pigmentation means very dark brown to almost black eyes. Depending on how many layers are filled with pigments the colours appear green, grey, darker blue, blue to green, green to brown...

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Zazoo

Small Member

Cyprus Cyprus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2017, 05:13:24 PM »

I wanted to ask help especially from the Italian posters! It might sound silly but I want to apply for a "residenza" and I was discussing with my italian friends about my eye color which is hasel ( they have a light brown center with some yellow spots ,they are green in the middle with an outer circle that seems to be grey or brown) and we couldn't found a word that can describe them they are not nocciola (which is the translation of hasel in italian)as the are not so brownish but they are not either ambra! as I have to disclose my eye color for the id application  I wanted help with the terminology! Thank you in advance!

"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." ? Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Tatini

Gigantic Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2017, 05:54:53 PM »

My dear friend, I think that the word you are looking for is "occhi castani". This has very little to do with the real shade of your eye color, and more to do with Italian bureaucracy... When your eyes are brown(ish)/hazel, you usually use "castani" on documents such as application forms or ids. For example, I have blue eyes, and the expression "occhi azzurri", which is very common, has been rejected as "too poetic"   , so I had to use "occhi celesti" on my id. card and passport instead.  
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 06:03:05 PM by Tatini » Logged
Suzerain
Banned
Warned
Humongous Member

Heard Island and McDonald Islands Heard Island and McDonald Islands

Did you know some snakes have retractable fangs?

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2017, 06:01:05 PM »

We have joked in the past that my maternal family contains some of the 7 beauties with regard to eye (and hair) color. As dark hair with light colored eyes and blond hair with dark eyes were considered to be part of it (as we thought). As my grandfather had blond hair with brown eyes, while my grandmother had dark (brown) hair with blue eyes. Their six children, among others my mother, all had a combo of these eye and hair colors. For example similar to my grandparents, or blond with blue eyes and brown hair with brown eyes.

I have often said I preferred guys with dark colored hair and light colored eyes. After having a good look at my dad, I discovered I complied with the rule that girls are looking for someone similar to their dad  As my dad had very dark brown/black hair (he is grey now) with grey eyes.

This sounds intriguing. What are the "7 beauties"? I don't think I've ever heard of it.

Zazoo

Small Member

Cyprus Cyprus

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2017, 06:02:37 PM »

My dear friend, I think that the word you are looking for is "occhi castani". This has very little to do with the real shade of your eye color, and more to do with Italian bureaucracy... When your eyes are brown(ish)/hazel, you usually use "castani" on documents such as application forms or ids. For instance, I have blue eyes, and in some instances the expression "occhi azzurri", which is very common, was rejected as "too poetic"  , so I had to use "occhi celesti" instead. 
Thank you very much!! Hug  i was stange that they ask for my eye and hair color in Cypriot id are not necessary,moreover is such a strange thing their is not an exact word for hasel  considering that italian language is so rich

"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." ? Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2017, 06:10:53 PM »

This sounds intriguing. What are the "7 beauties"? I don't think I've ever heard of it.

In Dutch it is called the "7 schoonheden" (literally translated as the 7 beauties). I don't know them by heart, with excemption of dark hair & light eyes  and light hair & dark eyes combinations So I have looked them up

Apparently in the 17th century in France 7 beauty marks were listed, roughly:
1. dark hair & light eyes (or the other way around)
2. pale/fair skin tone
3. beauty mark / spot
4. long curled eye lashes
5. almond shaped eyes
6. freggles
7. dimples in the cheecks

Somewhere else I found a list in which they exchanged the pale skin for a (small) gap between the front teeth.

https://answers.yahoo.com...qid=20110627180232AAwPzkh
Rebecca

Warned
Small Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2017, 07:18:21 PM »

My 4 year old daughter has blue eyes, as do my husband and myself; but her left eye has a large vertical stripe of brown in it. Has anyone ever heard of this? It was very slight when she was younger, but is getting larger as she ages.
Zazoo

Small Member

Cyprus Cyprus

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2017, 08:05:28 PM »

My 4 year old daughter has blue eyes, as do my husband and myself; but her left eye has a large vertical stripe of brown in it. Has anyone ever heard of this? It was very slight when she was younger, but is getting larger as she ages.
Maybe heterocromia but I'm not an expert!

fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2017, 08:07:52 PM »

@ Rebecca: I am not an ophthalmologist, but as far as I know there are a couple of possibilities for this:
The most recent studies show that blue eyes come from a mutation of a gene responsible for melanin production in the eyes. According to the study the "genetic mutation affecting the OCA2 gene in our chromosomes resulted in the creation of a “switch”, which literally “turned off” the ability to produce brown eyes".
However this chromosome mutation does not always trigger a complete switch off, it simply limits the production of melanin in the iris and thus produces eye colors ranging from brown to blue. The extent of production or rather the mutation is genetically passed down the generations. It is possible that while you and your husband's melanin production is so low that your eyes are completely blue (though do look for "freckles" in the inner ring around the cornea) the combined chromosomes your daughter had her pick of might allow for some more brown.
In any case however I would certainly talk to the pediatrician about this, as brown spots can indicate medical problems such as liver diseases and you will want this checked. If your pediatrician is ignorant in this regard, get a referral to a ophthalmologist. Please do not be alarmed, those cases especially in children are extremely rare (when adults suddenly develop brown spots this is far more critical) but I simply know that with our little ones we do tend to check every freckle twice simply to be on the safe side and have peace of mind.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Kaiserin

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2017, 08:33:00 PM »

@Rebecca

Google "sectoral heterochromia", you'll find more specific info. It's rare in humans, more common for cats and dogs, and it has, as fairy said, to do with melanine production.
My eyes are green, and the rigth one has a small brown wedge as well.
perdie

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2017, 12:57:40 AM »

When Madeleine McCann disappeared, there was a big deal made out of the fact that she had that in one eye.  I believe the parents made a lot out of it against the advice of police, who thought that pointing out such a distinctive characteristic could put her in danger.
Rebecca

Warned
Small Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2017, 03:45:39 AM »

Thanks for the information Hug.. It had never occurred to me that it could indicate a medical problem, I have never asked her pediatrician about it. I have a very small brown streak in my left eye in the same place, so I just assumed that it was hereditary even though hers is significantly larger than mine. I googled the sectoral heterochromia and that is exactly what hers looks like. I don't know what she will think about it as she ages, but I think it is an interesting feature.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: