Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Olympics  (Read 904 times)
Duchess of Verona

Large Member

United States United States

Ignore
« on: September 30, 2017, 10:00:15 PM »

We are supposed to be having the Winter Olympics in 4 months and 10 days in Pyeong Chang  South Korea. I am wondering, with the high temperature of name calling and threats between Trump and Kim, will the IOC decide to relocate the games because of the proximity to N Korea. Vancouver has offered to host them at the last minute. There is also Calgary in Canada. In the US it's been twice each  at Lake Tahoe CA and Lake Placid NY, as well as Salt Lake City, site of the infamous pairs skating scandal. What I really hope does NOT happen is that Trump decides to boycott the Olympics like in Moscow in 1980. That was so unfair to the atheletes who have trained their whole life for that one moment in time. A lot of these sports it's unreasonable to expect them to be in the same place 4 years on, especially in a sport like figure skating where at 23 you are a granny.
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 01:03:53 AM »

The Olympic games were and should be apolitical. It's a shame that poltiticts can influence and are influencing this occassion. And I can easily imagine that there could something happen - show of strength on lunatic Kim's side - as so many dignitaries, and other countries are attending. And idiot Trump would not shut his mouth/tweet and step back to ensure the success of the Olympics.

It's a shame really isn't it.

Empress of Blandings

Baby Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 02:05:01 AM »

The Olympic games were and should be apolitical. It's a shame that poltiticts can influence and are influencing this occassion. And I can easily imagine that there could something happen - show of strength on lunatic Kim's side - as so many dignitaries, and other countries are attending. And idiot Trump would not shut his mouth/tweet and step back to ensure the success of the Olympics.

This board is supposed to be apolitical too.
Ellie

Warned
Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 03:02:27 AM »

I post on a figure skating forum. The general knowledge and consensus is the IOC will not move the Games, and so either it will go ahead as planned, most likely; or in worst circumstances, be canceled. No other real option. Vancouver stepped up to offer to host Sochi because of the LGBT laws and scandal surrounding it, as well as venues not being finished, but the IOC wouldn't hear of it. I imagine it would be the same with PyeongChang.
Duchess of Verona

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 03:13:25 AM »

Yes, I agree that the situation is quite delicate timing wise. I am the President of our local USFSA club and have a skater girl myself. I had an interesting conversation with Dick Button, who lives in the next town  last week on this subject.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 03:20:05 AM by Duchess of Verona » Logged
Duchess of Verona

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 03:14:43 AM »

ok
Ellie

Warned
Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 03:35:12 AM »

Yes, I agree that the situation is quite delicate timing wise. I am the President of our local USFSA club and have a skater girl myself. I had an interesting conversation with Dick Button, who lives in the next town  last week on this subject.

Oh? What did Dick say? I got to meet him in Boston at Worlds in 2016! (Maybe we post on the same skating  forum! I've been skating all my life and my kiddo skates now too.)

I can't imagine the IOC doing anything considering what a mess Rio was and they still held it. And all the protests going on about Sochi and how unprepared they were.
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 03:43:26 AM »

It wasn't a political statement, I call people out as I see them....politicians, famous people, royals, and others, so stop telling me what to say or not to say.

Another rule of the board is not to attack other peoples posts.

Empress of Blandings

Baby Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 04:15:45 AM »

My abject apologies. It was not intended as an attack but an observation and I'd like to emphasise I wouldn't dream of telling you (or anyone else) what you may or may not say. I'm not even certain how you arrived at that conclusion.

Back to the issue in question: The Winter Olympics. The US has announced they have opened up a line of communication with NK. I doubt the leader of either the US or NK really want all out warfare and China will do it's damdest (eventually) to prevent it. It's not in anybody's interests to blow the peninsula to Kingdom come, not even for Kim who needs to posture for his people, in front of the new American president. Even he backs off with his tail between his legs, he's got great news providers (Real News'r'Us) who'll report it a victory seeing off the ill-prepared and weak Americans and he's still king of the world, or however he presents himself.

Duchess of Verona

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 04:25:24 PM »

I wasnt really thinking to make it political thread. More in the lines of where do we think it might be held instead, should it need to be moved. Smiley
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 05:41:18 PM »

The problem is they shouldn't be moved. It's a great honor for a country to host it, and rightly so....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: