Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Olympics  (Read 2292 times)
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 04:35:14 AM »

I love the Olympics as well but I'm honestly not thrilled with its location this time around. Sorry not sorry but the dog meat trade/festivals disgust me on levels I can't even explain.

It's the most disgusting thing I've learned and looked into years ago, and it's not because people are starving and they have to turn to this, but because it supposedly brings luck. Korea is No. 1 dog meat trader, with Northern India right behind them.

Look what Russia did once it was decided to have the Winter Olympics there, they culled hundrets of stray dogs to make the Olympic village and neighbouring areas clean and more civilized. The biggest sign of protest would be for countries not to send their participants, but that's not going to happen....so everthing will stay the same.

To few people are outraged about that to change a nasty behaviour.

Maybe the spotlight on the country for the Olympics will help to raise awareness of this and maybe it will lead to a ban.  I won't hold my breath, but you never know.
Kaiserin

Big Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 10:18:19 PM »

In my opinion, Olympic Games were created for "the youth of the world to reunite in peaceful competition through sport".
That's all that it should be, nothing more and nothing less.
(Sadly, this honourable leitmotif has been compromised several times already in the past 122 years, either by hosting countries or by (non-)participating countries.)

I may disgust some of the traditions, practices, or politics of a hosting country, but in my opinion, the Games should not be compromised by boycott for political or general protest reasons. I do remember the two "big boycotts" in 1980 / 1984, during cold war, which, at the end of the day, were only sad for those participating, as they could not compete with ALL of their fellow discipline athletes, and for those kept home, who trained for nothing and were maybe already too old to compete in the next games. The political background/reason of the boycotts was pretty clear anyhow, and not sending athletes to LA/Moscow did in no way contribute to a change of the matter.

pixie is right that accompanying TV docu about the hosting country may raise awareness for certain issues, which is a good thing,
but I would not find it helpful for the cause (here the dog meat trading) to keep athletes at home for protest. It's imho just not the right forum / way to argue.
It would just kinda "punish" the athletes who train years for their ticket to compete, and save no single dogs' live anyway.

I wonder whether North Korea will again boykott these Games, as they did 1988 in Seoul already. Especially in these turbulent times, sending the North Korean team south would be a strong signal that sports has absolutely NO connection to politics, and that the Games are what their founder wanted them to be: peaceful reunion to compete in sports.
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 11:11:14 PM »

Generally, I agree with you about the athletes, but if a boykott is is something that can have big influence, I'm all for a it.

And it is nothing new:

1964 Australia was banned to attend the Olympics for sporting links with South Africa. The International Olympic Committee's refusal to ban New Zealand, whose rugby team is currently touring South Africa, has resulted in the boycott.

1964 South Africa has been banned from the Olympics for its refusal to condemn apartheid.

1980 Summer Olympics. 1980 Summer Olympics boycott: U.S. President Jimmy Carter issued a boycott of the games to protest the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, as the Games were held in Moscow, the capital of the Soviet Union. Many nations refused to participate in the Games.

1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles was boykotted, after the U.S.-led boycott of the 1980 Summer Olympics in Moscow. The boycott involved 14 Eastern Bloc countries and allies, led by the Soviet Union, which initiated the boycott on May 8, 1984.

It's already politicized, and really always has been. Especially after WWII.

Kaiserin

Big Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 12:17:10 AM »

Right, it is nothing new (sadly).

But did any of the above mentioned boycotts really had an influence on the political situation they were aimed at ?

Apartheid finally finished in 1992.
The Russians finally left Afghanistan in 1989.
Cold War ended 1991 (while I believe Moscow led boycott of 1984 LA was more or less "revenge" for 1980, not really for the causes they mentioned or the police controversy ...) - years, even decades after.

Such things are to be solved by diplomatic efforts or by economical measures (embargos) - by things which "hurt" the government / the state finances, or, as in ivory trade, dog meat etc., those individuals who earn on it.

I hope for peaceful Games in South Korea, uninfluenced by the political tension in the region, by religious beliefs or different ways of living/traditions.
Sports is something that can bring out the best in Nations, and that's what I love such Championships for.
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 01:12:45 AM »

^^ you are right nothing changed right after the boykott.....just because you make a statement, doesn't mean that something will change in an instant.

That doesn't happen in someone's personal life, in business, in certainly not in politics. I hardly ever have encountered a situation - especially in politics - where a statement would change somthing immediatelly. But that doesn't mean that one cannot stand up for something. Sometimes actions have to do with personal integrity, and a country's integrity.

Therefore, we have to agree to disagree one some points.

Ellie

Warned
Huge Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 10:12:13 PM »

And there is talk the IOC will ban Russia for competing due to not complying with drug testing and all the corruption that has been found out in the last year or two (unsurprisingly).
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 08:47:19 PM »

And there is talk the IOC will ban Russia for competing due to not complying with drug testing and all the corruption that has been found out in the last year or two (unsurprisingly).

Anybody who cheats should be banned.  That said, I'll be shocked if they actually do follow through with this.
Duchess of Verona

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Today at 02:26:33 AM »

It will be interesting if they do, that's for sure. Russia has had a domination in figure skating which is the single largest in international sports. For 12 straight Olympics, Russia won the gold in pairs skating. 7 of those gold medalists were trained by one coach, Tamara Moskvina. At 2 of those games, not only did she train the gold medalists, but also the silver medalists. Her former pairs partner Alexei Mishin is also a great coach, mostly for singles skaters. Urmanov,  Yagudin, Plushenko and Tuktemysheva were trained by him.
« Last Edit: Today at 02:34:39 AM by Duchess of Verona » Logged
Ellie

Warned
Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:43:48 AM »

It'll be interesting for sure considering the McLaren report wrongly suggested doping of Sotnikova (who should not have won in Sochi imo). A friend of mine who is a skater and an Olympian told me that the atmosphere at Sochi was awful. If you were not Russian they did not care. Booing, no support for non Russians.. Trrible crowds and really did a number on some of the athletes I think mentally. Medvedeva is a lock for the podium and perhaps gold but she's not a robot as she showed last week in Japan with falls (and overscoring).

No Russians won't happen I doubt. They won't comply with WADA standards but that's never stopped them or anyone else, the IOC will just let it slide.

Nice to see another skating fan (I skate and so does my kid!).
Duchess of Verona

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Today at 04:50:28 PM »

Oh, I'm the president of our local FS club. My daughter skated Intermediate last season and hopefully will move up to Novice for next year. She is in an all russian program. Both her coach and choreographer called Sotnikova before Sochi. There was more than a little 'home cooking' at that olympics.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: