Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Olympics  (Read 35452 times)
Thistle

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2018, 02:30:13 PM »

I'm so happy for Mirai!! She was totally robbed in the last Olympics, she earned her place fairly and they sent Ashley instead because she had more international experience. Whatever...

Go Mirai Banana Banana

Reading can seriously damage your ignorance
Ellie

Warned
Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2018, 11:13:02 AM »

Mirai had no official coach at the time either and was a hot mess for years. Ashley deserved the spot then.

USFS does stupid stuff, like making the menís silver medalist at Nationals this year the second alternate. That was a much bigger scandal, as it was known in advance they knew the team they wanted to send this year. So another sacrificial lamb but treated even worse than Mirai.

Mirai should be so proud of herself for that skate!
Duchess of Verona

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2018, 02:17:56 PM »

I'm so happy for Mirai!! She was totally robbed in the last Olympics, she earned her place fairly and they sent Ashley instead because she had more international experience. Whatever...

Go Mirai Banana Banana
Same thing they did this time with Ross Miner and Adam Rippon.
Ellie

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2018, 12:17:33 AM »

Go Mirai Banana Banana
Same thing they did this time with Ross Miner and Adam Rippon.

Ross being left off still makes me furious. He was the silver medalist! And then saying they didnít trust him to skate well in the Olympics to his face!
Duchess of Verona

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2018, 07:35:08 PM »

How great for Aliona Savchenko after 5 trips to the Olympics with 3 different partners, she finally won the gold. I wonder what her former partner, who now coaches Tarasova and Morozov, was thinking as he watched is former partner win and his students implode in the free skate.
lothwen

Warned
Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2018, 07:50:40 PM »

How great for Aliona Savchenko after 5 trips to the Olympics with 3 different partners, she finally won the gold. I wonder what her former partner, who now coaches Tarasova and Morozov, was thinking as he watched is former partner win and his students implode in the free skate.

That program made me cry! Even hubby got a bit misty-eyed
Thistle

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2018, 07:59:52 PM »

She finally got her gold medal!!  Banana Banana

Their routine was amazing!! And call me evil but I loved the Tarasova and Morozov implosion. Drama!!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 08:12:57 PM by Thistle » Logged

Reading can seriously damage your ignorance
Aubiette

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2018, 08:09:27 PM »

I cried right along with her. It was great! Very happy for them.
Barrie

Most Exalted Member

Canada Canada

Rufus loves Royal Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2018, 09:18:34 PM »

I watched the Canada vs USA women's hockey game. Holy cow was that intense and really nasty. I would be interested to watch the game if they were allowd to check. I love that they leave it all on the ice but sometimes they border on a total lack of respect.
Duchess of Verona

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2018, 03:45:56 AM »

OK, so DD's Russian born (former soviet  jr champion and  3 x world bronze medalist) but now American figure skating coach, who called the medals out at Sochi pretty damn close, is predicting Hanyu 1st and Fernandez 2nd, if Chen holds together 3rd. Much as he would like to cheer for the Russian, Kolyada is predicted by him  to collapse under pressure. Zagitova if she holds together, has it wrapped up. He described her as a monster jumper  who has a 9-10 point lead just on the jumps who at 15 doesnt have the feeling of  pressure like Medvedeva. Unless Carolina Costner is carried of the ice mid program, she's bronze. Now lets see what happens tonight!!!
Barrie

Most Exalted Member

Canada Canada

Rufus loves Royal Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2018, 05:20:50 AM »

I miss the old scoring system in figure skating. The era of the perfect 6.0
Paulina

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2018, 06:03:58 AM »

I do, too, Barrie. My favorite performance ever was Torvill and Deanís Bolero. Perfect 6es across the board. I actually never get tired of watching it over and over on YouTube.

My other favorite was Katerina Witt. She and Michelle Kwan had an ďitĒ that I havenít noticed as much since. And donít get me started on hunky Kurt Browning and those shiny pewter pants
lothwen

Warned
Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2018, 08:44:39 AM »

Personally,  I think it makes sense that different elements have  a higher point value. A double axel shouldn't be scored the same as a quad lunge.

*Full disclosure: I actually have NO idea what those mean  Grin
Duchess of Verona

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2018, 02:51:28 PM »

Today's trivia: Did you know where the 6.0 scoring system originated? The figure skating competition started the first day with tracing compulsory figures. You did the same pattern six times tracing each on  top of the last. Then the judges looked at the tracings on the ice. If all six  edge patterns were perfectly placed showing only on track it was 6.0. In the old days if you were not good at figures, but were a fantastic free skater (like Janet Lynn) you couldn't really ever catch up. When the figures were gotten rid it became more of a jumping contest.
Coya

Huge Member

Peru Peru

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2018, 03:08:03 PM »

I cried right along with her. It was great! Very happy for them.

Their last routine was magnificent, I was mesmerized, absolutely beautiful and well deserved  Thumb up

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: