Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Olympics  (Read 78784 times)
Thistle

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2018, 03:25:08 PM »

I do, too, Barrie. My favorite performance ever was Torvill and Dean’s Bolero. Perfect 6es across the board. I actually never get tired of watching it over and over on YouTube.

My other favorite was Katerina Witt. She and Michelle Kwan had an “it” that I haven’t noticed as much since. And don’t get me started on hunky Kurt Browning and those shiny pewter pants

Torvill and Dean were iconic!! Another favourite of mine are Yagudin's routines at Salt Lake City in 2002. His "Winter" has some of the most awesome foot work I ever saw in figure skating. And the crowd was insane, so energetic! When they started clapping, I did it too - all by myself here in the middle of the nigh

Reading can seriously damage your ignorance
Pomme

Huge Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2018, 02:57:16 PM »

I do, too, Barrie. My favorite performance ever was Torvill and Dean’s Bolero. Perfect 6es across the board. I actually never get tired of watching it over and over on YouTube.

My other favorite was Katerina Witt. She and Michelle Kwan had an “it” that I haven’t noticed as much since. And don’t get me started on hunky Kurt Browning and those shiny pewter pants

Torvill and Dean were iconic!! Another favourite of mine are Yagudin's routines at Salt Lake City in 2002. His "Winter" has some of the most awesome foot work I ever saw in figure skating. And the crowd was insane, so energetic! When they started clapping, I did it too - all by myself here in the middle of the nigh

Interesting how Alyona/Bruno's costumes were reminiscent of that iconic Torville/Dean performance!
That is IMO still the golden standard in 'interpretation' (or components, whatever) on the ice.

The Dutch commenters were happy that the top 3 in the men's were 'interpreters', of the effortless skating ad telling a story kind rather than just jumping machines. Also interesting how the Spanish guy commented earlier on the threat of the men's turning into solely a jumping contest. The ISU should consider putting some restrictions on the maximum amount of particular elements or the kind of elements or something. They did it before, although obviously the reason they changed the rules from 6.0 judging to the system there is now.
That system was IMO too much of a riggable popularity contest, where strategic scoring was all too easy. As if the judges had predetermined who was best, and scored accordingly regardless of actual performance. In such a system, Patrick Chan would have won a medal even after effing up his short program. Now, although his long was brilliant, he didn't.
Though scoring a perfect 10 (6.0) must feel super special. (Specialler than beating a world's best or season's best in points on an open scale)

What I like about the current system is that each element has an assigned score (like in diving, gymnastics, etc), with pluses and minuses, that a fall automatically doesn't mean exit, but what I don't like is the vagueness of the components. Maybe I should look into it a wee bit more.

Savchenko/Massot - If anyone deserved this gold it was them, especially her, after so many years of hard work at the highest level. She was of course very successful with Robin Solkowy, but never on top of Olympus, the one thing that must have kept her going. And Bruno's emotions were priceless. Great entertainment overall, the skating this time.

Wonder what the women's wil bring...

Talk to the hair, you slitherin' Skank
http://i.imgur.com/2mUIe.jpg
anastasia beaverhausen

Huge Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2018, 05:22:38 PM »

Interesting how Alyona/Bruno's costumes were reminiscent of that iconic Torville/Dean performance!
That is IMO still the golden standard in 'interpretation' (or components, whatever) on the ice.

The Dutch commenters were happy that the top 3 in the men's were 'interpreters', of the effortless skating ad telling a story kind rather than just jumping machines. Also interesting how the Spanish guy commented earlier on the threat of the men's turning into solely a jumping contest. The ISU should consider putting some restrictions on the maximum amount of particular elements or the kind of elements or something. They did it before, although obviously the reason they changed the rules from 6.0 judging to the system there is now.
That system was IMO too much of a riggable popularity contest, where strategic scoring was all too easy. As if the judges had predetermined who was best, and scored accordingly regardless of actual performance. In such a system, Patrick Chan would have won a medal even after effing up his short program. Now, although his long was brilliant, he didn't.
Though scoring a perfect 10 (6.0) must feel super special. (Specialler than beating a world's best or season's best in points on an open scale)

What I like about the current system is that each element has an assigned score (like in diving, gymnastics, etc), with pluses and minuses, that a fall automatically doesn't mean exit, but what I don't like is the vagueness of the components. Maybe I should look into it a wee bit more.

Savchenko/Massot - If anyone deserved this gold it was them, especially her, after so many years of hard work at the highest level. She was of course very successful with Robin Solkowy, but never on top of Olympus, the one thing that must have kept her going. And Bruno's emotions were priceless. Great entertainment overall, the skating this time.

Wonder what the women's wil bring...

I love this thread! It brings back so many memories of beautiful skating routines.

This scoring system is the best one that they’ve had, even with its faults. I am old enough to remember when skaters had to do compulsory “figures” for the judges prior to their routines. So this meant that they could clunk around the rink and fall multiple times and still win if they had high compulsory marks, because the figures made up the majority of the final score.
Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

wannabe Lesbaru driver

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2018, 09:53:10 AM »

I'm a big fan of the new scoring system and some changes ie the value of quad jumps and such as well as the idea of you can fall and still get more points (like how popping his 4sal was the end for Javier when had he landed it he would have won) will be changing.

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
ortensia
Banned
Banned
Gigantic Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2018, 01:02:43 PM »

these olympics are on day time on Italian tv .nobody watches them.evening news talk of olympics only when Italians win something,which is almost never.
👅💤💤💤💤💤💤💤
Duchess of Verona

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2018, 02:43:31 PM »

I am hoping for a bronze for Carolina Costner, to cap off her long career. You should watch her Ortensia. She's a wonderful skater who does Italy proud.
ortensia
Banned
Banned
Gigantic Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2018, 02:53:22 PM »

Yes i know her,We all know her and i think she was wrongly accused and therefore kept out of the ring for years.
But the decalage between Korea and Italia means it's very difficult to watch competitions .
Ciaooo ⛸⛸⛸⛸⛸⛸
Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

wannabe Lesbaru driver

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2018, 06:27:32 AM »

Poor Carolina unfairly targeted by that but she can get another bronze though I think she should have won in Sochi really... her Bolero long program was amazing. I love Carolina!

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
Elissa

Ginormous Member

France France

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2018, 12:29:44 PM »

Today I'm impatiently looking for the ice dancing free program. With the duel between Tessa Virtue/ Scott Moir and Gabriella Papadakis/ Guillaume Cizeron especially !

Poor Gabriella suffered a wardrobe malfunction during the short program, with a 'Janet Jackson at the Super Bowl' moment. And the media found interesting to publish pictures of that moment while Gabriella said it was a nightmare for her  Angry

Thistle

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2018, 12:42:34 PM »

Virtue/Moir broke their own WR for the short programme!! What a start Banana

Reading can seriously damage your ignorance
Duchess of Verona

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2018, 01:38:19 PM »

There is a rumor floating around the skating world that Tessa is pregnant. If true, that would be such a cool story to tell the child one day.
genegal43

Big Member

All I got was a Nancy Pearl Action Figure...

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2018, 06:19:15 PM »

Saw the news this morning: First gold medal in cross-country skiing for the US.  Jessie Diggins and Kikkan Randall brought it home! 

The last time the US Medaled in Cross Country Skiing was in 1976, his name was Bill Koch and he won Silver.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 06:26:44 PM by genegal43, Reason: Added information about the last medalist in cross country skiing! » Logged

Genealogy: shrinking the world one person at a time!
Duchess of Verona

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2018, 03:16:33 PM »

Congratulations to Zagitova, Medvedeva and Osmond. Well done ladies! Tutberidze is officially the star coach of Russia, for 2018 anyway!
cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2018, 01:09:28 AM »

Woo hoo, women's hockey team 
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2018, 03:32:32 AM »

Well, most excellently done! I would have never expected the GER team to reach the finals....42 long years since Insbruck Olympics...good on them.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: