Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ugliest wedding dress & bouquet?  (Read 9183 times)
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 11:45:35 AM »

^^^^^Oh, god those bows.   Nerves  That was the most ridiculous train I've ever seen.  Ever.  

Laurentien's gown looks like it's made out of paper.  Horrible dress.  Thumb down

Mabel's dress was made by Dutch designers Victor&Rolf who had thè bow as a trademark. Mabel has been a postergirl for/of the design duo for a long time
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 12:38:29 PM »

We have to take into account what was considered the absolute "it" of fashion at the time.
Unfortunately some dresses are very "out" today, but I wonder if in about 10-15 years or so, women will look at the ginormous puff-sleeves of Astrid's dress and go  .
I remember that I saw the former queens' dresses (Beatrix, Sofia, Marge, Silvia) I found them incredibly dull and plain when compared to the ahhh effect of the fairy tale meringue that was Diana's wedding dress.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 01:34:11 PM »

The last Shah Mohamed Rezi Pahlevi and Queen Soroya of Persia (Mohamed Rezi's second wife).

This bridal gown looks like someone tried to shave it, but missed some pieces.

Suzy

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 02:11:47 PM »

I have to say I looooove MM's bouquet, the colour the flowers, the length...everything.

It is so different to the other silly bouquet's that look like a flower pot without the pot...often times too heavy, too big, too   - MM's looks like you picked flowers form the heath, and braided all into a lovely plait.

I loved MM's bouquet as well. It was so unique and it went well the her wonderful dress and veil. Not to mention that I've always liked bouquets that are not all white. When Victoria married she had a white one but when she got on that boat she was given a little bouquet of white and purple flowers and it looked perfect.
https://i.pinimg.com/736x...27de97fb9d45795de1042.jpg

Meghan Markle in Vanity Fair: "I'll never define myself by my relationship."
Suzerain

Warned
Humongous Member

Heard Island and McDonald Islands Heard Island and McDonald Islands

Snarkle gets the preciousss....

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 02:39:17 PM »

I have to say I looooove MM's bouquet, the colour the flowers, the length...everything.

It is so different to the other silly bouquet's that look like a flower pot without the pot...often times too heavy, too big, too   - MM's looks like you picked flowers form the heath, and braided all into a lovely plait.

I loved MM's bouquet as well. It was so unique and it went well the her wonderful dress and veil. Not to mention that I've always liked bouquets that are not all white. When Victoria married she had a white one but when she got on that boat she was given a little bouquet of white and purple flowers and it looked perfect.
https://i.pinimg.com/736x...27de97fb9d45795de1042.jpg

I've never really understood the tradition to have all white bouquets. It looks like funeral flowers to me, especially if it consists of calla lilies. Come to think of it I can't remember anyone picking out a white bouquet in any of the weddings I've been to.

I can't understand why Mary picked this mess:

She would have had a wonderful opportunity to combine flowers from Denmark, Australia and perhaps even Scotland with the usual bridal flowers and she went with that. I can imagine several different bouquets that would have looked better. Then again she also chose the origami flap dress and wore the veil in the ugliest possible way, so...

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2017, 02:45:09 PM »

if I remember it correct Maxima also went for all white bouquet
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2017, 02:47:29 PM »

a nice link with regard to royal wedding bouquets (dated 2011)
https://lamberdebieflower...05/royal-wedding-flowers/
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 05:44:27 PM »

^^^^It looks like she's strapped two pillows to her upper arms.  Even by 80s standards, that is one ugly gown  Thumb down

I recall reading somewhere that Astrid was considered a fashion icon.  I find this impossible to believe.  I have hated 99.9% of everything she's ever worn over the years.  She's also got a close relationship to Chanel, and like Caroline of Monaco, most of the time she looks ridiculous in their clothing.
Kaiserin

Big Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 09:14:22 PM »

Mare's looked like the florist ran out of time and left parts dangling which ought to have been secured into the flower ball ...

Mine was also all white (just roses and ivy, with kind of a net of silver filaments). But I married in olive green silk, so the all-white bouquet stood out from a dark background.

Then again, I love all white bouquets. And I think for a royal wedding, they are a good choice, most look elegant and classic.
genegal43

Mini Member

All I got was a Nancy Pearl Action Figure...

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2017, 05:15:59 AM »

and this one...the lace stuffed in the taffeta top looks so bad, the pleated bust, and the "bustles" on the back...nope

If you're belief dictates modesty, then don't chose a sweetheart neckline dress, easy-peasy

I completely agree.  Star

And in some of those pictures, you can see the bolero jacket (she's wearing it backwards) sticking out from where it was tucked in. She didn't even bother to have it sewn into the dress.   Roll Eyes

Between the pleats, the lace and the veil, there was just way too much going on there, texture-wise.

It's too bad there wasn't a better option for Katie Korn if strapless was the only thing available. The lace is a total mismatch to the dress in the first place, let alone in combination with the pleats.  I've seen better wedding dresses on Amazon.

I've always thought whoever designed the first strapless wedding dress should have been hung, drawn and quartered and their designs burned.  But that's just me... Whistle

Genealogy: shrinking the world one person at a time!
Margaret

Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2017, 06:11:34 AM »

I've always thought whoever designed the first strapless wedding dress should have been hung, drawn and quartered and their designs burned.  But that's just me... Whistle

No, not just you. 
leatherface

Big Member

Nigeria Nigeria

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2017, 08:54:35 AM »

No, not just you. 

I third this sentiment.
Ghost

Micro Member

Romania Romania

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2017, 12:48:01 PM »

No, not just you. 

I third this sentiment.

Let's found a society.
carolzebs

Baby Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2017, 02:28:32 PM »

No, not just you. 

I third this sentiment.

Let's found a society.

I'm in !!!
carolzebs

Baby Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2017, 02:39:13 PM »

Love the topic!  Jumping

Danica's dress is awful and the sleeves look like they are far too long. Really unflattering.

Mabel's bow extravaganza looks like a joke! Horrendous!!!!

I must say Diana's dress was not fantastic even at the time, it was far too bouffant even then...

I also hate MM bouquet, it looks like a piece of flower carpet. The one with too much green and too few flowers made me laugh! 

I agree sometimes there's what was in fashion at the time, so we have to look at the dresses in the context of the year they were worn... but I believe ideally that a wedding gown must be a bit "timeless" as  these pictures will be there for ever, even more if you are a Royal.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: