Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Crown, season II  (Read 18217 times)
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« on: December 12, 2017, 02:11:04 AM »

Who else has binge-watched the second season of ``The Crown'' via Netflix? I must confess that this is how I spent the weekend. And I loved every minute of it.

My favorite episode involved the visit to Buck House by the Kennedys, and the Queen's subsequent trip to Ghana, where she took truly bold action for the time and place.  But I also enjoyed the performance by Alex Jennings as the perfidious Duke of Windsor and Vanessa Kirby, who made me see what an emotionally out-of-control hottie Princess Margaret was.

Clare Foy has been nominated for a Golden Globe for her work as the Queen in season 1 and I think it's well deserved. She is equally brilliant in Season 2.

Some of my favorite minor actors played the courtiers, particularly Will Kean as Michael Adeane. Frankly, I think he does the best comic performance of anyone in the whole series. But Pip Torrens' version of Tommy Lascelles is also so good. I just couldn't stop laughing. He is brilliant as an uptight and all-knowing servant of the Crown.

Enjoyed being caught up on the history around the Suez Crisis and the Profumo scandal. I was in school when both of these events occurred, and, here in the U.S., didn't get all the necessary background to understand what was going on. I enjoyed learning about the various prime ministers and their roles in  the big political issues of the time.

I think they got the costumes really right on, as well as the jewelry  and the hairstyles that changed as the years went by.  The tiaras didn't quite have the sparkle of the real thing, but they didn't look as plasticy as they probably were.

Had not known how deeply Philip's sisters were involved with Nazi officials in the years leading up to WWII. How traumatic it must have been for him!

I always knew that Cecil Beaton had some fussy silliness about him but  hoo boy, I didn't know he was THAT outrageous. How the royal family put up with him, I'll never know.

I am sorry that Clare Foy and Matt Smith will be replaced in Season 3, but I understand that they will need older actors to portray the Queen and Philip as the years go by. I think the director said the actors can play ten years below their real ages and ten years beyond, but after that, it's just not realistic anymore.

Bottom line: I loved the whole series. Did you?

Katestolemyname

Mini Member

Norway Norway

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 02:29:48 AM »

I started watching, but I thought this season is quite boring. I'm currently at episode 6, and I normally binge like anything!!! Looking forward to seeing Diana next season.
Ellie

Warned
Ginormous Member

proud moron thx Scooby Doo

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 02:31:20 AM »

I binge-watched the whole thing this weekend, I found it more compelling and interesting than season 1.

'Paterfamilias' broke my heart. Reading those stories about Charles but seeing it, ugh, poor kid.

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
lyndell75

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 03:53:28 AM »

Binge watched season 1 all last week then watched season 2 on Saturday
So in love with Vanessa. ..
^ the episode 'Paterfamilias' broke me too.

AutumnOpal

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 06:50:08 PM »

I started watching, but I thought this season is quite boring. I'm currently at episode 6, and I normally binge like anything!!! Looking forward to seeing Diana next season.

Claire Foy and Matt Smith went on Watch What Happens Live on Bravo last week and Matt accidently said Diana won't be in the next season (3) but in the next (4).  Make of that what you will.
AutumnOpal

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 06:53:11 PM »

Some of my favorite minor actors played the courtiers, particularly Will Kean as Michael Adeane. Frankly, I think he does the best comic performance of anyone in the whole series. But Pip Torrens' version of Tommy Lascelles is also so good. I just couldn't stop laughing. He is brilliant as an uptight and all-knowing servant of the Crown.

I got a kick out of how in the second season whenever something really big goes down Michael makes a call and the next scene Tommy shows up to fix it.

I think they got the costumes really right on, as well as the jewelry  and the hairstyles that changed as the years went by.  The tiaras didn't quite have the sparkle of the real thing, but they didn't look as plasticy as they probably were.

The Cartier Halo tiara on Princess Margaret looked really plasticy, and the Queen Mary Fringe looked awkwardly too large and rigid on HM but the Cambridge Lovers Knot on HM and the Boucheron on QM looked better.
Olya

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 07:12:51 PM »

^ Imo the problem with some of the ill-fitting jewels is that they didn't get the proportions right, eg the Vladimir tiara, the circles appear to be too large. The Cartier looked indeed plastic-y and the Lover's Knot was a bit off too. I wonder why the Cartier looked so bad, I know some make replicas, they look exactly like the real deal, even RFs have knock-offs they wear instead of the real deal..

I'll miss Claire Foy & Matt Smith, they did a fantastic job. Looking very much forward to next season!
Katestolemyname

Mini Member

Norway Norway

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 08:04:54 PM »

Claire Foy and Matt Smith went on Watch What Happens Live on Bravo last week and Matt accidently said Diana won't be in the next season (3) but in the next (4).  Make of that what you will.

Oh, I thought I read third somewhere. But that's a while ago Smiley
jessmie

Large Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 10:37:59 PM »

Children spent the weekend with the in-laws so that hubby and I take a break and we binge-watched the entire season.

I personally found this season more interesting than season 1 and thought that Claire Foy was phenomenal! If she doesn't win the Golden Globe she'll be robbed. The chemistry between Vanessa Kirby and Matthew Goode was extraordinary. Matt Smith was excellent too, even though he made me consider multiple times how much of a brat Prince Philip has been. I know many of the scenes were based on rumours rather than fact and that this is a series but it still left a bitter taste in my mouth. Having said that, "Paterfamilias" was just heartbreaking, especially the scenes depicting the aftermath of Philip's sister's death and Charles's struggle to live up to the expectations of his father.

The scene where Philip tells Elizabeth he's been drinking with the Queen Mother and Alan Lascelles was hilarious, as where the conversations between Michael Adeane and Martin Charteris in "Dear Mrs. Kennedy", and the last scene of the season where they're trying to take a family photograph after Prince Edward's christening.

Also, I really enjoyed the scene where Margaret is trying not to go all Solange over Philip's pathetic a$$!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 10:45:35 PM by jessmie » Logged
kpzra

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 12:02:22 AM »

I can't wait for season 3!  I fell like this one got more to the meat of the relationship/issues whereas the first was more glamor filled.  I think they are well done without being disrespectful to the involved parties.
Sondra Finchley

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 08:31:26 PM »

Ive got one more episode tonight, but I really enjoyed the Paterfamilias ep and how the story was told re: Philip and his family and Charles. In fact, I have found the story telling much more compelling this time around where they have a personal issue mixed in with a more historical event. Makes it much more interesting. But lord, how his sister died in that plane crash having gone into labor!

The only thing that bothered me was Michael C Hall showing up as JFK (just don't like the actor) and I didn't like the actress who played Jackie. Oh! But I was rather happy to see the episode with the Duke of Windsor again, and really liked how they silently showed teh actual photos at the end. And I loved the Margaret/Antony A-J story too. A much better season on the whole than the first one.

I figured they wouldn't get to Diana until season 4 as we are only about the mid-60s here. I assumed each "queen" would get two seasons. But thats ok, lots to cover with the PoW investiture, the Margaret marriage breakdown, the Swinging 60s etc. And I imagine that the seeds of the Diana/Charles/Camilla situation will be planted next season.
kpzra

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 08:37:48 PM »

Ive got one more episode tonight, but I really enjoyed the Paterfamilias ep and how the story was told re: Philip and his family and Charles. In fact, I have found the story telling much more compelling this time around where they have a personal issue mixed in with a more historical event. Makes it much more interesting. But lord, how his sister died in that plane crash having gone into labor!

The only thing that bothered me was Michael C Hall showing up as JFK (just don't like the actor) and I didn't like the actress who played Jackie. Oh! But I was rather happy to see the episode with the Duke of Windsor again, and really liked how they silently showed teh actual photos at the end. And I loved the Margaret/Antony A-J story too. A much better season on the whole than the first one.

I figured they wouldn't get to Diana until season 4 as we are only about the mid-60s here. I assumed each "queen" would get two seasons. But thats ok, lots to cover with the PoW investiture, the Margaret marriage breakdown, the Swinging 60s etc. And I imagine that the seeds of the Diana/Charles/Camilla situation will be planted next season.

I was hoping I wasn't the only one who didn't like the Kennedys casting in this.  I know the actress from watching Bomb Girls so seeing her play Jackie just didn't seem to fit.  I really like at the end when they would expand on the history of some of the minor characters and have the real photos.   
Lady Willoughby

Warned
Gigantic Member

Circa Regna Tonat

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 09:19:49 PM »

I was hoping I wasn't the only one who didn't like the Kennedys casting in this.  I know the actress from watching Bomb Girls so seeing her play Jackie just didn't seem to fit.  I really like at the end when they would expand on the history of some of the minor characters and have the real photos.   

Oh thank god! The worst Kennedy’s I’ve yet seen on film & it takes a lot to make Katie Holmes’ Jackie look passable.

I love this season. Just gets better & better.

RubyLucinda

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 10:57:54 PM »

I just finished watching Season 2 and it was riveting! I love how they fleshed out the characters a little bit more. Claire Foy was INCREDIBLE. Matt Smith was great as PP. Vanessa amazing as Margaret. I have a massive crush on the actor who played Antony Armstrong-Jones now 

I knew quite a bit of the historical background from the 1st season (WW2, abdication, King George's death, etc.) so I found this season really fascinating because I had never heard of the crises they dealt with. (For reference I'm born in 1987.)

How much of this season is rooted in reality? I know the private conversations are conjecture, but is there any hard proof about these events and how they transpired?

I have way more respect for QEII after watching this show. I can't even imagine having to put up with the BS that she does. I know this is just a show, and a dramatization of things, but I'm starting to think the gravitas of the monarchy will end with Charles. I think he'll do an OK job with protocol, duty, etc. but I just can't see Willy taking on the role of sovereign and doing a good job. The person who wears the Crown has to have respect for the institution and people they serve, and up until this point Willy has thumbed his nose at it all.

I loved this season and I can't wait to see what Seasons 3 & 4 have in store!!!

Margaret

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 12:17:42 AM »

I've finished watching it, too.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  

I don't think Matt Smith was a good choice for Philip but he was effective.  I loathed Phillip at the end of the season, but I felt I could understand him, and I think that is a credit to the actor.  I think Claire Foy has been excellent as Elizabeth.  I'm afraid Michael C. Hall will always be Dexter to me, and I thought he was an odd choice for JFK.  It's a bit strange that I feel that way about him because I also saw him in Six Feet Under and enjoyed him in that, too, but I suppose Dexter was the character that really left its mark and is the one I associate him with now.  The woman who played Jackie left me feeling... nothing.  She didn't move me in any way, and I think she should have. I think a better actress would have.

Claire Foy's portrayal was particularly good in a few ways, I think.  It accords with impressions I have formed about Elizabeth over the years and shows her to be a flawed human being just like the rest of us.  It also confirms my view that the royals in line for the crown should receive far more formal education than they do.  I believe the Head of State should be as well educated and well informed as his/her minders.  I got the impression that Elizabeth was flailing a lot, and not really able to assess the advice she was given by her advisors and that they were able to railroad her into things because of her lack of formal education and lack of understanding of what was going on around her.  The show had a very "Yes, Minister" vibe to it, IMO, but that's always been my understanding of the BRF.   I think Charles will give the minders a run for their money and match them wit for wit, but that William will just try to bully his way around them.    

I think the show cleverly demonstrated the difficulties Elizabeth faced because of the social forces she felt and the general lack of preparation and structure for her role as a queen who is a wife.  It was clear that no thought had been given to what her husband was going to do with himself when he wasn't providing her with children.  Had none of them ever looked back to the example of Victoria and Albert?  I think it was all too much for her and that she struggled to find the right balance.  I also think she should never have been in that situation to start with, and I think the show highlights the faults in the system that gives such status and privilege and such an important job to someone who is ill-prepared for it on so many levels, merely because of accident of birth.

However the show - and Foy - managed to portray Elizabeth as genuinely doing her best to be a good mother, and good Queen, and a good wife.   I think she gave priority to being a good queen, and then to being a good wife, and motherhood was a distant third except for poor little Charles and Gordonstoun but even then she gave priority to being a wife and keeping her husband tractable.   The conflict between her and Phillip over this issue was complex and very cleverly portrayed, and the way the show dealt with Charles' predicament also demonstrated Elizabeth's tendency to avoid intervention until a problem got so big that she absolutely has to step in.  In this case her desire to keep her husband tractable won, and Charles lost.  I think Elizabeth should have insisted her view as monarch prevail with respect to Charles' education, but she yielded, at Charles' expense.  

Lots of depth to the series, and lots of fascinating history.  I found it particularly interesting to see the events in the Windsor family's personal lives in historical context.  I look forward to the next series.  Olivia Colman is an excellent actress and I look forward to seeing what she does with the older Elizabeth.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: