Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gillette commercial that challenges bullying, sexual harass & toxic masculinity  (Read 4979 times)
anastasia beaverhausen

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2019, 02:29:39 AM »

Kaiserin, I'm with you. I don't need a firm like Gillette to tell me what to think while knowing that actually, they want to sell a product. And the commercial is so heavy-handed and mixes different issues - I'm not surprised it sets up people's backs. I have the feeling they decided to do something that will get talked about, no matter what. And they certainly achieved that. I'd have preferred to see commercials that show examples of how non-toxic masculinity can look, without this didactic show of "bad examples".  

But probably that shows my age ;-)

I agree. The concept is good but the heavy handedness and imo the insinuation to me that all men are somehow bad people who need to be fixed up thanks to a shaving company is really bizarre.

Toxic masculinity is really not a good thing. I even see it in my young son being told he can't like or do certain things because he is a boy. Sad

I donít see it that way. To me, the commercial showed some examples of toxic masculinity, but then countered those with examples of men showing their strength by being kind and considerate.

I agree with Lothwen.  I think the commercial is desperately needed right now.  Toxic masculinity is a disgusting, pervasive problem that is rampant in society at this very moment.  Hell, the US literally put a vile sack of trash who oozes toxic masculinity in the White House.  Michigan State just ousted their most recent president (the second one since the abuse scandal) because he said disgusting things about the sexual abuse survivors on his campus. Good for Gillette for taking a stand.  This message is needed.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/...e=fbCNN&utm_term=link

Yes it is  Star
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 04:57:42 AM »

Kaiserin, I'm with you. I don't need a firm like Gillette to tell me what to think while knowing that actually, they want to sell a product. And the commercial is so heavy-handed and mixes different issues - I'm not surprised it sets up people's backs. I have the feeling they decided to do something that will get talked about, no matter what. And they certainly achieved that. I'd have preferred to see commercials that show examples of how non-toxic masculinity can look, without this didactic show of "bad examples".  

I agree. The concept is good but the heavy handedness and imo the insinuation to me that all men are somehow bad people who need to be fixed up thanks to a shaving company is really bizarre.

Toxic masculinity is really not a good thing. I even see it in my young son being told he can't like or do certain things because he is a boy. Sad

I donít see it that way. To me, the commercial showed some examples of toxic masculinity, but then countered those with examples of men showing their strength by being kind and considerate.

I agree with Lothwen.  I think the commercial is desperately needed right now.  Toxic masculinity is a disgusting, pervasive problem that is rampant in society at this very moment.  Hell, the US literally put a vile sack of trash who oozes toxic masculinity in the White House.  Michigan State just ousted their most recent president (the second one since the abuse scandal) because he said disgusting things about the sexual abuse survivors on his campus. Good for Gillette for taking a stand.  This message is needed.

Bill Clinton oozed toxic masculinity too...
Ellie

Muted
Ginormous Member

proud moron thx Scooby Doo

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 04:58:28 AM »

He sure did. I hate that man as much as I hate our current President. Both serial sexual assaulters and probably rapists especially old Billy boy.

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2019, 08:31:36 PM »

Yes he did, and he's not currently sitting in the White House, so I don't see how that whataboutism excuses the current president?
Seagull
Banned
Warned
Micro Member

Hong Kong Hong Kong

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2019, 05:59:11 AM »

I do miss the times when commercials were just that: a video promoting the quality and features of a product.
Razor: has 3/4/5 blades and a smoothing strip. Ergonomic handle. Helps to get smooth skin in minutes. Fullstop.

Since when do companies feel the need to transport political messages in their commercials?
To even cash in on political discussions they usually have nothing to with?

No matter if I like or dislike the content of this ad, it's "using" popular social probs to promote the brand (and one has to admit, it works, as the social media outcry is the best possible outcome for Gilette, PR-wise. No one would have spoken at that length about the brand had they done a classic commercial).

Not sure if I like this development.
Maybe it's just another sign that I have to line up on the "oldfashioned" side of the world ...

Star

I do miss the times when Royal Dish was all about royals. I've discovered RD in 2007 when searching an info on a certain royal. It feels like it was in another century. We still had some remnants of innocence hanging in the air then. Now the very fabric of our existence is soaked with hostility and distraction. Clouds of massive psychosis on the horizon. With all the technological advances, it seems like humanity is mentally still in a cave.

ďIn the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true.Ē
Buddha
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2019, 06:18:03 AM »

Yes he did, and he's not currently sitting in the White House, so I don't see how that whataboutism excuses the current president?

Singling out Donald Trump takes attention away from the more egregious examples of toxic masculinity - the ones who actually get away with it with their reputation intact among liberals who can't bear the truth about charismatic men.
cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2019, 06:48:02 AM »

I do miss the times when commercials were just that: a video promoting the quality and features of a product.
Razor: has 3/4/5 blades and a smoothing strip. Ergonomic handle. Helps to get smooth skin in minutes. Fullstop.

Since when do companies feel the need to transport political messages in their commercials?
To even cash in on political discussions they usually have nothing to with?

No matter if I like or dislike the content of this ad, it's "using" popular social probs to promote the brand (and one has to admit, it works, as the social media outcry is the best possible outcome for Gilette, PR-wise. No one would have spoken at that length about the brand had they done a classic commercial).

Not sure if I like this development.
Maybe it's just another sign that I have to line up on the "oldfashioned" side of the world ...

Star

I do miss the times when Royal Dish was all about royals. I've discovered RD in 2007 when searching an info on a certain royal. It feels like it was in another century. We still had some remnants of innocence hanging in the air then. Now the very fabric of our existence is soaked with hostility and distraction. Clouds of massive psychosis on the horizon. With all the technological advances, it seems like humanity is mentally still in a cave.

Oh geez
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2019, 06:00:12 PM »

Singling out Donald Trump takes attention away from the more egregious examples of toxic masculinity - the ones who actually get away with it with their reputation intact among liberals who can't bear the truth about charismatic men.

Heís not in the White House any more. Heís not the current face of this nation. His reputation is not intact, and hasnít been for the last twenty years. Heís a sleazebag, and thankfully not the president.

Trump IS in the White House at the moment. He IS getting away with disgusting behavior. Whataboutisms are the EXACT reason why he got elected. Itís disgusting that anybody would dismiss his trashy behavior.

Seagull-there has always been an off-topic section on RD. Itís not required reading. This cave is nowhere near the royal threads.
lothwen

Warned
Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2019, 06:19:11 PM »

Plus, this is a discussion we need to be having ( not just on RD), precisely because it makes people uncomfortable.

Men can be men. But does being a man mean being a bully, or sexually harassing women, or being condescending towards others? Or does it mean standing up for others and fighting for what you believe in?

Women can be women. But does that mean being a bully or catty or judgmental towards others? Or does it mean being compassionate and kind and standing with those who need it?

There are so many examples of the worst of us, but that doesnít mean we have to follow them.
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2019, 06:29:06 PM »

Plus, this is a discussion we need to be having ( not just on RD), precisely because it makes people uncomfortable.

Men can be men. But does being a man mean being a bully, or sexually harassing women, or being condescending towards others? Or does it mean standing up for others and fighting for what you believe in?

Women can be women. But does that mean being a bully or catty or judgmental towards others? Or does it mean being compassionate and kind and standing with those who need it?

There are so many examples of the worst of us, but that doesnít mean we have to follow them.

Star (in 24)
anastasia beaverhausen

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2019, 07:54:28 PM »

Star (in 24)

Star for you both.

After seeing those teens mob and harass a Native American yesterday, I have had it with toxic behavior.
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2019, 11:25:45 PM »

Star (in 24)

Star for you both.

After seeing those teens mob and harass a Native American yesterday, I have had it with toxic behavior.

Oh, that was the absolute most disgusting thing I've seen in ages.  Those videos made me physically ill and disgusted.  Thumb down  The really sick thing is that those little jerks probably will not face any punishment at all.
getafix

Most Exalted Member

Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, British

Bye-Bye MEDiana Who!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2019, 06:16:05 AM »

This advert is not motivated by altruism. This is strategy by P&G to increase its market share by taking up a relevant, topical social issue. I don't believe that this advert would be made if there were no $$$ benefits. If this advert touches anyone besides the converted, that's wonderful however I don't believe a single advert can change deeply held beliefs or change the psychological make-up of people. It has people talking and if P&G directs any of their CSR initiatives to addressing the underlying issues resulting in the the catch-all phrase of toxic masculinity, the world is better for it.

Star

G Smiley

ANDREW DENTON: Yes. What did... When you first met, what did you see in each other? CROWN PRINCE FREDERIK: What did we see in each other? We saw... Well, it's a bit hard. It's a bit blurry, in a way, because it was just after the Olympics had started and it was one of those evenings where...
Seagull
Banned
Warned
Micro Member

Hong Kong Hong Kong

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2019, 10:09:35 AM »

Oh, that was the absolute most disgusting thing I've seen in ages.  Those videos made me physically ill and disgusted.  Thumb down  The really sick thing is that those little jerks probably will not face any punishment at all.
[/quote]

Well now that the childrenís family are suing CNN, the Washington Post and other ruthless propaganda machines for defamation and damages, you lying filthy disgusting jerk Ė to use your own Ďfamily friendly languageí Ė should at least apologize for your spiteful accusations. How can anyone hate the innocent children this much, is beyond me. Oh wait, it is indeed Pixie's habit to harass RD posters right and centre, so itís perfectly in line with her mean self... But  how can such incredible hate speech to be allowed on this supposedly royal board? Despite the rules at that? And this is not such a trivial thing like dehumanising Mary. Itís a very serious online bullying of minors, for Goodness sake!

To the rest of you femi-warriors I just say this, and mind you, itís coming from a-darkish-skinned-minority-disable-woman-with-a-great-sense-of-integrity. Oh, how I wish the white straight men would stop working and paying taxes right now! Stop protecting you from the criminals you seem to worship. No doubt the decent men of all colours and believes would join in. They all are sick and tired of this lunacy. See where the world would be. See where you pampered b*****s would end up.

I give you a hint. Welcome to Sweden for a reality check. The feminist nightmare, the rape capital of the world. Even according to the official statistics, which are never complete and accurate, thousands of rapes and gang rapes are being reported annually and the numbers are growing each year also by thousands. Almost half of this hideous rapes committed against the children of both genders. CHILDREN! None committed by ethnical Swedes, none. Fury and outcry from the feminists? Not a single one.

Welcome to the ugly world that you very much helped to create.

Take it elsewhere.

ďIn the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true.Ē
Buddha
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: