Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 98   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2018 Yrma - NEWS & EVENTS  (Read 265572 times)
Lille

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1395 on: December 08, 2018, 03:21:38 PM »

My father in law is American and has lived in Denmark for decades. He has a very heavy accent still. It's not like he has neglected speaking Danish at all. He just has a really hard time getting rid of that accent. Mary has an accent too - a strong one perhaps, but I don't think her knowledge of Danish is poor and her vocabulary is not bad.
anastasia beaverhausen

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1396 on: December 08, 2018, 04:26:06 PM »

I remember Máxima's engagement and her reading her notes bravely. I don't understand a word of Dutch : I thought  it sounded "foreign", but gosh! the young lady did her best from the very beginning. They even greeted well-wishers outside, so I guess she spoke Dutch with those people.
Is Mary fluent or is it just her pronunciation? If she is fluent, it's OK.  Maybe her children will help her with that issue.

According posts I’ve read here, the answer is no. She has enough to be considered basic level, but she routinely mispronounces words or uses the wrong word and her cadence, phrasing and grasp of sentence structure is lacking.  She apparently lacks the interest and/or will to improve, so I don’t think the children will be able to help her.

Lille:  I just saw your post.  I’m not a Dane, so I’m just assuming what I saw was correct. I do remember watching a clip of her answering a question put to her in English with “Ja”, and then laughing because she was “speaking Danish”. I thought that was a little weird.
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #1397 on: December 08, 2018, 06:00:19 PM »

The fact that Danes in Copenhagen are fluent in English is not a good excuse. When I had the pleasure of visiting Denmark I made an effort to learn some basic phrases and words. When I asked for directions or made purchases I attempted Danish and the Danes in turn spoke to me in English since it was obvious I was a non-native. BUT I kept trying and the Danes I encountered quickly realized that I WANTED to try Danish. And you know what happened? They HELPED me. From construction workers, store clerks, the waitress in the diner. Heck, at a local pub I was given a free beer “to help loosen my tongue.” SO if Danes were that helpful to me I am quite confident they’d be there to help their CP. And one phrase I heard a lot was “Thank you for trying!”

This  Star

That is no excuse at all.  She's the Crown Princess of DENMARK.  Her one job is to be the face OF Denmark and of Danish culture and tradition.  Whether or not most Danes speak English is 100000000000% irrelevant.  Full stop. 

It's her one job.  It's not like she's trying to squeeze in Danish lessons in between working 8 hour days and trying to raise 4 children by herself with no help whatsoever.  There is literally NO excuse for her laziness and lack of achievement in mastering the Danish language. She has all the money in the world, and the absolute best teachers and materials at her disposal.  To the best of my knowledge, she's not suffering from a brain injury that prevents her from learning.  There is NO excuse for this.

It absolutely blows my mind that anybody would excuse this.
perdie

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #1398 on: December 08, 2018, 06:20:21 PM »

Her nearest comparison is Max, who also had to learn a new language and new culture.  I don't speak Dutch, but Dutch speakers here have commented favorably on her Dutch, and pointed to the fact that she knows a lot of children's songs as being evidence of her Dutch acquisition.  It should also be said that Dutch (West Germanic) and Spanish (Romance) are in different language trees, unlike Danish (North Germanic) and English (West Germanic) so would differ substantially in vocabulary.
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #1399 on: December 08, 2018, 06:44:34 PM »

OMG...OMG....and so it begins...lookie-loo who's there

December 8
Yrma attended the Christmas concert of a girl choir this afternoon, as Patron.

She made a quick pit stop at Haberdash  Laugh bounce

« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 06:52:45 PM by PeDe » Logged

Marieke

Warned
Mini Member

Belgium Belgium

Ignore
« Reply #1400 on: December 08, 2018, 07:36:39 PM »

When I see people here who don't speak Dutch or don't try even I always compare them to the people that I do know who did the effort in learning Dutch (which is a hard language to learn too) and speak it. Even if they make mistakes which is normal, I correct them and applaud them for trying.  At least they try. How can you learn a language without making mistakes.  There is just no excuse for someone who is going to be Queen consort for not speaking the language of the country that gives her too much money. If people can do it who have a job and a life, what's her excuse. She's just an ungrateful vain lazy person.

Jumping Star

Yes!  I couldn't agree more.

Another I agree over here.

BTW wasn't it Paola who had a hard time speaking Dutch?

Yes it was  Smiley .

I think it's always funny when I go to Holland and they ask you to "pinnen"  Grin .
Royal Me!

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1401 on: December 08, 2018, 09:51:28 PM »

Did Haberdash call to let her know to take the cape back since it won't sell?
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #1402 on: December 09, 2018, 12:46:22 AM »

LOL...probably  Star

PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #1403 on: December 09, 2018, 01:06:09 AM »

$3,280.00 for a choir attendance...nice...keep on going, Mary, we keep on tallying  Spiteful

anastasia beaverhausen

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #1404 on: December 09, 2018, 01:14:27 AM »

$3,280.00 for a choir attendance...nice...keep on going, Mary, we keep on tallying  Spiteful

We have an Angel Tree at my gym, where you select a wishlist for a child and bring the presents back for pickup. That $3200 could buy a lot of toys and winter coats, but Yrma needs her gladrags I guess.
karma chamelion

Large Member

Delphine Boel's grandmother

Ignore
« Reply #1405 on: December 09, 2018, 02:15:46 AM »

$3,280.00 for a choir attendance...nice...keep on going, Mary, we keep on tallying  Spiteful

We have an Angel Tree at my gym, where you select a wishlist for a child and bring the presents back for pickup. That $3200 could buy a lot of toys and winter coats, but Yrma needs her gladrags I guess.

Star when time allows

On the Lit Train for GIANTS!
genegal43

Big Member

All I got was a Nancy Pearl Action Figure...

Ignore
« Reply #1406 on: December 09, 2018, 03:35:07 AM »

I can probably find that outfit for cheap on Amazon!

Genealogy: shrinking the world one person at a time!
getafix
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, British

Bye-Bye MEDiana Who!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #1407 on: December 09, 2018, 04:04:46 AM »

I can probably find that outfit for cheap on Amazon!

why go to Amazon?

Just go to Haderdash  shop.

it'll be in there tomorrow arvo 

G Smiley

ANDREW DENTON: Yes. What did... When you first met, what did you see in each other? CROWN PRINCE FREDERIK: What did we see in each other? We saw... Well, it's a bit hard. It's a bit blurry, in a way, because it was just after the Olympics had started and it was one of those evenings where...
SvenskaSarah

Small Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1408 on: December 09, 2018, 02:53:46 PM »

I remember Máxima's engagement and her reading her notes bravely. I don't understand a word of Dutch : I thought  it sounded "foreign", but gosh! the young lady did her best from the very beginning. They even greeted well-wishers outside, so I guess she spoke Dutch with those people.
Is Mary fluent or is it just her pronunciation? If she is fluent, it's OK.  Maybe her children will help her with that issue.

According posts I’ve read here, the answer is no. She has enough to be considered basic level, but she routinely mispronounces words or uses the wrong word and her cadence, phrasing and grasp of sentence structure is lacking.  She apparently lacks the interest and/or will to improve, so I don’t think the children will be able to help her.

Lille:  I just saw your post.  I’m not a Dane, so I’m just assuming what I saw was correct. I do remember watching a clip of her answering a question put to her in English with “Ja”, and then laughing because she was “speaking Danish”. I thought that was a little weird.

Though I can completely see Mary's answering Ja as an attention seeking gimmick, I have to say, I speak five languages and often respond to someone in a different language. I often say "tack", "hej", "ja" or "da" (serbian) in response without thinking. And I particularly do this after being submersed in one language for a while, such as when watching a Swedish programme. So I can give some plausibility to Mary responding in the language she uses the most (presuming she speaks Danish at home?) but in formal or public situations, her response in Danish just seems very "look at me"  Smiley
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #1409 on: December 09, 2018, 06:06:55 PM »

Though I can completely see Mary's answering Ja as an attention seeking gimmick, I have to say, I speak five languages and often respond to someone in a different language. I often say "tack", "hej", "ja" or "da" (serbian) in response without thinking. And I particularly do this after being submersed in one language for a while, such as when watching a Swedish programme. So I can give some plausibility to Mary responding in the language she uses the most (presuming she speaks Danish at home?) but in formal or public situations, her response in Danish just seems very "look at me"  Smiley

Fred has confirmed to the media that they speak English at home. 
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 98   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: