Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2018 Yrma - NEWS & EVENTS  (Read 183579 times)
dwi

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #1380 on: December 07, 2018, 04:18:07 PM »

I'll say learning a different language can be quite tricky for those who have English as their native language. Its a universally spoken language and a lack of need/necessity can also be an another driving factor.
I tried learning Spanish but despite my best efforts I still can't speak the language fluently  although if you speak very slowly I can understand what the speaker is saying.

PS- not speaking for Mary in particular but making a general point.  

I agree.  Danes, at least in Copenhagen and the surrounding areas, speak fluent English and can write it very well.  So Mary has had it easy that way in that she's not forced to have to learn Danish since most everyone she comes in contact with speaks English, and sometimes i think they do that just to accommodate her.  plus, as others have said, i don't think she really ever immersed herself into the culture, etc.  alex and marie always seemed to have embraced & appreciated their new country moreso than mary, which is interesting since she'll be a queen consort one day.

also, if a foreigner and you want to become a citizen don't you have to take a basic Danish test as part of that process?  i thought i read something along those lines.  mary didn't have to worry about such things since she was marrying into the royal family and she got a free pass.  and i think it's true that at home probably everyone speaks english with her.

danish is a difficult language to learn.  even my danish friends (in DK) admit that.  i tried to learn just one word (noun) in danish when i was visiting friends in copen. last year.  i had to practice saying it probably 4 times before i got the pronunciation correct! we're not even talking about spelling!  then a couple of days later I went to a danish org. meeting and i was supposedly showing my friends there how I knew how to pronounce that one word.  i was so proud of myself.  Supercontent  anyway, when i did, everyone looked at me like i had 3 heads!  when i told them the english word i was trying to pronounce they said it in danish, and i was totally off!  we just all started laughing.  

the problem with mary's position is that she does at times come off like she really doesn't know or fully understand what people are saying when they're speaking in danish, and it shows.  that's probably why at times she doesn't look comfortable.  but that's her choice.  if it was really a priority for her, i think she would try harder.  i don't think it really is and because she's a danish royal, she's not called on it.  actually the danish royal family never gets flak for anything by their press.  they're not accountable like some of the other royals.  she's very lucky.

i don't even live there, but i think i embrace the country more than her!
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #1381 on: December 07, 2018, 04:55:32 PM »

A little peddle back, it is not easy for everyone to learn another / new language.
One picks it up by his or herself, just by listening and so, while others need to spend enormous amounts of time and effort in to it to grasp the basics.

But still I would think that after being in Denmark for about 15 years and all the possibilities etc. available to her, Mary would have a better understanding, feeling and such for the Danish language and culture.

Reminds me of a nice conversation with a British couple I recently had. They told that to their experiences Europeans, especially the ones from the Benelux, were at ease with and mastering several languages. And they asked me how many I spoke, which is about 4 (Dutch, English, German and a dialect (of the so called Lower Saxon language(s))). But that was nothing in comparison to an old study friend of mine, who mastered about 7. For me it is quite normal to be able to speak several languages (or at least know the basics), but according to the Brits for them this was quite unusual. Their kids would learn English and perhaps French and or Spanish. And I have noticed that for most people, who have English as 1st language, it isn't always easy to pick up another language. As most of the other people also master English to a certain level and will easily switch to English (instead of helping learn the language by continuing in their language). Off course you also have people who can't be bothered by learning another language………….

And I'll give you that, principessa, but that's now what we are talking about.

It's her skill, her attitude and her PR team hailing her as the second coming to DK regarding her status as CPs including speaking Danish.

And it's just not reality.

PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #1382 on: December 07, 2018, 04:56:24 PM »

The thing is, I wouldn’t be judging Mary for having a hard time learning Danish (as a Dane, I KNOW it’s a difficult language to learn) if it weren’t for the fact that it’s just part of many things where she’s decidedly not Danish. She lives here, heck, her job is to represent us abroad. She’ll likely be our queen one day. But she’s not Danish. You can tell that she doesn’t feel at home here, even after all those years.

Henrik had a very heavy accent as well and to the average Dane, it was more noticable since we’re more used to the sound of English than the sound of French. But his grasp of the language (the nuances and the “between the lines stuff) and his vocabulary were very good. It was really mainly the sentence melody that he struggled with and he was mocked for it for decades. Mary has far greater problems with the language but she’s hailed as the second coming and people, weirdly, buy into the hype. Henrik was pretty much always blamed for the things that people ought to blame Mosh for instead.

Star

PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #1383 on: December 07, 2018, 05:21:11 PM »

wrong thread

jolene

Mini Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1384 on: December 07, 2018, 05:25:41 PM »

Are other Nordic languages just as hard?
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #1385 on: December 07, 2018, 06:39:24 PM »

The thing is, I wouldn’t be judging Mary for having a hard time learning Danish (as a Dane, I KNOW it’s a difficult language to learn) if it weren’t for the fact that it’s just part of many things where she’s decidedly not Danish. She lives here, heck, her job is to represent us abroad. She’ll likely be our queen one day. But she’s not Danish. You can tell that she doesn’t feel at home here, even after all those years.

Henrik had a very heavy accent as well and to the average Dane, it was more noticable since we’re more used to the sound of English than the sound of French. But his grasp of the language (the nuances and the “between the lines stuff) and his vocabulary were very good. It was really mainly the sentence melody that he struggled with and he was mocked for it for decades. Mary has far greater problems with the language but she’s hailed as the second coming and people, weirdly, buy into the hype. Henrik was pretty much always blamed for the things that people ought to blame Mosh for instead.

Star

It's literally her one and only job-to be the face of Denmark. 

And she is compensated with the highest levels of privilege and wealth. If I was in that position, I'd absolutely do whatever I could to master that language and to gain the greatest amount of understanding possible of how the culture operates.  She's done neither of these things and she's been there for fifteen years. 

It's disgraceful that she has not put forth better effort.  She has resources at her disposal that the average person who moves to a new country will never, ever have.  She should not be given any slack for this and it baffles my mind as to why people would make excuses for her. 
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1386 on: December 07, 2018, 07:13:21 PM »

A little peddle back, it is not easy for everyone to learn another / new language.
One picks it up by his or herself, just by listening and so, while others need to spend enormous amounts of time and effort in to it to grasp the basics.

But still I would think that after being in Denmark for about 15 years and all the possibilities etc. available to her, Mary would have a better understanding, feeling and such for the Danish language and culture.

Reminds me of a nice conversation with a British couple I recently had. They told that to their experiences Europeans, especially the ones from the Benelux, were at ease with and mastering several languages. And they asked me how many I spoke, which is about 4 (Dutch, English, German and a dialect (of the so called Lower Saxon language(s))). But that was nothing in comparison to an old study friend of mine, who mastered about 7. For me it is quite normal to be able to speak several languages (or at least know the basics), but according to the Brits for them this was quite unusual. Their kids would learn English and perhaps French and or Spanish. And I have noticed that for most people, who have English as 1st language, it isn't always easy to pick up another language. As most of the other people also master English to a certain level and will easily switch to English (instead of helping learn the language by continuing in their language). Off course you also have people who can't be bothered by learning another language………….

And I'll give you that, principessa, but that's now what we are talking about.

It's her skill, her attitude and her PR team hailing her as the second coming to DK regarding her status as CPs including speaking Danish.

And it's just not reality.

You are correct
Marieke

Warned
Micro Member

Belgium Belgium

Ignore
« Reply #1387 on: December 07, 2018, 07:42:09 PM »

When I see people here who don't speak Dutch or don't try even I always compare them to the people that I do know who did the effort in learning Dutch (which is a hard language to learn too) and speak it. Even if they make mistakes which is normal, I correct them and applaud them for trying.  At least they try. How can you learn a language without making mistakes.  There is just no excuse for someone who is going to be Queen consort for not speaking the language of the country that gives her too much money. If people can do it who have a job and a life, what's her excuse. She's just an ungrateful vain lazy person.
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #1388 on: December 07, 2018, 07:44:27 PM »

When I see people here who don't speak Dutch or don't try even I always compare them to the people that I do know who did the effort in learning Dutch (which is a hard language to learn too) and speak it. Even if they make mistakes which is normal, I correct them and applaud them for trying.  At least they try. How can you learn a language without making mistakes.  There is just no excuse for someone who is going to be Queen consort for not speaking the language of the country that gives her too much money. If people can do it who have a job and a life, what's her excuse. She's just an ungrateful vain lazy person.

Jumping Star

Yes!  I couldn't agree more.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1389 on: December 07, 2018, 07:46:26 PM »

When I see people here who don't speak Dutch or don't try even I always compare them to the people that I do know who did the effort in learning Dutch (which is a hard language to learn too) and speak it. Even if they make mistakes which is normal, I correct them. At least they try. There is just no excuse for someone who is going to be Queen consort for not speaking the language of the country that gives her too much money. If people can do it who have a job and a life, what's her excuse. She's just an ungrateful vain lazy person.

This year I had a short holiday in Belgium, the Flemish side/part. Even as we, the guest & the locals, both speak Dutch we still had some funny misunderstandings and such. It also lead to interesting an nice conversations with various people.

And one time a young girl was laughing aloud about:

- Pinnen - Kaart (?)
- Vast en zeker - Zeker en vast
- Zwart wit  - Wit zwart
- op kamers - op kot

and related  Grin
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1390 on: December 07, 2018, 07:48:53 PM »

Jumping Star

Yes!  I couldn't agree more.

Another I agree over here.

BTW wasn't it Paola who had a hard time speaking Dutch?
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Pitcairn Pitcairn

"The gauntlet is definitely thrown down. Stay safe

Ignore
« Reply #1391 on: December 07, 2018, 11:14:28 PM »

How come that Alex learned Danish perfectly in record time? How come that Marie speaks it extremely well? Granted, Marie is a polyglot, so it might come to her easier. Nevertheless, there are 2 people from different countries managing learning the Danish language well. It might just be that they identify with Denmark, Mary is no

PeDe-I've read that Alexandra may have had an advantage because German was her first language.  Smiley
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1392 on: December 07, 2018, 11:26:08 PM »

How come that Alex learned Danish perfectly in record time? How come that Marie speaks it extremely well? Granted, Marie is a polyglot, so it might come to her easier. Nevertheless, there are 2 people from different countries managing learning the Danish language well. It might just be that they identify with Denmark, Mary is no

PeDe-I've read that Alexandra may have had an advantage because German was her first language.  Smiley

One of her 1st languages I guess Wink
fruela

Baby Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #1393 on: December 08, 2018, 10:17:53 AM »

I remember Máxima's engagement and her reading her notes bravely. I don't understand a word of Dutch : I thought  it sounded "foreign", but gosh! the young lady did her best from the very beginning. They even greeted well-wishers outside, so I guess she spoke Dutch with those people.
Is Mary fluent or is it just her pronunciation? If she is fluent, it's OK.  Maybe her children will help her with that issue.
autumn

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #1394 on: December 08, 2018, 02:28:40 PM »

The fact that Danes in Copenhagen are fluent in English is not a good excuse. When I had the pleasure of visiting Denmark I made an effort to learn some basic phrases and words. When I asked for directions or made purchases I attempted Danish and the Danes in turn spoke to me in English since it was obvious I was a non-native. BUT I kept trying and the Danes I encountered quickly realized that I WANTED to try Danish. And you know what happened? They HELPED me. From construction workers, store clerks, the waitress in the diner. Heck, at a local pub I was given a free beer “to help loosen my tongue.” SO if Danes were that helpful to me I am quite confident they’d be there to help their CP. And one phrase I heard a lot was “Thank you for trying!”
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: