Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: William & Kate visit Norway (February 1-2)  (Read 46347 times)
Margaret

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: February 03, 2018, 01:22:03 AM »

More from Skaugum:

MM looks soooo much better without the weird scarf. I actually like this outfit and its flattering on her. This trip has been full of surprises  Tongue

It's amazing how it went from frumpy and making her look wide to sleek and stylish.  Now I understand the little belt.

Shocked Doesn't it make a huge difference without the scarf.  I think she looks great without it, and I agree about the belt.  The pleated skirt doesn't bother me at all without the scarf, for some crazy reason.  Amazing difference!  And she's wearing shoes, not boots now, which makes sense since she's indoors.   She's really lifted her game for this tour, but - as others have observed - the bar was fairly low before for both women.
AddiesGirl
Banned
Banned
Big Member

United States United States

"I am aware that you believe me insane" - Sisi

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: February 03, 2018, 01:40:36 AM »

MM's hair against a snowy backdrop reminds me of yellow snow Secret Seriously, she did look so much better without the scarf. Though it was pretty the way she wore it looked so matronly. Everything else was pretty much perfect.
Paulina

Warned
Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: February 03, 2018, 01:44:40 AM »

Comments from another of my favorite websites:

https://tomandlorenzo.com...abbana-alexander-mcqueen/

Tom and Lorenzo are fashion bloggers that got started with Project Runway. I've been reading them for about ten years. What is nice about the way they blog is their enthusiasm. They dish, but they mainly critique public appearances and are generally very positive and supportive, even when they think something isn't working. They post about the look and don't get personal. It's hard to explain but it's very funny, very spot-on, and very fair, if that makes sense.
periwinkle

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: February 03, 2018, 02:48:56 AM »

This has been a much better day. Kate and William might actually be relaxing with their Norwegian cousins. It is good to see Kate interacting with children. That dog is lovely and so is the living room maybe Kate and William can realize that your house can be chic and not be beige lol.
esther angeline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: February 03, 2018, 03:54:00 AM »

oh my

Uhm, no Kate, just no. Sonya looks wonderful, I'll just leave it at that.

Is Katie's gown:
white?
silver?
pink?

No matter what color, here's probably her inspiration:

I don't think that this cut does a pregnant woman any favours.
The cape thing gives them just the wrong proportions. Leave out the cape, and add a rather bolero style top, and the same flowy skirt style with a similar bump looks just gorgeous:

Star Star  I totally agree Kaiserin. 

Kate's gown made her look like one of those great ships under full sail.
emtishell

Large Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: February 03, 2018, 06:38:51 AM »

oh my

Is Katie's gown:
white?
silver?
pink?

The cape thing gives them just the wrong proportions. Leave out the cape, and add a rather bolero style top, and the same flowy skirt style with a similar bump looks just gorgeous:

Ahhh, you’ve triggered my memory, I knew Kate’s dress looked familiar! Its also very like the dress Madde wore to the Nobels.
Oh_Caroline

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: February 03, 2018, 07:08:07 AM »

oh my

Is Katie's gown:
white?
silver?
pink?

Ahhh, you’ve triggered my memory, I knew Kate’s dress looked familiar! Its also very like the dress Madde wore to the Nobels.

When I look at this style I image the cutout portion as an upside down u.  With Kate's they did not make the cut out wide enough so it folds over her arms and creates an odd silhouette.  I can see what they were going for but missed the mark.  I like Victoria version a bit better due to the color and the cape being behind her where it belongs.

Kate never looks good in McQueen because they don't know how to dress she regular shape and have little experience with pregnant women.   Lack of maternity brands is something that baffles me about Kate's fashion.  Go with designer that know how to dress you body type.
Larzen

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: February 03, 2018, 10:32:04 AM »

I like that MM didnot get all Valentino-ed out just because the cambridges are comming to town in what is probably the most high profile vist from royals to norway until the next time they come. Some years ago, like when Obama came, she only wore Valentino, Prada etc from top toe both days. Now something old, something new and a Norwegian dress for the dinner. The Theory jacket for lunch suits her alot, i wish she would use that neckline for dresses also
Harley
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Yemen Yemen

Team Marie all the way

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: February 03, 2018, 11:05:13 AM »

I don’t know that this is particularly “high profile”. It’s just an heir to an heir and his wife. It’s not a state’s visit. High profile, if you ask me, would be a state’s visit including a monarch. Or a visit from a Crown Princely couple as the next best thing.

This is as relevant as if Ingrid Alexandra went somewhere on vacation. Or Christian or Estelle. They’re titled but they’re minors.

Phina

Large Member

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: February 03, 2018, 11:16:29 AM »

I don’t know that this is particularly “high profile”. It’s just an heir to an heir and his wife. It’s not a state’s visit. High profile, if you ask me, would be a state’s visit including a monarch. Or a visit from a Crown Princely couple as the next best thing.

This is as relevant as if Ingrid Alexandra went somewhere on vacation. Or Christian or Estelle. They’re titled but they’re minors.

Thumb up  These visits feel like a 'practice run' for the real thing.  Plus, it gets media attention and that gives it a veneer of relevance.  It's perhaps easy to think of it as high profile or important because generationally William and Kate are the same age range as immediate heirs like Haakon and Victoria and so it looks like a parallel.  You're right, it's the equivalent of little Estelle's official engagement when she received a toy swan.
genever
Banned
Banned
Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: February 03, 2018, 01:43:20 PM »

I suspect that Haakon and MM are a bit more outgoing and gregarious than Vic and Dan. Also remember MM was born a commoner, as was Kate so they have that in common. Those class distinctions are generally more important to the Brits than to the Scandinavians, I suspect, but maybe that made Kate more comfortable with her. Vic and Dan are both lovely but I suspect a little more introverted and generally connect more with each other than with others. And as others have pointed out Vic didn't seem on her game, due to recovering from flu.

I think Mette-Marit probably has a very nice personality. Of all of the 'royal' ladies of her generation, she and Mathilde of Belgium seem to be the ones around whom the others are most comfortable.
Larzen

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: February 03, 2018, 07:47:13 PM »

Presswise i dont think it gets more high profile here. Nrk TV has shown the whole visit live. A state visit from philippe, wa or Felipe would get a couple of minutes on the news maximum, and maybe the arrival ceremony and speeches online. Not even a visit from Denmark or Sweden could match this. So many people at the palace i have never seen for a state visit
AddiesGirl
Banned
Banned
Big Member

"I am aware that you believe me insane" - Sisi

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: February 03, 2018, 08:02:31 PM »

Presswise i dont think it gets more high profile here. Nrk TV has shown the whole visit live. A state visit from philippe, wa or Felipe would get a couple of minutes on the news maximum, and maybe the arrival ceremony and speeches online. Not even a visit from Denmark or Sweden could match this. So many people at the palace i have never seen for a state visit

Interesting, thank you for a local insight. I had the feeling that this was a big deal visit from the start, I think someone commented that it seemed like a state dinner minus the tiaras.

I don't think these visits are as much about the participants rank as they are about who the participants are representing. That was the feeling I got anyway.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: February 03, 2018, 08:33:47 PM »

I think the big difference is that internationally Kate and William are simply a cut above other royals, no matter their rank. Here in Germany, QEII is "the Queen" (or in German: die Queen) and while those that are interested in royalty know about the other royal families, those who don't, might know about Silvia, the QueenBee (though not likely know that WA is now on the throne) but they sure all know about Diana's son William and Kate.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Diamond Lil

Gigantic Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: February 03, 2018, 09:06:45 PM »

I think the big difference is that internationally Kate and William are simply a cut above other royals, no matter their rank. Here in Germany, QEII is "the Queen" (or in German: die Queen) and while those that are interested in royalty know about the other royal families, those who don't, might know about Silvia, the QueenBee (though not likely know that WA is now on the throne) but they sure all know about Diana's son William and Kate.

You're right, fairy.  It's not about rank, but exposure.  Most people I know haven't got a clue about the European royals, but they all know who Kate and William are, and are interested in them to a degree, if only because they're Diana's son and daughter-in-law.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: