Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: William & Kate visit Norway (February 1-2)  (Read 43109 times)
Olya

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: February 03, 2018, 10:17:59 PM »

I think the big difference is that internationally Kate and William are simply a cut above other royals, no matter their rank. Here in Germany, QEII is "the Queen" (or in German: die Queen) and while those that are interested in royalty know about the other royal families, those who don't, might know about Silvia, the QueenBee (though not likely know that WA is now on the throne) but they sure all know about Diana's son William and Kate.

This is very true, and imo it is a(nother) lasting Diana-effect: having put the Windsors so on the map, that even casual or non-observers know who they are and have the word "queen" almost synonymous with Liz. I admit I wasn't even born before Diana hit the scene, but to me it looks very much like it is a Diana-effect, I think the only "royals" a large audience cared about or was exposed to (mostly the glamour) were Diana and Grace, and in extension their children. Grace's children were "it" during their younger years, much like Diana's were (and still are - just not as much anymore as in the past), though with each new year (or rather decade) and each new generation the obsession lessens, but remains with the main attraction: So so many Diana and Grace Kelly fans still out there, with new books and pics and films made rather often.
And it's not like only the Brits were impactful, as noted on the other thread, Victoria of UK was the "grandmother of Europe", whilst Christian IX of Denmark was the "father-in-law" of Europe, nevermind many other rich histories with so many families (still on the throne) at the helm.
Paulina

Warned
Large Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: February 03, 2018, 11:58:15 PM »

This is very true, and imo it is a(nother) lasting Diana-effect: having put the Windsors so on the map, that even casual or non-observers know who they are and have the word "queen" almost synonymous with Liz. I admit I wasn't even born before Diana hit the scene,
[/quote]

Suddenly, I feel very old, being 15 when Diana hit the scene.

Olya

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: February 04, 2018, 12:05:49 AM »

This is very true, and imo it is a(nother) lasting Diana-effect: having put the Windsors so on the map, that even casual or non-observers know who they are and have the word "queen" almost synonymous with Liz. I admit I wasn't even born before Diana hit the scene,

[/quote]

Don't, ageing can be shyte, but age is just a number Wink Many ladies your age are fantastic and even better than when younger! I think (hope!) we all age like fine wine and take it in stride Champagne
Nuno

Humongous Member

Portugal Portugal

Felipe, Leti: where are you?

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: February 04, 2018, 01:14:44 AM »

This trip was actually a huge improvement for Kate styling. She looks far better and more professional now than ever. Some ugly dresses there, but overall she looks good and committed which is nice to see.

Visit us https://a-minha-vida-afinal-deu-um-blog.webnode.pt

"You can call me Happiness...yes Queen Happiness. It sounds great!" - Queen Letizia, Red Cross 150th Anniversary Wink

"Hey Cristina, I'm the Queen now :D"
Paulina

Warned
Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: February 04, 2018, 01:21:38 AM »

Don't, ageing can be shyte, but age is just a number Wink Many ladies your age are fantastic and even better than when younger! I think (hope!) we all age like fine wine and take it in stride Champagne

LOL. That's me, aging like fine wine.  Champagne I love the variety of ages on this board. It's the only board I comment on.
[/quote]
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: February 04, 2018, 01:21:59 PM »

[/quote]
Move over, old bird, if your bones permit, I'd like to park my wheelie walker here too. Olya, I think, the Queen has always had a more prominent position here. Certainly already before Diana, but that media frenzy certainly cemented the spotlight.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Ghost

Small Member

Romania Romania

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: February 04, 2018, 02:51:06 PM »

Move over, old bird, if your bones permit, I'd like to park my wheelie walker here too. Olya, I think, the Queen has always had a more prominent position here. Certainly already before Diana, but that media frenzy certainly cemented the spotlight.

[/quote]

Beer That's MY senior parking space!  Star for my fellow ladies!
esther angeline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: February 04, 2018, 03:10:18 PM »

Star to Fairy, Olya , Ghost and even Paulina the baby of the group!  I am the grandma of us all: I am 6 years older than Diana.  Cry No Confused. I OWN the senior parking lot!  
Ghost

Small Member

Romania Romania

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: February 04, 2018, 04:04:40 PM »

Star to Fairy, Olya , Ghost and even Paulina the baby of the group!  I am the grandma of us all: I am 6 years older than Diana.  Cry No Confused. I OWN the senior parking lot!  

Which makes you the inspiration behind the Rolling Stones' "Angie"!!!
 Star
You are the starest of the board today!   
DejaVu

Warned
Small Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: February 04, 2018, 04:37:09 PM »

OK, in this exclusive little circle I can admit that I was in the jubilant crowd when the Queen visited Hamburg in the sixties. I was not yet in school back then. My mother used to tell me that I cheered so enthusiastically that a camera team wanted to film a close-up with me but I refused.

I do not remember the event but the reaction is typical for me.  Cool (-> Flipping the bird at cameras, not so much the shouting and cheering)

Paulina

Warned
Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: February 04, 2018, 06:54:53 PM »

I am so comforted to know I'm not alone in the "old" or middle aged lady senior crowd.  Fortunately, interest in royals spans many generations.  Yes
esther angeline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: February 04, 2018, 08:36:44 PM »

I am so comforted to know I'm not alone in the "old" or middle aged lady senior crowd.  Fortunately, interest in royals spans many generations.  Yes

Champagne Champagne
Margaret

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: February 04, 2018, 09:29:06 PM »

That senior parking lot better have a spare space, because I qualify and my arthritic knees are playing up with the wet weather today.  Champagne
Little_star
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: February 05, 2018, 03:52:10 PM »

I'm surprised to see that this visit is getting so much praise, it had less substance than some of Fred and Mary's trips and that is saying something!

The whole thing just seemed incredibly superficial and shallow to me.

(img)http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/2017-03-07%2023.04.19.png(/img)
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: February 05, 2018, 08:15:03 PM »

I'm surprised to see that this visit is getting so much praise, it had less substance than some of Fred and Mary's trips and that is saying something!

The whole thing just seemed incredibly superficial and shallow to me.

I completely agree.  Star  I fail to see what was accomplished on these visits (besides posing and advertising clothes).
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: