Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 101   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle: Wedding Information and Details  (Read 168877 times)
Jonathan

Gigantic Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Life's hard being fabulous

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2018, 03:10:10 PM »

Totally agree. I suspect that the royals, if any, that come to the wedding will be ones that Harry knows personally.

The Queen made the decision that all minor royals would get married anywhere but London partly because of the cost to the tax payer. Kind of her!

Little Star is quite correct. The policing bill for P Williams wedding was £20 million ish.

This family has very little relevance for many people here let alone other countries. There is another church on the Windsor Estate. It they really want to save the taxpayer cash then have it there.

I doubt it the 1900 guests are 'friends' of the happy couple. A lot of the 'very' minor royals have had low key weddings. Why should Harrys be any different.

Advice to my Brother on his wedding day

Never say

I know you do
I've had better
Did you say something
Jonathan

Gigantic Member

Life's hard being fabulous

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2018, 03:13:55 PM »

If anyone is interested then Republic are running an on-line campaign to make the royals to not use tax payers money for this wedding. 

Advice to my Brother on his wedding day

Never say

I know you do
I've had better
Did you say something
Little_star
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2018, 03:17:13 PM »

If anyone is interested then Republic are running an on-line campaign to make the royals to not use tax payers money for this wedding. 

Already shown my support for it.  Wink

(img)http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/2017-03-07%2023.04.19.png(/img)
Oh_Caroline

Small Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2018, 03:25:58 PM »

Remember that as so as Wills was declared a bank holiday the policing bill doubled due to overtime rates.   If money was really a deciding factor to Harry's then there would be no leaving the castle grounds.   The carriage procession has just sent the police requirements and therefore the bill sky rocketing.

I wonder how a weekend vs weekday affects the policing costs.

I think Windsor was chosen due to the fact that they just couldn't get away with London after the backlash to the cost, not because the BRF was feeling nice.
Little_star
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2018, 03:38:01 PM »

Remember that as so as Wills was declared a bank holiday the policing bill doubled due to overtime rates.   If money was really a deciding factor to Harry's then there would be no leaving the castle grounds.   The carriage procession has just sent the police requirements and therefore the bill sky rocketing.

I wonder how a weekend vs weekday affects the policing costs.

I think Windsor was chosen due to the fact that they just couldn't get away with London after the backlash to the cost, not because the BRF was feeling nice.

Personally I always found it odd that William got married at Westminster Abbey, particularly after Charles and Camilla had married at Windsor.

The cost of road closures in Central London, as opposed to Windsor, will be higher so that is one cost saving. They will still need to pay overtime I suspect so that won't be particularly economical.

(img)http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/2017-03-07%2023.04.19.png(/img)
SouthernBelle

Big Member

With my thumbs I like to think I'm probably useful

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2018, 05:13:54 PM »

Do royal weddings bring in a lot of money? I would think plane tickets and hotel rooms would cost more than at other times so I can't imagine many people traveling to England just to stand outside and watch the procession pass by.

Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2018, 05:32:51 PM »

Totally agree. I suspect that the royals, if any, that come to the wedding will be ones that Harry knows personally.

The Queen made the decision that all minor royals would get married anywhere but London partly because of the cost to the tax payer. Kind of her!

Little Star is quite correct. The policing bill for P Williams wedding was £20 million ish.

This family has very little relevance for many people here let alone other countries. There is another church on the Windsor Estate. It they really want to save the taxpayer cash then have it there.

I doubt it the 1900 guests are 'friends' of the happy couple. A lot of the 'very' minor royals have had low key weddings. Why should Harrys be any different.

Star
Oh_Caroline

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2018, 06:25:05 PM »

Do royal weddings bring in a lot of money? I would think plane tickets and hotel rooms would cost more than at other times so I can't imagine many people traveling to England just to stand outside and watch the procession pass by.

According to the Wikipedia page for W&K's wedding:

"Estimates of the cost to the economy of extra public holidays, such as that allowed for the wedding, vary between £1.2 billion and £6 billion. The British government tourist authority VisitBritain predicted the wedding would trigger a tourism boom that would last several years, eventually pulling in an additional 4 million visitors and generating £2 billion. However, VisitBritain's head of research and forecasting, David Edwards, suggested to colleagues two days after the engagement was announced that the evidence points to royal weddings having a negative impact on inbound tourism. He noted that the number of visitors to Britain was down significantly in July 1981, when Prince Charles and Diana were married, from the same period in other years, and also July 1986, when Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson were married, was down from July 1985."
Paulina

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2018, 06:36:32 PM »

Please, please let the Obamas be invited. Whistle

I am absolutely certain that this will not be a popular viewpoint here, but if I were a British citizen, I would prefer if the Obama's were not invited. IMO there is no way to do it without it being political.

You are probably right, it would be seen as political by some, but since it's not a state wedding, they can invite whoever they want. There is clearly a fond relationship between the Obamas and Harry and William that goes back a while. Too many people walk on eggshells in the current climate.

There is a famous book with that title about how to deal with borderline personality types and narcissistic abusers.
luvcharles

Warned
Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2018, 09:34:49 PM »

I don't know about all hotels but I am glad I had booked and paid for my hotel in London that weekend nearly a year ago (long before the engagement announcement) as the cost is now double for the Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights that weekend. I have heard that every hotel room in Windsor is now fully booked - which is highly unusual for early to mid-May.

I do know a group of over 60 people who are going to London especially for the wedding and they do that for every major royal event. They plan their visits to the UK and then often to somewhere in Europe solely to go to royal events in Britain. Their last visit was for the Queen's 90th birthday church service and Trooping weekend for instance and they have a 'contingency fund' for a major funeral. I have been asked to join that group when I retire and may do so as I do enjoy their company but I am limited to doing trips due to work at the moment. This year they are adding a week on a Greek island for their 'European add-on'.
Curtains

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2018, 09:50:43 PM »

Iím a non-executive director of a somewhat recognizable institution with a lovely property on Parliament Square, and presently in London for a board meeting. We decided to move our May meeting to our satellite location, even though itís two weeks after the Harry wedding. The organization did that for the W & K wedding. While we have had the opportunity to lease out portions of our property to media, we wonít and didnít. Businesses affected by proximity, other than the coffee mug makers, find the economic stress of a royal wedding.

"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic: but I had a good life, all the way." - Jimmy Buffet, America's premiere poet
wisdomheaven

Humongous Member

Probably don't know what timezone I am in.

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2018, 10:10:36 PM »

There is a 50% chance I will be in London for work during the wedding and will join some coworkers who are going to Windsor for it, if I am there. But o kind of prefer to just watch on TV tbh. It’s an atmosphere vs detail situation.

I also know some people who moved their plans for a vacation to around the wedding so they can be there. They are staying with friends near Windsor so cost wasn’t an issue. They are not royal watchers at all but are just excited about Meghan/a royal wedding.
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2018, 02:33:32 AM »

Still, that only means something within the commonwealth.

Well, Harry's a member of the BRF (and three of the people ahead of him in the succession are under five). If it comes to that all Royal families only mean something to the people of the particular country they represent. The Queen is Head of the Commonwealth, which actually represents billions of people and 54 countries, though I don't know what that has to do with Harry getting married at St George's.

Madeleine of Sweden was behind Victoria and Estelle and Carl Philip and still got a royal wedding, for example. Or are these Royal families only allowed to marry in Royal Chapels and have carriage rides if they're the direct heir, whether their families want a special wedding for them or not?

So when Wax and Max's younger daughters get married it will only be the heir who gets the Cathedral, the rest can slope of to a registry office somewhere, is that right and that will be OK with their parents? And Isabella of Denmark can say goodbye to any Royal wedding in a twenty or so years time, same thing.

It is the height of ethnocentricity to assume that the BRF is important to people world-wide. The very definition of it, in fact, when this statement is made to someone who comes from a country with their own royal family.  The DRF are no less royal or important than the BRF.  This is an absolute fact. The BRF may be important to you, but this is not a universal truth.
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2018, 02:40:11 AM »

IF major CP couples are invited, it is will more than likely be at the direction of higher ups in the family, not Harry or Meghan, I would imagine.

Frankly, IMO I think its strange to fixate so much on comparable ranks across families/whether Harry is the spare spare spare/etc. The Euro royals attend weddings for other royal families even for people far down the line of succession.

I think royal watchers put more weight on rank and such than the actual royals do sometimes.

Well, since this idiot and his brother and their partners and their deceased mother are literally dragged all over this board ad nauseam, and used as the standard base of comparison to the heirs on the continent (despite the fact that they are above W&H&Co and not their peers), this discussion point is a way to combat the rampant ethnocentrism that puts this family on a pedestal. It is boring and ridiculous to have to read in the Fred and Mary threads discussion about the Windsors.  There are very few rules on this board, but most of them stem from the Windsors.   Roll Eyes 

The "fixation" on rank will stop when the ethnocentrism stops (not directed at you, WH, but to the dozens of members who continuously do this in every section but the appropriate one).
Barrie

Most Exalted Member

Canada Canada

Rufus loves Royal Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2018, 03:44:32 AM »

Still interested to see who will be her maid/matron of honour. One thing about Meghan is that she does have friends still that are separate from Harry's group that she has been introduced to.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 101   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: