Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mary's Jewellery  (Read 315973 times)
emtishell

Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #900 on: January 22, 2022, 03:29:16 AM »

We have the details:

A diamond jewellery set comprising a necklace and a pair of later ear screws set with numerous rose and old mine-cut diamonds, circular-cut rubies and spinels, mounted in 14k gold and silver. L. necklace 47 cm. L. ear screws 3 cm. One stone missing. Circa 1900–1910. (3)

The necklace was originally used as a tiara. Accompanied by a case.

Additional Remarks
Payment is possible only by credit card in the salesroom or by bank transfer.

Auction
Jewellery and wristwatches, 1 March 2012

Category
Jewellery ▸ Jewellery

Estimate
30,000–40,000 DKK

Sold
1 March 2012 at 5:25 pm

Price realised
DKK 60,000 ($9143.69)

and because the earrings were not enough of a statement piece, she got herself a new set

I'm probably in a minority but I like this tiara.  I think it looks charming both as a necklace and a tiara, and boy that's rare.  It's not a huge statement piece, but for me, that's its charm.  (Frankly I'm kind of surprised Mary went for it, but I suppose she got what she could afford; it was reasonably priced.) 

I hate the new earrings though. 

Considering her tiara choices were her awful wedding tiara, or the ruby, this is a nice in between choice. I don’t blame her for buying it, but surprised she went for more rubies, rather than a different stone. She needs (IMO) an aquamarine one, to go with the lovely aquas Fred bought her for a wedding present. The DRF don’t have one, so it would be a good investment.

To be honest, the Danish tiara’s are mostly dang ugly (with the exception of the pearl poire and the floral aigrette), and the best ones were given away!
Konradin

Small Member

Argentina Argentina

“Après moi le déluge”

Ignore
« Reply #901 on: February 02, 2022, 01:57:35 PM »

Daisy's test in jewels is... controversial to say the least, I mean, the poppies anyone!?  Crap They could get plug to BATTERIES and turn on like a normal lamp, I mean, a tiara WITH BATTERIES, only in Daisy's realm. And then the Naasut which I get it, it is linked to Greenland but yet another tiara that matches Daisy's teeth. I know, I know, I'm stopping now.  Halo

Mary's taste, on the other side, goes mostly into the classic realm, she favours what her Scandinavian counterparts, minus Sonya, do. Classic jewelry that would go with mostly everything, and again, something I wrote last year, there isn't much in the Danish vault to choose. Daisy does not share what she has, she was given a necklace turn into a tiara that basically is even smaller than what Mathilde of Belgium got. Luckily Ingrid was on hand to pass on the rubies for otherwise she would have do to with just that.

Silently, over the years, she was building a collection, something highly needed when you have 2 princesses of your own you would have to provide tiaras for events in the next 10 years, Isabella and Josephine would both need one, the wedding tiara might be one starting for one of them, and then the Daisies' aquamarine bandeau can do it too but that is it. Plus, bear in mind Ingrid left one very important tiara, I would say the most important one she had, minus the rubies, to Anne-Marie, the Cartier, and then to Benedicta, so you have 4 tiaras less, the pearls and stars might have been a very nice tiara, notwithstanding the fact, especially compared with Máxima in her wedding, and how well that looked against a veil. Daisy also had her own share of bad decisions in the tiara department by giving instead of lending for life a very important one to Alexandra, that one is not coming back to the main line, and I'm sure it would hit the auction block when she dies, unless other arrangements are made by her children, again, I don't think it would go to Jokke's grandchildren for the taxes online would be too much.

As I wrote before, I'm sure, considering what she could save, and what the market might allow, Mary would do as much as possible as to buy 2 more tiaras, even 3 I would say, and much more black tie events jewelry to cover the gaps in the collection. It might just look like taxpayers' money being spent on whims but it isn't just that. Denmark might be one of the oldest monarchies in Europe, if not the eldest, but when it comes to bling, it just couldn't compete, and it need to create a collection to match it. I do hope too some jewels might even get into a foundation in time to avoid being sold in the future. And, as others said, that tiara that look cheap, with small rubies, old diamonds, and garnets, has increased its value by being worn by Mary. So we shall see how this plays, in any case, these questions would be answered once she becomes queen consort, that will also increase her access to funds but I doubt a queen could buy as privately as a princess did.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 02:02:45 PM by Konradin » Logged
JessicaM

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #902 on: February 02, 2022, 03:02:38 PM »

I do not like much about Mary but I like that she buys jewels for herself, espcially the antique ones (not a fan of the Dulong pieces).

The tiara was a very good investment. The price was, compared to other tiaras, really great and the prices of tiaras went up quite much since buying it.

I actually like this tiara, its a nice medium-sized tiara which was quite affordable.

And I love the antique amethyst brooch:

Antique Amethyst/Diamond brooch - provenance unknown

I would not be surprised if she has bought this at an auction, too.
Harley
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Denmark Denmark

Team Marie all the way

Ignore
« Reply #903 on: February 02, 2022, 04:24:14 PM »

Some of her auction pieces are nice. I’d probably feel better about them if I hadn’t funded her spending.

Konradin

Small Member

Argentina Argentina

“Après moi le déluge”

Ignore
« Reply #904 on: February 02, 2022, 05:32:35 PM »

Her purchases seem to follow a pattern, she buys them and they remain dormant for a couple of years until she uses them.
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #905 on: February 06, 2022, 08:42:18 PM »

January 21
Daisy's 50th anniversary

Initially, I thought she was wearing the

NEW 50th Jubilee Anniversary Brooch by GEORG JENSEN = DKK 3,500.00 = $524.04

but now I think she's gotten the same anniversary brooch that Daisy is wearing, which is of course much more expensive

18K gold with Diamonds

PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #906 on: February 06, 2022, 08:43:47 PM »

February 3
Jylland Posten Interview

NEW Boho Ring in 18 karat yellow gold/w Turquoise, Ehiopian Opal, and Diamonds by OLE LYNGGAARD = $9,850.00

Konradin

Small Member

Argentina Argentina

“Après moi le déluge”

Ignore
« Reply #907 on: February 23, 2022, 06:15:15 PM »

Daisy has been very generous as of late, Marie got the floral tiara, or at least so does the book says, and The Court Jeweller confirms as much; plus, Mary finally got very old, and nice gifts, the turquoise earrings, and the brooch, sadly not the bandeau but still, this is very nice and generous from Daisy's part.

You can read the whole story in The Court Jeweller: https://www.thecourtjewel...eweled-birthday-gift.html
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 06:20:30 PM by Konradin » Logged
Larzen

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #908 on: February 23, 2022, 07:57:28 PM »

Imagine having jewellery from Cathrine the great …🥰
The earrings are very pretty and usable, the brooch rather heavy.

But im glad Margrethe is starting to share more. When you are a 80 pluss chainsmoker your jewellery wearing days will not last forever. And it much more interesting to see historic jewellery than the overprized trinkets Marie is buying or the complete Ole lyngaard collection(however beautiful) Mary is purchasing…

Margrethe has a big collection, but some of the pieces, especially those from Henrik, is quite, shal we say unique…

I Wonder how her private collection will be divided between her sons when that time comes. Queen Ingrid did give important pieces to her two younger daughters also.
Konradin

Small Member

Argentina Argentina

“Après moi le déluge”

Ignore
« Reply #909 on: February 23, 2022, 08:16:26 PM »

I don't think there will be much dividing honestly, starting with the fact that leaving more tiaras to Jokke would mean depriving Mary, and in future Christian's wife, of much to wear. Now, regarding Daisy's adquired/gifted pieces, well, let's say some of them are ugly, there is no way around it. I mean, the poppies, anyone!?  Crazy

The brooch could be divided in 2, check the original post from TCJ, so that is something, and Margrethe likes to play with her jewels. I know Mary does that too.
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #910 on: February 24, 2022, 03:29:04 AM »

Daisy has been very generous as of late, Marie got the floral tiara, or at least so does the book says, and The Court Jeweller confirms as much; plus, Mary finally got very old, and nice gifts, the turquoise earrings, and the brooch, sadly not the bandeau but still, this is very nice and generous from Daisy's part.

You can read the whole story in The Court Jeweller: https://www.thecourtjewel...eweled-birthday-gift.html

Yrma doesn't need Daisy's bandeau tiara - she has this necklace, that I guarantee you she will muddle into some kind of tiara to go with those earrings/stomacher/brooch.

Larzen

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #911 on: February 24, 2022, 08:32:01 AM »

That necklace is nice for a summerparty, but it looks like its bought at a beach in Ibiza, and not really a great match to a brooch from Cathrine the great IMO.

Atleast Margrethe i starting share more, Alexandra did not get much in the way of historic jewels to wear besides the tiara (which should have been a loan, or given to Joachim instead, what a loss, as it is just so special, light and elegant) Joachims wifes has really gotten two very pretty tiaras from Margrethes collection.

Queen Sonja hardly shares anything, or her daughter and daughter in law are not interested in jewels, who knows, but historic jewels from Queen Maud which was turned in after Princess Ragnhilds death has been in the vault for ten years now unused....I hope very much they bring it out for the celebration of Ingrid in june.

Queen Paola who dont attend gala events anymore also could share more with Queen Mathilde of what she has, the belgian collection is not much to begin with, and she also has a beautiful granddaughter over 18 now.

Queen Sofia also has a nice private collection  which she could share more of so, Queen Letzia did not have to wear the the two historic diamond bracelets to so many "lesser" events that they become less special.
emtishell

Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #912 on: February 24, 2022, 10:34:24 AM »

I don't think there will be much dividing honestly, starting with the fact that leaving more tiaras to Jokke would mean depriving Mary, and in future Christian's wife, of much to wear. Now, regarding Daisy's adquired/gifted pieces, well, let's say some of them are ugly, there is no way around it. I mean, the poppies, anyone!?  Crazy

The brooch could be divided in 2, check the original post from TCJ, so that is something, and Margrethe likes to play with her jewels. I know Mary does that too.

I do believe that all the Danish tiaras will stay with the Crown. There is no need for Athena to have one, and even Izzy and Josie. I can see Mary wearing the pearl poire, and the aigrette, maybe even the emeralds. But the others are too small for her.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #913 on: February 24, 2022, 11:50:49 AM »

That necklace is nice for a summerparty, but it looks like its bought at a beach in Ibiza, and not really a great match to a brooch from Cathrine the great IMO.

Atleast Margrethe i starting share more, Alexandra did not get much in the way of historic jewels to wear besides the tiara (which should have been a loan, or given to Joachim instead, what a loss, as it is just so special, light and elegant) Joachims wifes has really gotten two very pretty tiaras from Margrethes collection.

Queen Sonja hardly shares anything, or her daughter and daughter in law are not interested in jewels, who knows, but historic jewels from Queen Maud which was turned in after Princess Ragnhilds death has been in the vault for ten years now unused....I hope very much they bring it out for the celebration of Ingrid in june.

Queen Paola who dont attend gala events anymore also could share more with Queen Mathilde of what she has, the belgian collection is not much to begin with, and she also has a beautiful granddaughter over 18 now.

Queen Sofia also has a nice private collection  which she could share more of so, Queen Letzia did not have to wear the the two historic diamond bracelets to so many "lesser" events that they become less special.

I think the Dutch solution would be an option.

In the Netherlands, the House of Orange-Nassau owns jewels that were first referred to as "crown jewels" at the time of King Willem III, in 1853. Previously there was talk of family jewellery, house diamonds and house jewellery. Queen Anna Pavlovna had it recorded that the jewelry she left to her eldest son "may only be worn by the Queen". These collections were nevertheless regularly distributed and part of the historical jewelry ended up as an inheritance or dowry in Sweden, Denmark, Prussia, Weimar and France (Louis XVII).

A solution was sought to prevent further fragmentation of the collection through inheritance and sale. Establishing a Fideï committee is prohibited by law in the Netherlands and Queen Juliana realized that her jewelery collection would one day have to be divided by four (between her 4 daughters). That is why in 1963 a foundation "Regalia of the House of Orange-Nassau" was established. In 1968 the "Kroongoed", "Kroonjewelen" and "Regalia" foundations were established. The same solution was chosen in Sweden, Portugal and Thailand.

It means the jewels can be used by various (active) members of the Dutch RF, but stay part of the crown. They are not divided by inheritance and such.

Besides there are still jewelry that was divided. If I am correct all 4 daughters of Juliana got som "personal" jewelry.

Konradin

Small Member

Argentina Argentina

“Après moi le déluge”

Ignore
« Reply #914 on: February 24, 2022, 11:08:22 PM »

Queen Sofia also has a nice private collection  which she could share more of so, Queen Letzia did not have to wear the the two historic diamond bracelets to so many "lesser" events that they become less special.

M-M never cared much for jewels, Daisy on the other hand had 3, now 2, d-i-l who love them, and would welcome the chance to dig into the vaults, and use them, even if a one term long basis. Alas, Margrethe didn't think as much. Paola didn't have that much to share with, she handled the bandeau with the arches, and that was it, she has the Elisabeth bandeau that once, I hope, would grace her daughter, and Belgium's future queen's head. Luckily Fabiola did leave Mathilde a brooch, some earrings, and that necklace that could be converted into a tiara. If the rumours are true, she still has the ducal tiara, why she hasn't used it yet? Go figure.

I didn't know about that necklace but I agree, it doesn't cut the necklace-doubles-as-tiara, not really, not even Mary could pull that, especially given how much both her neighbours had.

I don't think there will be much dividing honestly, starting with the fact that leaving more tiaras to Jokke would mean depriving Mary, and in future Christian's wife, of much to wear. Now, regarding Daisy's adquired/gifted pieces, well, let's say some of them are ugly, there is no way around it. I mean, the poppies, anyone!?  Crazy

I do believe that all the Danish tiaras will stay with the Crown. There is no need for Athena to have one, and even Izzy and Josie. I can see Mary wearing the pearl poire, and the aigrette, maybe even the emeralds. But the others are too small for her.

The tiaras Queen Alexandrine left to other members of the DRF never made the way back to the Soverain's royal box, Ingrid, by leaving the Cartier to Anne-Marie, and the stars and pearls to Benedikta just left Daisy with much less. Daisy then made the situation even more impossible by giving a tiara, a very nice one at that, to Alexandra, and now the floral one went to Marie. None of them would ever be bought back, the Danes aren't rich and those tiaras would gather much more money in an auction block that whatever Fred, or should the time come, Christian could gather to buy them back. I mean, the taxes alone would be enough reason to make them sell it that way. So far, all the relatives from minor dead Danes' royals have done so.

As for the poppies, you lost me at a tiara, or whatever you want to call that hideous thing, that could be plugged to batteries. Maybe... HUGE one, sorry, maybe Mary could make them work by using the poppies, not all at once, and without the lights, sorry, can't help myself.  Secret One at a time might work but I am not yet convinced. The Naassut is absolutely awful as well but I get it was a gift from Greenland, and as such, it has to be kept, and used, from time to time.

Queen Sofia also has a nice private collection  which she could share more of so, Queen Letzia did not have to wear the the two historic diamond bracelets to so many "lesser" events that they become less special.

I think the Dutch solution would be an option.

In the Netherlands, the House of Orange-Nassau owns jewels that were first referred to as "crown jewels" at the time of King Willem III, in 1853. Previously there was talk of family jewellery, house diamonds and house jewellery. Queen Anna Pavlovna had it recorded that the jewelry she left to her eldest son "may only be worn by the Queen". These collections were nevertheless regularly distributed and part of the historical jewelry ended up as an inheritance or dowry in Sweden, Denmark, Prussia, Weimar and France (Louis XVII).

A solution was sought to prevent further fragmentation of the collection through inheritance and sale. Establishing a Fideï committee is prohibited by law in the Netherlands and Queen Juliana realized that her jewelery collection would one day have to be divided by four (between her 4 daughters). That is why in 1963 a foundation "Regalia of the House of Orange-Nassau" was established. In 1968 the "Kroongoed", "Kroonjewelen" and "Regalia" foundations were established. The same solution was chosen in Sweden, Portugal and Thailand.

It means the jewels can be used by various (active) members of the Dutch RF, but stay part of the crown. They are not divided by inheritance and such.

Besides there are still jewelry that was divided. If I am correct all 4 daughters of Juliana got som "personal" jewelry.

Denmark has already a foundation, but alas, just for a the Pearl Poiré parure, Queen Louise made sure of that, sadly, that is all they have, plus, of course, the emeralds, and all the hair ornaments, and the rest of the demi parures that are the crown jewels.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 11:16:30 PM by Konradin » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: