Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kate has a boy!  (Read 84938 times)
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #195 on: April 25, 2018, 11:34:48 AM »

Speaking of the costs of giving birth - this shocks me Yikes

https://www.economist.com...il/2018/04/daily-chart-14

Little_star
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: April 25, 2018, 11:40:04 AM »

Which part?

The cost of the Lindo Wing or the cost of the average birth in the US?!  Yikes

(img)http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/2017-03-07%2023.04.19.png(/img)
Ellie

Warned
Ginormous Member

proud moron thx Scooby Doo

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: April 25, 2018, 11:44:54 AM »

Insurance covers pretty much all of it for most people. We had pretty mediocre insurance and paid out of pocket I think $2000 for all of it including my prenatal care. Also here in the US we stay on average 2-3 days for a vaginal birth in the hospital and up to a week for a C-section. It doesn't seem like women in the UK stay in the hospital as long as we do post-birth which drives up costs.

It IS ridiculous though, cost-wise.

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #198 on: April 25, 2018, 11:49:03 AM »

Which part?

The cost of the average birth in the US Yikes
lothwen

Warned
Big Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: April 25, 2018, 11:53:36 AM »

Which part?

My hospital.stay for my son was $23k. Luckily, because our insurance is pretty good,  we only have to pay $300.
Little_star
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: April 25, 2018, 11:53:45 AM »

Insurance covers pretty much all of it for most people. We had pretty mediocre insurance and paid out of pocket I think $2000 for all of it including my prenatal care. Also here in the US we stay on average 2-3 days for a vaginal birth in the hospital and up to a week for a C-section. It doesn't seem like women in the UK stay in the hospital as long as we do post-birth which drives up costs.

But there isn't any after care in the US AFAIK? We have midwives and health visitors who will have regular visits at home with new Mums after the birth. Plus there are lots of community based projects like baby sensory etc that new Mums are able to attend, often for free.

If a woman requires medical attention and needs to stay in hospital after a birth then they will. But most women don't and are usually well enough to go home. I guess it's cultural differences but I don't see why a woman would stay in hospital after a birth if she didn't need to.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 12:09:47 PM by Little_star » Logged

(img)http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/2017-03-07%2023.04.19.png(/img)
emtishell

Large Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: April 25, 2018, 12:00:19 PM »

I had all mine in small, community, public hospitals (as a private patient) and paid nothing..... and I had wonderful care every time.
sal89

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: April 25, 2018, 12:34:31 PM »

Wow. And here I was thinking that Kate was nice.

Not particularly.

I know two people who have had personal interactions with her and nice was not the way they described her. Snare

Interesting! I know a few people who have met her and have said the exact opposite.
wisdomheaven

Humongous Member

Probably don't know what timezone I am in.

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: April 25, 2018, 01:35:08 PM »

But there isn't any after care in the US AFAIK? We have midwives and health visitors who will have regular visits at home with new Mums after the birth. Plus there are lots of community based projects like baby sensory etc that new Mums are able to attend, often for free.

If a woman requires medical attention and needs to stay in hospital after a birth then they will. But most women don't and are usually well enough to go home. I guess it's cultural differences but I don't see why a woman would stay in hospital after a birth if she didn't need to.

Excuse the novel below, this subject is one I am passionate about...

No, we do not have health visitors or midwives do home visits, generally. Some cities are starting programs in that vein for underserved women to try to lower infant mortality in parts of the US and maternal mortality and more and more women are using doulas who often do post-natal work too but doulas are as of yet not covered by insurance. But overall, once you are home from the hospital that is it besides the 6 week check up.

Cost in the US are the highest in the world. When you go into a US hospital for any care, but including maternity care, they literally ring you up at each step. You have a wristband with a barcode and anytime you get any medication or something, they scan the barcode. There have also been cases of them charging the baby SEPARATELY from the mother for things like nursery time even if your child didn't go into the nursery and some insurances won't cover that. Seeing an American hospital bill can be a real shock.

Not everyone has insurance and even for those that do, deductibles can be extremely high. Many women still pay several thousands for their maternity care and many others simply never seek pre-natal care because of costs, lack of information or lack of access since many parts of the US lack a provider due to location. Congress tried REALLY hard last year during the ACA/Obamacare fight to get rid of the maternity coverage requirement for insurance plans. One of the main reasons costs for maternity care has gone down a bit is because the ACA mandated everyones insurance plan carry maternity coverage, creating wider market share and lowering costs. Unfortunately, some folks don't think that should be the case so if TPTB stay in, that could also go.

Women in Europe are very lucky. I wish the US had similar rights and programs Sad
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 01:53:36 PM by wisdomheaven » Logged
Skirt Queen

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: April 25, 2018, 02:08:15 PM »

Women in Europe are very lucky. I wish the US had similar rights and programs Sad

As "bad" as people claim health care is in the US, isn't it interesting how so many people want to immigrate here? Can't be all that bad, right, or they'd stay where they're coming from?
Snow Queen

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: April 25, 2018, 02:12:45 PM »

Plus our maternity leave policy is a joke in the US. I was one of the lucky ones. Iím home with my daughter now but I worked a government job in which I was vested and part of a union so I was able to take my full 12 weeks of unpaid leave. I saved my vacation time to cover most of my pay and my amazing coworkers donated leave time to make up the rest. Most are not as lucky as I was. One of my friends had a son about 7 months after I had my daughter. She had a c-section and only had 6 weeks off. I canít imagine recovering not just from childbirth but a major surgery and having to go back to work 6 weeks later. Itís inhumane. So many parts of the system are broken here. I wish we had healthcare and maternal leave like the European system.
wisdomheaven

Humongous Member

Probably don't know what timezone I am in.

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: April 25, 2018, 02:12:50 PM »

As "bad" as people claim health care is in the US, isn't it interesting how so many people want to immigrate here? Can't be all that bad, right, or they'd stay where they're coming from?

I don't know too many western europeans who are clamoring to live in the US personally except for if they have a US based partner. Other immigrant groups come here for a variety of reasons, but that doesn't mean our system is good or great.

And I am not sure why you are taking my post as some sort of hate on the US. I can respect and love my country and still recognize where its crap. How we do healthcare, including maternity care (as evidence by our increasingly poor outcomes) is not great. We can have the most innovative care in the world, but if folks can't afford it or go into debt to receive it, IDK that says a lot about our values IMO.

Sorry to go OT. Back to Kate who is lucky in all respects  in regards to help and healthcare and has a bonny baby boy!
emtishell

Large Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: April 25, 2018, 02:25:26 PM »

Who else is keen for the name announcement? I am really hoping they DONíT call him Arthur (Aussieís will understand, all I can think of is ďI say, ArthurĒ from Mother and Son, or creepy Uncle Arthur!).

I still personally hope for Albert, little Bertie would be cute and a lovely gesture to the Queen honouring her beloved father.

EDIT : William was overheard telling a gentleman at the ANZAC service that he has a ďstrong nameĒ.......
Oh_Caroline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: April 25, 2018, 02:26:38 PM »

Which part?

My hospital.stay for my son was $23k. Luckily, because our insurance is pretty good,  we only have to pay $300.

And God help you if you go into 2 different calendar years or have a preemie or both.   A good friend of mine had a 28 weeker in November 2016 (momy was in the hospital for 2 weeks before delivery) her bill was almost $1 million.   She had to pay her out of pocket max for both 2016 and 2017 which was around 25-30K.   Say what you want about ACA but at least it got rid of lifetime maximums because preemies burn through it.
Harley
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Denmark Denmark

Team Marie all the way

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: April 25, 2018, 02:30:56 PM »

Who else is keen for the name announcement? I am really hoping they DONíT call him Arthur (Aussieís will understand, all I can think of is ďI say, ArthurĒ from Mother and Son, or creepy Uncle Arthur!).

I still personally hope for Albert, little Bertie would be cute and a lovely gesture to the Queen honouring her beloved father.

If it mattered to Lizy, surely she could have named one of her own three sons that  Thinking

I  personally really donít care what they name him. Iím glad the babyís healthy and well but the Windsors are dreadfully dull, IMO.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: