Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prince Phillip Becomes a Godfather at 97  (Read 3575 times)
Petitefil

Baby Member

United States United States

Ignore
« on: July 15, 2018, 02:50:29 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.u...__twitter_impression=true

Prince Philip has become a godfather again at the age of 97.

On Thursday he flew by helicopter to Romsey Abbey, Hampshire, to attend the christening of the child of Thomas and Alexandra Hooper, daughter of Earl Mountbatten – grandson of Philip’s uncle Lord Louis Mountbatten.

The christening on Friday, at which the Duke of Edinburgh was made a godparent, took place while the Queen was entertaining President Trump at Windsor Castle.

Philip was a godfather to the current Earl, Norton Knatchbull, in 1947. Prince Charles was best man at the Knatchbulls’ wedding in 1979, the year in which Louis Mountbatten was murdered by the Provisional IRA.

The current Earl’s 65-year-old wife Penny – formerly known as Lady Romsey and then Lady Brabourne – is a close confidante of Philip and the two have gone carriage-driving together.

Alexandra, 35, was given away by Prince Charles when she and husband Thomas married at the abbey in June 2016.

Philip flew to Romsey from Sandringham, where he has spent most of his time since retiring last year from his Royal duties.

He flew back to Sandringham yesterday, paying for the flights himself, rather than using a taxpayer-funded Royal helicopter.
editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 03:31:57 PM »

Maria/Thomas, can you please move this to Queen and DoE news?
esther angeline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 01:14:38 AM »

Is the baby a girl or boy?  The name?  Inquiring minds want to know.
wisdomheaven

Humongous Member

Probably don't know what timezone I am in.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 01:48:19 AM »

So...he did all that to get to this christening, but didn't hop in the car with the Queen to go to Louis? That just strikes me as very strange.
Lady Alice

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 01:48:53 AM »

So...he did all that to get to this christening, but didn't hop in the car with the Queen to go to Louis? That just strikes me as very strange.

Hmmmm. Interesting, is it not?

esther angeline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 02:13:52 AM »

It says something.  I just don't know what.
luvcharles

Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 02:34:59 AM »

It wouldn't have been just getting into a car though as he is at Sandringham so he would have had to do a helicopter ride to London probably landing at either BP or KP and then driving down to St James with members of the public present.

To reach the other christening he had the helicopter ride and very short drive around the one estate - no traffic etc.

The fact that the two baptisms were in the one week may very well be a reason why he only attended one - one he could handle but two would have been too much and so he chose to go to the one where he was going to be a godfather over the one where he would be simply in the photos at most.
wisdomheaven

Humongous Member

Probably don't know what timezone I am in.

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 02:51:07 AM »

^^^ that doesn’t wash IMO. It isn’t as if BP to St James is a very onerous drive nor is the christening all that public. I mean the man still carriage drives so a quick trip in a car from one palace to another in London isn’t that much out of his way. He attended horse trials a few weeks ago with the Queen which was much more public.

And just there for photos? He is Louis Great Grandfather and afaik, Philip and the Queen are reasonably close to swill and Kate.

It doesn’t make sense IMO.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 02:59:16 AM by wisdomheaven » Logged
luvcharles

Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 03:12:05 AM »

What I am suggesting is that the doctors said 'one helicopter ride and christening only - so choose which one' and he chose the one where he is godfather over the one where he is nothing more than a photo - he can be in many other photos with Louis just not the christening ones.

The Queen also wasn't there as she and Philip spent the weekend at Sandringham on her way back from Edinburgh (as she has done now for years - taken a 'long weekend' away from London after Holyrood Week'.

Being in a photo with Louis is something they can do on many more occasions or may already have done but he has less contact with his more extended family.

Some people will always read more into events than they are.

Remember that The Queen and Philip also didn't go to Isla's baptism - second child of Peter and Autumn. Maybe the only reason they went to Charlotte's was that it was at Sandringham rather than in London.
Penelope

Baby Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 03:31:12 AM »

What I am suggesting is that the doctors said 'one helicopter ride and christening only - so choose which one' and he chose the one where he is godfather over the one where he is nothing more than a photo - he can be in many other photos with Louis just not the christening ones.

The Queen also wasn't there as she and Philip spent the weekend at Sandringham on her way back from Edinburgh (as she has done now for years - taken a 'long weekend' away from London after Holyrood Week'.

Being in a photo with Louis is something they can do on many more occasions or may already have done but he has less contact with his more extended family.

Some people will always read more into events than they are.

Remember that The Queen and Philip also didn't go to Isla's baptism - second child of Peter and Autumn. Maybe the only reason they went to Charlotte's was that it was at Sandringham rather than in London.

I agree with you and really don't see the issue with The Queen and Prince Philip not being in attendance. Of course none of us know the exact reason they weren't there but I personally doubt it's indicative of any family tension or drama. I can't imagine being expected at every single event at age 97!
anastasia beaverhausen

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 03:46:47 AM »

^^^ that doesn’t wash IMO. It isn’t as if BP to St James is a very onerous drive nor is the christening all that public. I mean the man still carriage drives so a quick trip in a car from one palace to another in London isn’t that much out of his way. He attended horse trials a few weeks ago with the Queen which was much more public.

And just there for photos? He is Louis Great Grandfather and afaik, Philip and the Queen are reasonably close to swill and Kate.

It doesn’t make sense IMO.

I agree, Wisdom. I think it is a pretty big deal if your great grandfather misses your christening, especially if he’s able to participate in other activities which seem more onerous.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 11:24:21 AM »

I didn't see an issue with QEII and Phil not being at the christening of Baby Louis until.. well until the Queen was seen in London that day and until it now comes to light that Philipp attended the christening of another baby.
They forever tell us that the royals schedules are done eons before, so of course it seems possible that there were conflicting events for QEII, Chas, William etc. But really? Don't think so: Williams's events seem few and far between, Kate is on leave, Harry and Meg, well, seriously? So it was IMO only QEII and Chas. Considering that QEII is slowing down her numbers, I really wonder if there wasn't any way to find a better date. I mean, it is not like the baptism had to take place on specific day for ritual reason.
And I truly believe, that the Mountbattens would have considered Philipp's schedule and set a date to allow for him to be there. 

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: