Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prince Charles' 70th birthday  (Read 61334 times)
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: November 16, 2018, 09:34:31 AM »

I think the Brits and other royals are walking a tightrope:
Too much showcasing the extravagancies of the festivities with the bling and the international VIP guests, and the (recognizable and thus $$!) couture could enrage the public just as well.
Like "Great, look at the amount of money that went into those celebration (the amount that went into each couture gown, the stylists and hairdressers, the hotels ans accommodations) and yet you have the gall to make a video clip and announce with somber voice that we all have to tighten our belts now to fight world poverty and the economic crisis in our very own homes???"
On the other hand, we feel almost left out when we are not even allowed to take a peek into the dreamlike lifestyles into those fantasies and luxuries.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Margaret

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: November 16, 2018, 10:44:36 AM »

^^^ Yes!   I have a deeply unsettling feeling in my innards about that party and the privacy issue.  My thoughts are still swirling around, more than a bit disorganised, and what I say may seem petulant and might not make sense,  yet I am leaning towards being very pissed off with the general sense of superiority and entitlement I am sensing, and the unwillingness to share the sight of their extremely fine finery and bling with the people they serve and whose approval is essential for their continued enjoyment of their elevated position.

I have also been dwelling on thoughts about the inter-related issue of the preparation that the chain of heirs are getting for their ultimate job of being head of state.  It occurred to me that the people who end up being appointed president in republics do their head-of-state preparation work as private citizens, earning a living and acquiring the qualities and status that will eventually lead to them being selected as worthy of being HoS by working darn hard at their chosen profession or occupation, acquiring the necessary educational qualifications and on the job training at their own expense and under their own steam and initiative.  OTOH the hereditary heads of state in Britain get all their training paid for by the system, be it the stashes of private funds the family has squirreled away over the centuries, the source of which I will not comment on here, but which is bound to have been a fair bit shady. They are selected at the moment of their birth by reason of the mere accident of their birth, and their intelligence and other personal qualities are irrelevant.  The heir is the heir regardless of ability, and it will cost a squillion to train them to do their ultimate job. They will be kitted out with expensive clothes and dwellings and the finer things of life throughout their schooling and university and military training, and they are led about in cotton wool while they learn about useful but not too controversial/political things from the people who are actually doing the important work and should be doing that work rather than preparing lessons for the chosen ones to be spoon fed with when they attend meetings and to unveil plaques and kick balls around.

When I say this I am not really thinking of Charles because I don't think of him in quite the same way.  In my view he has actually gone out there and created a job for himself and has worked hard and built it up into a successful "business" for want of a better word.  And at least Charles and Camilla showed us a photo of themselves at his party!  It is his lazy, privacy-obsessed son that I feel is being coddled and is not doing anything constructive, just sucking the air and benefits out of the system and yet does not want to give anything at all back to the people whose approval he needs to keep his job.  He wants to hide away doing whatever the hell it is he does behind the closed doors.  I reckon when he and his brother and their wives have a meeting about their Foundation, we should know more about it, and should get photos of them coming and going from it, and when one of them has a huge, fancy, landmark birthday party with kings and queens and hoards of other royals attending, we should get to see some pictures of them at play.  Their job is not very hard, and its main element is to serve the people, and IMO that also includes entertaining the people and keeping them happy, and when they are flaunting their incredible wealth and privilege I think they have an obligation to at least let the people they serve have a chance to have a peek at them at play in their extreme finery.

perdie

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: November 16, 2018, 11:17:03 AM »

For context: in the few days since the party, we have seen the Brexit plans be produce and roundly scorned, potentially leading to a disaster for the UK economy - in a single day a full percentage was lost on the value of the pound.  Tonight, the biggest telethon is on TV, which mixes poverty and causes in need of funding at home and overseas.  This week was not the week for royals to showcase expensive dresses and jewels (and for some, hobnobbing with European royals).

Had this event been held even just a couple of weeks ago, it would have been different, but it wasn't.
onar

Humongous Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: November 16, 2018, 12:38:10 PM »

"Prada forever"??!? How tacky!
Well, lately seems that tacky is her second name!

freethespoon

Most Exalted Member

Official TeaSpoon of Royal Dish. Aka TrollSpoon.

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: November 16, 2018, 02:09:31 PM »

Too much showcasing the extravagancies of the festivities with the bling and the international VIP guests, and the (recognizable and thus $$!) couture could enrage the public just as well.
Like "Great, look at the amount of money that went into those celebration (the amount that went into each couture gown, the stylists and hairdressers, the hotels ans accommodations) and yet you have the gall to make a video clip and announce with somber voice that we all have to tighten our belts now to fight world poverty and the economic crisis in our very own homes???"
On the other hand, we feel almost left out when we are not even allowed to take a peek into the dreamlike lifestyles into those fantasies and luxuries.

It's why I roll my eyes hard when these prats start chatting about conservation and living sustainably blah blah blah.  As a general rule I don't take tips on safe drinking from alcoholics, tips from the morbidly obese about diets and I certainly don't take tips from royals who have massive footprints on sustainability.

Cut the ribbons and smile, chickens.  That's your purpose. 

You can call me TrollSpoon.
Tulip of Nonsense

Large Member

Monaco Monaco

Je chante donc je suis...

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: November 16, 2018, 02:44:50 PM »

I‘ve no doubt whatsoever the Queen has some say in everything connected to Herself and the Family, security arrangements very much included.  Secret As to her ‘own’ money, well, the immense wealth of the BRF does originate from public funds, id est taxpayer’s pounds.  Angry

"I was given a degree by a college of unbeautiful nonsense... And I have kissed a prince in a land where men grind their wheat in the sky..."
Melville Davisson Post
A Citizen not a Subject

Warned
Large Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #366 on: November 16, 2018, 03:08:45 PM »

It's why I roll my eyes hard when these prats start chatting about conservation and living sustainably blah blah blah.  As a general rule I don't take tips on safe drinking from alcoholics, tips from the morbidly obese about diets and I certainly don't take tips from royals who have massive footprints on sustainability.

Thumb up

I live in hope that one day I will be able to elect my Head of State.
anastasia beaverhausen

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: November 16, 2018, 03:21:55 PM »

Yep. And William can’t even manage the smile part.
anastasia beaverhausen

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: November 16, 2018, 03:34:47 PM »

all reasons aside, all this segregation of ' us and them'  will only deepen the chasm of us as the peasants, and them as royals, no longer relevant and out of touch in and with our lives.

If the Norwagian royals are walking with the common man and releasing their significant occassion photos to give the feeling of inclusion to the peasants, then maybe, UPchuck needs to put that thought on his agenda when he finally ascends.

This act of segregation harks back to days when Lillibet et al did not want to come to London when Diana died and had to be persuaded by Tony Blair to ' break the tradition' in response to public pressure of mourning and connectedness they felt to Diana.

And it is this ' connection'  that Billy the Plumber and Hazard are now spending....but not putting anything back to the bank, as it were.

G Smiley

I agree Geta. It may be okay for Charles to be hands off but I don’t think Billy the Scowler is going to win anyone over to the monarchy acting like that. Even if Kate recycles her entire wardrobe.
NAOTMAA

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #369 on: November 16, 2018, 03:45:26 PM »

It's why I roll my eyes hard when these prats start chatting about conservation and living sustainably blah blah blah.  As a general rule I don't take tips on safe drinking from alcoholics, tips from the morbidly obese about diets and I certainly don't take tips from royals who have massive footprints on sustainability.

Cut the ribbons and smile, chickens.  That's your purpose.  

Well the main problem isn't the hypocracy (although it is that too), it's the fact that when they talk about it they come off as repeating the buzz words and not truely knowing what the hell their talking about. They don't seem knowledgeable on the subject at all. Unlike their mother and father who studied the subjects inside and out before they attended some event William and Harry sound like they only know what the staff behind the scenes wrote for them. Any off the script remarks by them are the generic kind. Living the entitled high life wouldn't come across as bad if they didn't seem so shallow and lazy.

As for the whole 'privacy' thing I'm of the opinion that nothing is completely personally paid for by the royals themselves and that there is always something that leads back to the taxpayers so there should be more access to events like this for the public (photos, video, etc.). It's not like this is something so deeply personal anyway. It's just a birthday party and if they want people to like them more then things like this are the perfect opportunity to allow more access. Let the people who gave you so much celebrate the happy milestone with you.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: November 16, 2018, 08:33:18 PM »

A documentary on Charles will air tonight at 9pm: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06q8cpt

'I will NOT be a meddling monarch... I'm not that stupid': Charles gives extraordinary TV interview on eve of his 70th birthday as his family open up about what he is REALLY like

https://www.dailymail.co....rdinary-TV-admission.html

it is available in youtube yet?
i would love to watch this.

Yes, here is it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKtTsViKtW8
BBC removed the link,  Ranting Real mad

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
luvcharles

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #371 on: November 17, 2018, 05:03:49 AM »

BBC regularly checks youtube and other places to ensure that its copyrighted property is protected and so they do insist that illegally uploaded shows are removed. They have been known to even have youtube cancel people's accounts for breach of copyright (as do ITV etc).

SQ

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #372 on: November 17, 2018, 09:47:48 AM »

https://www.dailymail.co....dinary-70th-birthday.html

A new article on Chuck's party. It says the Harkles left early, even before QE2 and Phil  Thinking
Molly2101

Huge Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #373 on: November 17, 2018, 11:48:29 AM »

A new article on Chuck's party. It says the Harkles left early, even before QE2 and Phil  Thinking

I would pay good money to see Edward perform a magic trick. 😂

"All my heart is yours, sir: it belongs to you; and with you it would remain, were fate to exile the rest of me from your presence forever." Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte.
Harley
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Denmark Denmark

Team Marie all the way

Ignore
« Reply #374 on: November 17, 2018, 04:18:28 PM »

That seems reasonable. Pregnancy exhaustion is real. Still, I envy her. When I was expecting my daughter, I felt like shit the entire pregnancy. All I could do was lie in bed or puke. And I think I started cupping and carressing my belly from the moment I learned I was pregnant (and my mom kept asking me if I was in pain. I wasn’t, though, and it wasn’t a conscious thing. My hands just kept moving towards my belly and my little ICSI miracle).

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: