Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What does the Future of the British Monarchy look after after QE2?  (Read 16381 times)
Kitty

Warned
Small Member

United States United States

Ignore
« on: November 15, 2018, 06:28:01 AM »

Hello, I am new here! Love this site!
 I just want to know what does the future of the British monarchy look like? In my honest opinion, I see it as a shelter of its former self. The Queen is literally the glue to the monarchy and the royals itself have enjoyed hiding behind her. Gone are the days when the royals were legit respected world figures and no more golden age for the monarchy. What's your opinion?
Carreen

Mini Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 07:24:59 AM »

I think that constitutional monarchy has worked very well for Great Britain, and I don't see them changing the whole system. It's not built on a person. This institution survived George IV :-) And I'm optimistic and hope the heirs will rise to the job.
Kitty

Warned
Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 08:18:17 AM »

I think that constitutional monarchy has worked very well for Great Britain, and I don't see them changing the whole system. It's not built on a person. This institution survived George IV :-) And I'm optimistic and hope the heirs will rise to the job.
From what I've learn about this world is nothing ever stays the same.
SvenskaSarah

Medium Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 03:50:33 PM »

Tbh I think Charles will do well, he seems to have inherited his parents' sense of duty and both he and Camilla work tremendously hard considering their ages. I'm more worried about the monarchy during William. He doesn't share the sense of duty or the willingness to work and commit like his father and grandparents do. To me he seems more of a divine right believing person rather than working to prove yourself and incur favour from the public. Sadly by the time George grows up he won't be able to draw strength and inspiration from his harder working family members.
Overall, I think Kate stands a chance of doing well. She seems a lot more content and relaxed, and I hope this stays. Also fashion wise I think she'll go down the route of the Queen and wear similar styles in different colours, she's already been doing this for a number of years. I hope she continues to work with her patronage and become more involved, as the charities she is associated with are important and often overlooked, such as action on addiction.
Kitty

Warned
Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 07:11:11 PM »

Tbh I think Charles will do well, he seems to have inherited his parents' sense of duty and both he and Camilla work tremendously hard considering their ages. I'm more worried about the monarchy during William. He doesn't share the sense of duty or the willingness to work and commit like his father and grandparents do. To me he seems more of a divine right believing person rather than working to prove yourself and incur favour from the public. Sadly by the time George grows up he won't be able to draw strength and inspiration from his harder working family members.
Overall, I think Kate stands a chance of doing well. She seems a lot more content and relaxed, and I hope this stays. Also fashion wise I think she'll go down the route of the Queen and wear similar styles in different colours, she's already been doing this for a number of years. I hope she continues to work with her patronage and become more involved, as the charities she is associated with are important and often overlooked, such as action on addiction.
To be fair I do not understand where people are coming from when they say Kate has changed for the better. She seems the same as always. Anywyas I think you are right. I just want The Queen's legacy to continue and not end with her.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 09:59:14 PM »

If you look back into history, you'll notice that there have always been absurd royals, consorts and sovereigns. In many many cases the crown princes were considered to be lacking in every aspect but age until they too became sovereigns and then history repeated itself with their own offspring.
This has been the documented case for the last what? 150 years and the last 4-5 heirs:
Edward VII the party prince, involved in quite a few scandals and love trysts and only his position saved him from being questioned in courts more than one (one murder and one divorce comes to mind). Yet when he finally succeeded his mother Victoria (and people realized that there indeed was life after her!) he was rather popular.
His sons, well George was the stick up the behind from the beginning and not popular by anyone in his circle (the public hardly knew him) and Albert Victor, well the rumours of him being Jack the Ripper (or at least heavily involved) came about very early, so he can't have been the beloved heir to the throne, because then people whould not have believed this and perpetuated it.
After those two came the EdwardVIII debacle (no need to go into details) and Bbbertiie, who quite unfairly was rather ridiculed because of his speech impediment. Elizabeth's father grew to become a very much beloved and popular monarch.
And then there was Elizabeth, well not unpopular but I very much imagine that a lot of people would have preferred a male heir who wasn't green behind the ears and married to a spouse of somewhat german connections. And again Elizabeth has become one of the most reknowned queens of all time (world wide!!) 
I am very certain, Charles will be ok (if he has enough time to carve out some monarchal profile for himself) and William will do too (as of yet extremely undeservedly!!)

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Kitty

Warned
Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 11:18:31 PM »

If you look back into history, you'll notice that there have always been absurd royals, consorts and sovereigns. In many many cases the crown princes were considered to be lacking in every aspect but age until they too became sovereigns and then history repeated itself with their own offspring.
This has been the documented case for the last what? 150 years and the last 4-5 heirs:
Edward VII the party prince, involved in quite a few scandals and love trysts and only his position saved him from being questioned in courts more than one (one murder and one divorce comes to mind). Yet when he finally succeeded his mother Victoria (and people realized that there indeed was life after her!) he was rather popular.
His sons, well George was the stick up the behind from the beginning and not popular by anyone in his circle (the public hardly knew him) and Albert Victor, well the rumours of him being Jack the Ripper (or at least heavily involved) came about very early, so he can't have been the beloved heir to the throne, because then people whould not have believed this and perpetuated it.
After those two came the EdwardVIII debacle (no need to go into details) and Bbbertiie, who quite unfairly was rather ridiculed because of his speech impediment. Elizabeth's father grew to become a very much beloved and popular monarch.
And then there was Elizabeth, well not unpopular but I very much imagine that a lot of people would have preferred a male heir who wasn't green behind the ears and married to a spouse of somewhat german connections. And again Elizabeth has become one of the most reknowned queens of all time (world wide!!) 
I am very certain, Charles will be ok (if he has enough time to carve out some monarchal profile for himself) and William will do too (as of yet extremely undeservedly!!)
I just hope the royals are ready for the unleashing the media has for them once HM is gone.
luvcharles

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 11:21:38 PM »

What murder was Edward VII involved with?

He was questioned in court in a divorce scandal, which was not granted, and again with the betting scandal but I have no knowledge of any murder.

The rumours about Albert Victor as Jack the Ripper came out in the 1970s and were quickly squashed as there is a lot of evidence he was at Balmoral at the time. There was NO suggestion linking anyone to the royals until the 1970s.

Edward VIII was extremely popular as Prince of Wales. In fact the main reason he was given the title Duke of Windsor was to stop him, as a commoner, from being able to form a political party and stand for election to the House of Commons. The public didn't want him to abdicate - especially over 'love'.

Charles has already weathered the worst the media can shower on him and he is becoming more and more respected as the years go by.

William is still the darling son of Diana and Kate is increasingly popular as well.

Bertie was seen as dutiful but not much more. He wasn't loved but he was respected prior to becoming King. He didn't win over the public until the war.

Elizabeth was extremely popular as a Princess and after she married her very handsome naval war hero in 1947 she only went up in popularity. Many people could remember how great the country had been under Victoria so there were no real concerns about her - or wishes for male heir.
Lady Willoughby

Warned
Gigantic Member

Circa Regna Tonat

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 11:22:52 PM »

A 1,000 stars to you Fairy! This is why I try not to become too “chicken little” regarding the BRF. There is indeed, nothing new under the sun.

Princess BlueEyes

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 12:02:32 AM »

Star

fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 09:51:42 AM »

What murder was Edward VII involved with?

He was questioned in court in a divorce scandal, which was not granted, and again with the betting scandal but I have no knowledge of any murder. ( I looked for it, but I only found a case of a ex-mistress of EdVIII tried for murder..either I mix it up or it was something else... Thinking)

The rumours about Albert Victor as Jack the Ripper came out in the 1970s and were quickly squashed as there is a lot of evidence he was at Balmoral at the time. There was NO suggestion linking anyone to the royals until the 1970s.(that is when the book came out, but there had been hushed up rumours about some involvement of the prince in the wrong quarters of the town back at that time in the newspapers even)

Edward VIII was extremely popular as Prince of Wales. In fact the main reason he was given the title Duke of Windsor was to stop him, as a commoner, from being able to form a political party and stand for election to the House of Commons. The public didn't want him to abdicate - especially over 'love'. (so perhaps the great unwashed loved him because of his gaiety and charm, and since they knew little about him, but it can't be denied that he was considered to be the worst case scenario as a prince and king which IMO is the main reason they "accepted" his resignation "for love" - treason would have rocked the kashba)

Charles has already weathered the worst the media can shower on him and he is becoming more and more respected as the years go by. (yes, as I said: very young and very seasoned seems to do the trick with the public and the media.. it is the middle ages that are the worst to be weathered Angel)

William is still the darling son of Diana and Kate is increasingly popular as well. (he got it thru critique of Kate)

Bertie was seen as dutiful but not much more. He wasn't loved but he was respected prior to becoming King. He didn't win over the public until the war. (checked)

Elizabeth was extremely popular as a Princess and after she married her very handsome naval war hero in 1947 she only went up in popularity. Many people could remember how great the country had been under Victoria so there were no real concerns about her - or wishes for male heir.
In any case, I really enjoy your very informed posts, you are very knowledgable. It is fun to debate this with you... Thumb up

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Curtains

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2018, 12:56:29 PM »

The murder was of Sir Harry Oakes, while the Duke was Governor of the Bahamas.  At the least, he was complicit in obstruction of justice:

http://www.royalhistorian...of-the-bahamas-1940-1945/

"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic: but I had a good life, all the way." - Jimmy Buffet, America's premiere poet
LarLa

Small Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2018, 02:12:13 PM »

History does indeed repeat itself. Elizabeth II has been monarch for so long that its hard to think of the monarchy without her. Most people alive today have never had a succession happen. I think its rather normal to wonder what the institution will be like afterwards. Its a huge transition. My feeling is that Charles will be fine as monarch. I hope that Camilla is crowned Queen Consort as well. I also hope that he will do what its rumored and slim down the official royal family members. They should move to where only the main line are HRH (monarch and spouse, children and the children of the heir). As much as I'd like to see a full on coronation I think they should also move to something a little less ostentatious. William really seems to have come into his own this year and I hope to see that continue. I liked Kate's recent work prior to maternity leave and I hope she picks things up again soon.
Kitty

Warned
Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2018, 10:56:26 AM »

We also have to consider Brexit; which can change everything.
luvcharles

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2018, 12:33:07 PM »

The murder was of Sir Harry Oakes, while the Duke was Governor of the Bahamas.  At the least, he was complicit in obstruction of justice:

http://www.royalhistorian...of-the-bahamas-1940-1945/

Different King Edward though.

I was asking about a murder connected to Edward VII not one linked to his grandson, Edward VIII.

By the time of the murder of Sir Harry Oakes Edward VIII had abdicated. I now about that murder and Edward's involvement in the follow-up - which is suspicious to say the least.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: