Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What does the Future of the British Monarchy look after after QE2?  (Read 18888 times)
karma chamelion

Huge Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2018, 02:17:23 PM »

Just my two cents: I think we're seeing deference in the press to the queen, deference that won't be shown to Charles or William. When their turns roll around there will be much more scrutiny and they'll be called to account for their profligate ways. H&M aren't going to help the situation with their 'in your face' attitude. Slowly the tide will turn against them, Charles will probably be fine, but William will have a hard time establishing any kind of respect with government or the public. He just doesn't have what it takes personality wise, and I don't see him developing into a strong, dutiful monarch. JMO
Kitty

Warned
Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2018, 06:58:31 PM »

Just my two cents: I think we're seeing deference in the press to the queen, deference that won't be shown to Charles or William. When their turns roll around there will be much more scrutiny and they'll be called to account for their profligate ways. H&M aren't going to help the situation with their 'in your face' attitude. Slowly the tide will turn against them, Charles will probably be fine, but William will have a hard time establishing any kind of respect with government or the public. He just doesn't have what it takes personality wise, and I don't see him developing into a strong, dutiful monarch. JMO
I honestly feel like the royals want to go back to the 80s when they were legit world powers. It was the golden age of the monarchy.
Rita

Ginormous Member

Stay safe

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2018, 08:26:54 PM »

If you look back into history, you'll notice that there have always been absurd royals, consorts and sovereigns. In many many cases the crown princes were considered to be lacking in every aspect but age until they too became sovereigns and then history repeated itself with their own offspring.
This has been the documented case for the last what? 150 years and the last 4-5 heirs:
Edward VII the party prince, involved in quite a few scandals and love trysts and only his position saved him from being questioned in courts more than one (one murder and one divorce comes to mind). Yet when he finally succeeded his mother Victoria (and people realized that there indeed was life after her!) he was rather popular.
His sons, well George was the stick up the behind from the beginning and not popular by anyone in his circle (the public hardly knew him) and Albert Victor, well the rumours of him being Jack the Ripper (or at least heavily involved) came about very early, so he can't have been the beloved heir to the throne, because then people whould not have believed this and perpetuated it.
After those two came the EdwardVIII debacle (no need to go into details) and Bbbertiie, who quite unfairly was rather ridiculed because of his speech impediment. Elizabeth's father grew to become a very much beloved and popular monarch.
And then there was Elizabeth, well not unpopular but I very much imagine that a lot of people would have preferred a male heir who wasn't green behind the ears and married to a spouse of somewhat german connections. And again Elizabeth has become one of the most reknowned queens of all time (world wide!!) 
I am very certain, Charles will be ok (if he has enough time to carve out some monarchal profile for himself) and William will do too (as of yet extremely undeservedly!!)
THIS  Star Star Star
i think this how it work worldwide,monarchy is as any other system of governance it's not only about one person (the monarch) there alot of more mechanisms wich make the system stand imo

Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

proud moron thx Scooby Doo

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2018, 09:18:43 PM »

I think Charles will be fine as I have noticed a definite turn in sentiment towards him. They still blame him and think he's Satan because of Diana but admit he has done a lot of good and there seems to be less animosity towards him becoming king and even some positivity from the public at large. My family in the UK are starting to warm to him after the last few years and my auntie loved the documentary about him.

William will be protected by the golden glow of his mother. How long, it's hard to say; my generation, thus his, don't care as much about his sainted mummy killed by the evil press as their story goes so I don't know if it will help.

I think the monarchy after the Queen will be unstable in the sense of she has been a long, stabilizing, respected force no matter one's real opinions on her (like I don't think she is a great monarch or is a great person and certainly seems to have been a rotten mother). We'll see. I do not see the monarchy in the UK going anywhere any time soon, not in my lifetime.

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2018, 09:34:03 PM »

The murder was of Sir Harry Oakes, while the Duke was Governor of the Bahamas.  At the least, he was complicit in obstruction of justice:

http://www.royalhistorian...of-the-bahamas-1940-1945/

Different King Edward though.

I was asking about a murder connected to Edward VII not one linked to his grandson, Edward VIII.

By the time of the murder of Sir Harry Oakes Edward VIII had abdicated. I now about that murder and Edward's involvement in the follow-up - which is suspicious to say the least.
And you are right. I initially really believed there was some murderous mistress of Edward VII and it seems it wasn't his mistress but indeed his grandson's lover…  Thinking Weird how one believes one remembers something rather clearly and yet under closer inspection it turns out to be rather different..strange..

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Kitty

Warned
Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2018, 04:56:49 AM »

I think Charles will be fine as I have noticed a definite turn in sentiment towards him. They still blame him and think he's Satan because of Diana but admit he has done a lot of good and there seems to be less animosity towards him becoming king and even some positivity from the public at large. My family in the UK are starting to warm to him after the last few years and my auntie loved the documentary about him.

William will be protected by the golden glow of his mother. How long, it's hard to say; my generation, thus his, don't care as much about his sainted mummy killed by the evil press as their story goes so I don't know if it will help.

I think the monarchy after the Queen will be unstable in the sense of she has been a long, stabilizing, respected force no matter one's real opinions on her (like I don't think she is a great monarch or is a great person and certainly seems to have been a rotten mother). We'll see. I do not see the monarchy in the UK going anywhere any time soon, not in my lifetime.
I hope you are right
Princess MS

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2018, 05:24:15 AM »

I think more people realise that the issues that Charles promoted decades ago - environment, inner city life etc that were seen at the time to be a bit "strange" are actually important, and real vote winners. So in hindsight Charles was ahead of the times, and maybe is getting some more respect. I think he'll be fine when the time comes - assuming he outlives his mother who could still be here for another decade.

As for William - I suspect he will be a dud. 
Kitty

Warned
Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2018, 07:36:32 PM »

I think more people realise that the issues that Charles promoted decades ago - environment, inner city life etc that were seen at the time to be a bit "strange" are actually important, and real vote winners. So in hindsight Charles was ahead of the times, and maybe is getting some more respect. I think he'll be fine when the time comes - assuming he outlives his mother who could still be here for another decade.

As for William - I suspect he will be a dud. 
I just think people will question the monarchy and its purpose after The Queen.
ralf103

Big Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2018, 08:44:58 PM »

I think that would be true no matter who took over after the Queen, transition is always a time to question purpose etc.

I'm by no means a big Charles fan but I think the press will be more supportive that we think, they love to cast doubt then turn around at the last minute. They said the Golden Jubilee would be a wash out then basked in its glory, they took digs at Charles and Camilla's engagement and relished in the chaos leading up to it but then celebrated the wedding day. Charles has had a tough time and he will get scrutiny, probably much more than the Queen does now, in the media but I think there will be a general pro-monarchy, pro-Charles stance after the Queen dies.
luvcharles

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2018, 10:20:01 PM »

If History is anything to go by you are all probably right.

In the 1880s and 1890s there were regular editorials etc about how unsuitable the Prince of Wales was - some even on the day of his accession.

By the time of his death, 9 years later, the media were universal in describing him as a great king and had made his own mark on the world. He was a much loved King, in the end.
Duchess of Verona

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2018, 12:04:08 AM »

^Edward is probably the most proximate comparison, being an extremely long waiting POW to an extraordinarily long reigning Queen. More than likely Charles will only reign for a few years as well.
Margaret

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2018, 12:37:36 AM »

^Edward is probably the most proximate comparison, being an extremely long waiting POW to an extraordinarily long reigning Queen. More than likely Charles will only reign for a few years as well.

Elizabeth is 92 and Charles has only just turned 70.  He might reign for 20 years.
Kitty

Warned
Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2018, 01:23:30 AM »

I think that would be true no matter who took over after the Queen, transition is always a time to question purpose etc.

I'm by no means a big Charles fan but I think the press will be more supportive that we think, they love to cast doubt then turn around at the last minute. They said the Golden Jubilee would be a wash out then basked in its glory, they took digs at Charles and Camilla's engagement and relished in the chaos leading up to it but then celebrated the wedding day. Charles has had a tough time and he will get scrutiny, probably much more than the Queen does now, in the media but I think there will be a general pro-monarchy, pro-Charles stance after the Queen dies.
I agree but at the same time you can't use the past for the present. The WORLD is changing.
SvenskaSarah

Medium Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2018, 01:47:31 AM »

This is just my tiara obsession talking, but do you think Camilla will get free access to the tiaras and jewellery, or do you think some will be not worn out of respect for the queen for some years until maybe kate becomes consort? I have to admit Id love to see the fringe tiara and the emeralds on Camilla as she can rock a big gun!
Also, with Camilla supposedly being Princess consort, would this limit her tiara choices in any way?
Also, I really hope that George or Louis takes on the prince's trust, seeing as William wants to "do his own thing". It's such a great initiative, I have a friend who did a volunteer scheme through the prince's Trust and the confidence she has grown during that time is astounding, and I only hope it continues to help future generations.
Blueskies

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2018, 01:54:41 AM »

No real change, in my opinion.  I think it will continue.  Maybe a tweak here or there, but my guess is even the younger generations will step up and do as their roles dictate.  I personally hope Meghan doesn’t stick around.  But the rest of them will be fine. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: