Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What does the Future of the British Monarchy look after after QE2?  (Read 18889 times)
Kitty

Warned
Small Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2019, 11:08:24 PM »

More and more Brexit is actually a scary thought and the monarchy will get hit by it.
ralf103

Big Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2019, 11:27:47 PM »

My worry will be that Charles somehow gets himself in some trouble over Brexit by expressing an opinion one way or the other. I do think he has got 100 times better at not being political, or being perceived to have ideas that are political, but I do think if its not all settled soon Charles runs a risk of getting himself into trouble.
Kitty

Warned
Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2019, 12:14:26 AM »

My worry will be that Charles somehow gets himself in some trouble over Brexit by expressing an opinion one way or the other. I do think he has got 100 times better at not being political, or being perceived to have ideas that are political, but I do think if its not all settled soon Charles runs a risk of getting himself into trouble.
With what happened yesterday concerning Brexit I'm sorry to say but the monarchy is doomed. It doesn't help that Markles likes to spend spend spend.
Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

proud moron thx Scooby Doo

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2019, 12:31:51 AM »

Considering it would have to take a massive upheaval of the political system in the UK I doubt the monarchy is doomed.

Theresa May will be gone, however, and Brexit won't happen.

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
Oh_Caroline

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2019, 12:35:42 AM »

While the government is facing more of the backlash it would behoove the royals to be on their best behavior....no comments pro or con, carrying out a heavyish schedule (Cambridge and Sussex couple I'm looking at you), and watch spending (Meghan especially).  Let's not give people more to complain about.

Also the ladies should be going out of their way to support British fashion...I would split at least 50% British and the leftover half Commonwealth and half not.
Kitty

Warned
Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2019, 07:08:01 PM »

While the government is facing more of the backlash it would behoove the royals to be on their best behavior....no comments pro or con, carrying out a heavyish schedule (Cambridge and Sussex couple I'm looking at you), and watch spending (Meghan especially).  Let's not give people more to complain about.

Also the ladies should be going out of their way to support British fashion...I would split at least 50% British and the leftover half Commonwealth and half not.
I just have this weird but strong feeling that the monarchy is going to decline.
Paulina

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2019, 07:55:51 AM »

If the public sees the royals as simply looker me celebrities, as evidenced by the duchal couples, they will not want to pay for their upkeep. Celebrities at least aren’t on the public dole like the royals are. It will dawn on them that they are being taken advantage of. When regular folks had those thoughts in France a couple hundred plus years ago, how did that work out for the royals?
loubna

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: January 17, 2019, 09:15:31 AM »

wrong thread sorry  Smiley
Carreen

Mini Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2019, 12:15:05 AM »

I'm very certain that the British monarchy will survive because it's a matter of structure, not persons. We all focus too much on the persons, how they're dressed, what they do and say - but beneath that, there is a fundamental way of how a society organizes itself.

I think the more chaos elected politicians brew, the stronger the un-elected pillar of stability, monarchy as such (and not only the specific monarch), will be more appreciated.

After reading quite a number of books about the autocratic monarchies that fell in the aftermath of WWi, I have understood what seemed weird to me for years. Coming from a country were monarchy was abolished in 1918, it always seemed strange to me that Britons curtsy and identify so strongly with these rarefied, pampered creatures called royal family. I understand it better now.

The British monarchy, like the Scandinavian and Benelux monarchies, has survived because it remained flexible. I think the penny dropped when I read how horrified Czar Nicholas II was about the Norwegian crown, offered by the people to a Danish prince - and that prince accepted! Well, Nicholas II ended his life tragically and the Romanovs don't rule any more. But the descendants of the Danish prince still wear the crown offered to them by the people.

Evolution, not revolution, that's the secret of survival. I think nobody has a better sense of balance between stability and gentle adaptation than the royal families who are still on their thrones.

And the more unreliable and confused elected politicians look, the stronger and saner does the monarchy appear.

No no, Elizabeth II is intelligent, pragmatic and experienced enough to prepare the soil for the time without her. She knows her funeral is prepared in every detail, and Prince Charles seems to know very well that the role of Prince of Wales gives liberties a king doesn't have.

Can I judge it from far away? Maybe I'm wrong but I have the feeling the Britons won't give up their queen or king in order to get a president.

But but but. This whole contract between monarchy and people only works while the traditional motto of the Prince of Wales, Ich dien', I serve, is still the principle of the monarchy. It's not enough to be born royal - the royal has to earn the privilege of his/her birth to make the contract last. That may be the deeper reason, apart from simple snobbery, why for many generations royals married only royals. Not even high nobility was accepted. If you think of the way in which generations of younger princes accepted secondary roles, generations of princesses agreeed to marry unloved spouses for the good of the house... we can't and don't expect this kind of self-sacrifice any more, but all the luxury of royal life comes with a price tag.

As long as the BRF continues to pay that price, continues to show that it serves the people of Britain, I don't see a crisis on the horizon.

And as I said on the first page - Great Britain's monarchy-people-contract has survived the Hanoverians and Edward VIII... :-) it's certainly tough.
Kitty

Warned
Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2019, 05:03:36 AM »

If the public sees the royals as simply looker me celebrities, as evidenced by the duchal couples, they will not want to pay for their upkeep. Celebrities at least aren’t on the public dole like the royals are. It will dawn on them that they are being taken advantage of. When regular folks had those thoughts in France a couple hundred plus years ago, how did that work out for the royals?
Yeah thats the problem they seem more like celebrities now.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2019, 12:00:21 PM »

Funny how I never realised that the Motto of the prince of Wales was german... Confused

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
anastasia beaverhausen

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2019, 04:22:58 PM »

Funny how I never realised that the Motto of the prince of Wales was german... Confused

True, but it’s recently changed to “Ich zahle”
Kaiserin

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2019, 06:35:58 PM »

Best post of the day!   Star
Diogenes
Board Helper
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2019, 06:53:22 PM »

Laughing Yikes Laughing
rainbow

Warned
Micro Member

Western Sahara Western Sahara

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2019, 07:23:15 PM »

I'm sure the monarchy will survive QEII. I wonder if some day in the distant future the heir will have a mental disease what will they do? Try to cover up, go ahead with him/her no matter how serious, because they are Godsend and everyone must obey.  That's the main reason I don't like monarchies, there is no room for people who can really make a difference. All the privileges are received by some just because they were born in the right family. Thankfully a monarch is no longer that important.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: