Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: George H.W. Bush dead at 94  (Read 3125 times)
genegal43

Large Member

All I got was a Nancy Pearl Action Figure...

Ignore
« on: December 01, 2018, 05:09:51 PM »

Former President George H.W. Bush passed away last night:

https://www.yahoo.com/gma...-abc-news-topstories.html

Genealogy: shrinking the world one person at a time!
Elissa

Ginormous Member

France France

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 05:16:56 PM »

Just months after the passing of his wife Barbara... A bit like Richard Nixon dying less than one year after his beloved Pat.

RIP.

pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 06:03:38 PM »

Just months after the passing of his wife Barbara... A bit like Richard Nixon dying less than one year after his beloved Pat.

RIP.

I wondered how much longer he would live.  Men so often "follow" their wives, so to speak.

I am not a Republican or a conservative, but I met his son Jeb a few years ago, and he was actually a very nice person.  I would never have voted for him, and I certainly disagreed with all of his policy positions, but Jeb seemed like a genuinely kind guy once politics were removed from the equation. I suspect the same for his father and brother.  I actually kind of like GW now that he's no longer our president. 

May George Senior rest in peace.
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 07:41:27 PM »

For me he leaves a bad taste in my mouth remembering his remarks that if he found out his grandchild was gay, he would "love his child", but tell him homosexuality wasn't normal and discourage him from working for gay rights, which manifested in his support for excluding gays from military service and his opposition to include sexual preference into anti-discrimination statute.

Nevertheless, I hope his soul finds redemption and peace.

editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 08:34:41 PM »

He seems to have been a genuinely kind human being, and we sorely miss the kind of civility in politics he embodied. But he also put Dan Quayle "a heartbeat away from the presidency" and put Clarence Thomas Dead on the Supreme Court. Both those things really mar his legacy, IMO.
jolene

Small Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 02:30:32 AM »

RIP George. He's now with Barbara.  Hug
cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 02:32:17 AM »

And Robin
anastasia beaverhausen

Huge Member

Gone Too Soon!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 02:33:27 AM »

He seems to have been a genuinely kind human being, and we sorely miss the kind of civility in politics he embodied. But he also put Dan Quayle "a heartbeat away from the presidency" and put Clarence Thomas Dead on the Supreme Court. Both those things really mar his legacy, IMO.

This.  Star

The current administration is all of the bad policies, with none of the civility and appreciation for the office.
Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

wannabe Lesbaru driver

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 02:38:57 AM »

Rest in peace, Mr. President. He was a good one but he's home now with Barbara and Robin. He had a long exemplary life of service we can all learn from.
Duchess of Verona

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 03:28:00 PM »

While I most often disgreed with his policies, I never doubted that he a profoundly decent man who put service to his country before himself, from the time that he was the youngest aviator in WWII onwards. The world is poorer without the civility he espoused. Godspeed, and fair skies Mr President.
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Pitcairn Pitcairn

"The gauntlet is definitely thrown down. Stay safe

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 04:46:07 PM »

Cartoon depicting the POTUS, FLOTUS and their daughter Robin reunited in heaven. Caption "We waited for you."
https://www.usatoday.com/...ching-cartoon/2172695002/

Clarion Ledger cartoonist Marshall Ramsey shows Bush flying his TBM Avenger, the same plane he flew in the Navy during World War II, up into the clouds to join his wife who passed away in April and their young daughter who died from leukemia at age 3 in 1953.

You might need a tissue.
griet

Small Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 05:44:09 PM »

Many tissues for me...  Cry Cry that cartoon is so delicate and still so incredibly moving...
LarLa

Micro Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 06:19:34 PM »

The photo with his service dog are killing me  Cry
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2018, 06:47:39 PM »

I remember President Bush for two things:
Together with the German Chancellor Kohl and Russia's Gorbachov he ended the Cold War. He had been vice Pres under Reagan, when the peace talks started, but he was the man in the White House when the Berlin Wall fell.

Desert Storm and Desert Shield: I have to admit, that I had been much too green about foreign politics, but when my husband /then bf got his marching orders my world fell apart. Seriously the Cold War was over, where did that new threat come from???

So yes those two things are his legacy. But I still remember him to be a decent and integre man. Something I do sadly not think of other politicians and certain not of the current.

RIP 41

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Duchess of Verona

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 07:38:28 PM »

CNN is saying that Prince Charles will attend his funereal, which is most unusual.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: